Relevance: You all have probably experienced fast food sometime throughout your life.
Credibility: The first thing that comes to mind when mentioning fast food is greasy, oily, unhealthy garb, yet most of us consume junk food on a daily basis anyway. There are over 300,000 different fast food restaurants in the US. People frequent them because of convenience (quick and usually cheap). In such a fast-paced society, people are eating more fast food than ever before (Stefanov, Sebastien).
Preview: I am now going to inform you about what fast food is, what a typical meal contains, why fast food is unhealthy.
I. A. What is fast food?
1. Fast food is any food that is quick, convenient, and usually inexpensive (Fast Food Facts).
a. Fast food is the term given to food that can be prepared and served very quickly. The term "fast food" refers to precooked foods such as fries or pizza that typically must be used within a few hours, or they become dried out and unpalatable (Ali, Sam).
b. Fast food places like McDonalds, Burger King, Jack-in-the-box, Wendy’s, Whataburger, etc., are all considered fast food restaurants.
II. A. A typical meal and some facts
1. According to the "Nutritional Facts" that are posted on McDonald's web site, one Big Mac contains 540 calories and 29 grams of fat, which is 45 percent of the national recommended daily value based on a 2,000-calorie diet, according to McDonald's. One large order of fries contains 500 calories and 25 grams of fat, which is 38 percent of the recommended daily value. The 32-ounce Coca-Cola Classic adds another 310 calories (Ali, Sam).
a. Harvested potatoes contain about 80 pe...
... middle of paper ...
"Fast Food Facts." Center for Young Women's Health. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2011.
"Fast food facts from the Super Size Me Web site ." The VivaVegie Society, Inc. . N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2011.
Manohar, Uttara. "Fast Food Facts: Effects of Fast Food." Buzzle Web Portal: Intelligent Life on the Web. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2011.
Stefanov, Sebastien. "fast food calories - AskMen." AskMen - Men's Online Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2011.
White, Janice. "Why Fast Food is Bad for You." HubPages. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Apr. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that that solar power should become the main form of alternative energy in the Unites States. Introduction: Attention Getter: Let’s look ahead fifty years and see what the world is like. Imagine a world that is in total war with no end in sight. The cause behind this war is simple, oil. Everyone is fighting over those last few reserves of oil. How can this future be prevented. The answer is solar power. Claim: Solar power has the potential to become the United States main supply of energy and replace are needs for more conventional and harmful forms of power generation.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- ... This figure is an intimidating figure because it show the occurrence of death in a crash. In this accident, the leading cause of death is people under the age of 35 years old. Safety belts can prevent death in about half of these accident. B. A seat belt help us by holding us in the car and keep people being throw around and out of the car. Many injury occur when a person inside the car collides with the steering, wheel, dashboard, windshield, the roof or other. (Transition: Let’s take a look on what is the second reason why we should wear seat belt when driving car) II. The second point is can cultivate themselves too not violate government law.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
714 words (2 pages)
- Persuasive Speech: Same sex marriages General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade the audience to agree that same-sex marriages should not be legal Central Idea: The audience will realize the vices and social disorders created by legalization of same sex marriages in order to preserve marital norms INTRODUCTION I. Same sex marriage is a trending topic if not a trendy one. Countries throughout the globe are pressured with the question of homosexuality being an issue of right or morality.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- ... So it fashioned in me a security apprehension that will benefit all. Preview Statement: This white paper examines the current state and nature of the mobile payments, some of the relevant enabling technologies, and looks at the relevant risk, security and assurance issues that security and audit professionals will want to consider when developing and evaluating mobile payment services. Development of the need: What does the Starbuck application lacks at. A. It lacks at creating barriers for hackers trying to hack into an account.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Main Point C: and then finally, talk about its effectiveness and who can consider the use of this type of emergency contraception as an alternative. Transition: The interest in the morning pill had increased in the last years. II. Body Main Point A: FDA approved the distribution of the morning-after pill since 1999 (Emergency Contraception: Plan B, n.d). But even today, in some places it is not practiced and is disapproved, since it is not a simple subject, people is influenced much on their religious beliefs or opinion of others, also generally have a wrong image of the action of this pill.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
682 words (1.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience to view oceanic exploration as a valuable undertaking. INTRODUCTION I. Opening Statement: Forget about exploring outer space, we should concentrate on something a lot closer that we only know a small fraction about - Earth’s oceans. II. Central Idea: To show the benefits of Government funded exploration and examination of the oceanic environments across the globe. III. Credibility Statement: I have gathered information from various online sources and periodicals to illustrate the importance of our undersea environment.... [tags: Persuasive Speech]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Henry Ford has released his invention to the public. It is a horseless carriage that he calls the automobile. He has told us that this contraption will eventually be made available to the entire world. This is going to have a radical change on our society, as we know it. Each and every person out there should have an automobile. Every person’s daily chore time would be cut in half. Daily trips to town would be made in only a few short hours. Supplies from the cities would come twice as fast to the smaller towns.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- General Purpose: Speech to Persuade Specific Purpose: To get my audience to be pro on legalizing marijuana Thesis Statement: Marijuana isn't harmful and should be legalized Organizational Pattern: Cause and Effect To the AIDS or cancer patient, marijuana is the plant that fights nausea and appetite loss. To the nutritionist, its seed is second only to the soybean in nutritional value and is a source of cooking oil and vitamins. To the paper or cloth manufacturer, it is the plant that provided much of our paper and clothing for hundreds of years and produces four times more fiber per acre than trees.... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech ]
1717 words (4.9 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that each individual must take responsibility for his or her own actions. The must not blame guns for problems caused by people. . . Attention Grabber: Gun control isn't about guns, its about control . Body of Speech . I'd like to read a quote by our 3rd president Thomas Jefferson. "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an... [tags: Example Persuasive Speech]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Introduction: I. Ferrets are amusing creatures that can make good pets. II. Many people would be interested in a low maintenance pet that is softer than a turtle and more affectionate than a goldfish. III. I currently have three ferrets. I got my first one about five years ago. I found my second and third ferrets a couple of years later at the Oregon Ferret Shelter, where I ended up adopting them for a modest price. I have also volunteered at the shelter now and then and have learned a lot about them.... [tags: Persuasive Speech, Argumentative Speech]
939 words (2.7 pages)