November 30, 2015
People, habitat destruction is real. Habitat destruction is the leading cause of extinction (Hogan). Climate change is real. The earth is warming at an ever increasing rate. Malnutrition is a major issue all over the world, with 800 million people who are malnourished today(“Hunger Statistics.”). Problems that are connected with population and overconsumption are only going to increase in the coming years, by 2050 there will be around 9.6 billion people (Kochar). One solution that requires very little effort on a personal level that will take away some of the great burdens that we are facing, is to stop eating meat. Without eating meat, our world could handle not only more people, but conserve precious resources for future generations.
Habitat destruction is a major issue. The leading cause of of extinction in the world is habitat destruction. Some major parts of habitat destruction are farming and deforestation (Hogan). The biggest reason for deforestation is a need for more land to plant crops that are going to go to livestock. The thing is, we do not need more land for livestock. There is already in the United States alone 788 million acres of land being used for crops and pasture, and that’s only necessary because people eat those livestock (“U.S. Could Feed…“). Deforestation also causes soil erosion, which in turn makes it harder for plants to live in that area. Without plants to hold the soil together, there is even further soil erosion, and the death of many animal species. The dust bowl is a good example of this process. The land becomes desert and an ecosystem is destroyed. The key is to make land use more efficient, because we will stil...
... middle of paper ...
...e in helping our world.
Hogan, Michael. “Habitat Destruction.” Encyclopedia of Earth. N.p., 10 June 2012. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
“Hunger Statistics.” World Food Programme. World Food Programme, n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
Ishler, Virginia. “Carbon, Methane Emissions and the Dairy Cow.” Penn State Extension. Penn State Agricultural College of the Sciences, May 2008. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
Kochhar, Rakesh. “10 Projections for the Global Population in 2050.” Pewsreaserch. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
“One Acre Feeds a Person.” farmland lp. One Market, 2014. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
“Triple Whopper of Environmental Impact of Global Meat Production.” Science Time. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
“U.S. Could Feed 800 Million People with Grain That Livestock Eat, Cornell Ecologist Advises Animal Scientists.” Cornell University. N.p., 7 Aug. 1997. Web. 3 Dec. 2015. .
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- TOPIC Why we should use seatbelt when driving a car SPECIFIC PERPOSE To persuade my audience to use the seat belt in car. CENTRAL IDEA There are three reasons why we should use seat belt when driving which are preventing death when an accident occurs, cultivate themselves too not violate the law and protecting our passengers. INTRODUCTION I. Seatbelt is a very important component when we all drive a car or other vehicle. The main purpose of seat belts is to provide greater safety to the driver when driving car but at the moment, people do not care about the importance of wearing seatbelt.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- In an exceedingly vast forest in Mexico, the world’s largest woodpecker is flying around rummaging for food from tree to tree. The bird measures about two inches tall, the males have a red-sided crest and have black feathers, and the feminine is all black, towards the bottom, they both have white plumages towards the tail, and a protracted beck. The fowl is an Imperial Woodpecker, it subsist on fruits, nuts, carpenter ants and beetle larvae. This feathered friend exists peacefully in this forest.... [tags: Ecology]
2065 words (5.9 pages)
- "If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us." -- David Suzuki Imagine this: bulldozers growl and grind through a local field, while the whine of chainsaws echoes from a nearby grove of trees. The trees crash to the ground, only to be cut up for firewood or sent to a sawmill, and the remaining ground is cleared of stumps and plowed. The tall grasses and brush in the field are demolished, leaving behind churned-up soil.... [tags: Loss of Biodiversity]
1326 words (3.8 pages)
- Something that I have never shared is that I did Academic Decathlon in High School. Speech was one of topics that I struggled with when I was involved in it for two years. Believe me when I say that my progress from then to now has come a long way. Right after giving my persuasive speech, I had a lot of negative thoughts that were floating in my head. I felt that there has been little process in all of this time that I have spent trying to learn to communicate more effectively. Worst of all perhaps, I felt powerless to do anything to change this.... [tags: Speech, Rhetoric, Oratory, Public speaking]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- I. Introduction A. Attention Getter: Has anyone ever stopped to help you when you were in need. How did it make you feel. B. Thesis Statement: Volunteering in your local community will help those around you and help you feel like you have contributed something positive and it is easier than most people think. C. Speaker Credibility Statement: If we all did our part to help those in need, our community would be a better and safer place to live. By doing this, we can achieve a greater sense of accomplishment.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that that solar power should become the main form of alternative energy in the Unites States. Introduction: Attention Getter: Let’s look ahead fifty years and see what the world is like. Imagine a world that is in total war with no end in sight. The cause behind this war is simple, oil. Everyone is fighting over those last few reserves of oil. How can this future be prevented. The answer is solar power. Claim: Solar power has the potential to become the United States main supply of energy and replace are needs for more conventional and harmful forms of power generation.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that each individual must take responsibility for his or her own actions. The must not blame guns for problems caused by people. . . Attention Grabber: Gun control isn't about guns, its about control . Body of Speech . I'd like to read a quote by our 3rd president Thomas Jefferson. "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Habitat Destruction Overview In this new age of technology and advances in every possible field of study, many people forget about the environment. Some will just throw their trash all over the place with no concern for the possible consequences. Of course, there are many consequences, but only one comes to my mind. That is the demolition of species’ homes or habitat destruction. Habitat destruction or habitat loss is the altering or elimination of the conditions that plants and animals need to survive.... [tags: essays research papers]
1568 words (4.5 pages)
- Why Girls Need Stem And Stem Needs
- Iago 's Subconscious Motive Of Shakespeare 's Othello
- Life After Humans - Life Before Humans
- Persuasion Is At The Heart Of Sales, Marketing, Branding, And Marketing
- Employee Compensation At The United States
- Ptsd The Invisible Wound : Post Traumatic Stress Disorder