The field tree was such an odd choice of location for my grandmother’s ashes, but my aunts and uncles were adamant about this decision because of the love she had for its beauty. It’s such a shame that it takes a tragic, life-changing experience before most people to appreciate life itself; this was my story and what possibly saved my life.
Five years ago I was an entirely different person, the woman I am today despises who I used to be. I was living between my parent’s house and my ex-boyfriend’s (Jason) grandmothers house at age 26; an overweight, unemployed party animal with no drive, motivation, or intention of ever doing anything different. Jason’s sister, Larae, was my best friend. She was a single parent of 2 children living in the projects and living on welfare. We partied and drank with no responsibilities, and I thought this was the way life was and will always be. Jason was very verbally and physically abusive. He cheated on me almost every day and treated me like trash. At this point in my life I had such low self-esteem that I wouldn’t ever think of leaving him. My parents, both disabled, worried about me 24/7 and feared for my safety every single day and night. I had not one care in the world of what I was putting them through, nor anyone else; I was so wrapped up in my own personal issues and constantly stressed out from staying up every night, devastated knowing Jason was cheating on me.
My grandmother and I never really had a close relationship. I never called her grandma, she would always say it made her feel old, so we called her “mom” at her request. She lived out on her farm and had a lot of work to do with cattle and other chores; she was also a bit strange when it came to family affection. I knew I love...
... middle of paper ...
...tal and continue with this healthy lifestyle. Last year I met my current boyfriend, Mike, who treats me with more respect than I ever thought existed. He has shown me that relationships are not supposed to be that way and makes me feel loved and appreciated, I have never felt more content and happy. No more sleepless nights of wondering who my significant other is sleeping with, this alone feels surreal. I landed a job at Mayo clinic Urgent Care a year ago and still continue to work there today. Mike and I live together in a beautiful apartment, pay our bills, and drive new cars. I can’t help thinking this is some kind of miracle, but it is not; this is the result of the strength and motivation I gained from being nothing, showing myself and my family that I can and I will be the person they always knew I could be. Thank you, grandma ‘mom’ Donna, you changed my life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As I write this statement of purpose, I look back at my journey of a student who came from a very humble background and with hard work and sincerity towards academics he could pave his way to becoming a part of state’s top engineering college. My winding journey has generated an ample amount of confidence in me and today I stand firm with open arms to embrace the further challenges, both, personal as well as professional. In last three years of engineering I have developed a great amount of respect and conviction for my field- computer science and the way it has transformed the life of people.... [tags: engineering, computers, education]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- The sun exploded into a million shades of orange. I sat, friends at each side, atop a monstrous pile of boulders. I looked over the vastness of Joshua Tree National Park, and saw a glimpse of myself. Love filled my soul; love of people, love of family. The backcountry has always helped me find this love; it has been my personal north star, shepherding me toward research and medicine. I started backpacking at 13, trekking across the winter-harsh lands of Idaho and Montana. It was difficult, but despite this, a feeling welled within me that pushed me forward.... [tags: Medical School Admissions Essays 2014]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- A plethora of controversial subjects and debates emerges in the field of paleoanthropology. The subject of what constitutes a new human species materializes tension within the field. The debates that arise from paleoanthropologist tend to be personal. This results from ambition and lifelong quests for recognition, funding, and fame, can make it difficult for paleoanthropologists to admit when they are wrong (Luskins). Therefore, research released by paleoanthropologist can cause conflict for students, teachers, and fellow specialist.... [tags: Human evolution, Human, Africa, Paleoanthropology]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- Following this I have two weeks off school so I that can celebrate Christmas. I like Christmas mainly because of the food, by this time my little sister is five months old, my parents decided to call her Apphia, my mother told that me it meant fruitful. She’s crawling all over the house and has a huge problem with wearing clothes, it doesn’t matter whether it has buttons, a zip or a knot she always finds a way to take it off. I find it hilarious watching her run out in just diapers after my mum has spent the last half hour dressing her up but it’s winter so my mum decides to put her jumper on backwards so she can’t take it off, naturally Apphia tries but she struggles and ends up falling asl... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Mother]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Finance is a field that had always fascinated me right from my undergraduate college days. What make me interested in this particular field of study are the art of finance and the complexity of investment market which would allow me to employ my personal skills, such as analytical and communication skills, along with my personal characteristics such as dedication and compassion for what I do. As one of the most important sector in the world, I believe it would provide me with a broad range of career options.... [tags: Personal Statement Examples]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- It must be a consistent push, a push that may imperceptible at first. This push must be consistent and it must have the proper motives. Once the goal is clear, the pursuer must be in for the long run. The flywheel doesn’t move easily. It’s not easy to move from Good to Great. I want to move from Good to Great during my college experience in a few different ways. First of all, by the end of college I want to be highly educated in my field. I desire to have applicable skills in my field, relative knowledge and understanding, and real life work experience in my field by the time my four or five years are up.... [tags: Happiness, Need, Economics, Want]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Personal Statement Growing up, I had no interest in Biology, let alone working within the medical field. My father was a repair man and I wanted to continue that legacy and become an engineer. I was the kid that everyone hid screwdrivers from when I came around, because they knew I would disassemble any and every single thing I could get my hands on. Mechanical components and their interactions between one another intrigued me to the point of obsession. It wasn’t until the summer of tenth grade that I had my initial contact with the medical field.... [tags: Physician, Patient, Medicine]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- Personal Statement Please discuss the following items in the order given. Briefly respond to all areas listed. 1. How was your interest in Pharmacy as a career developed. Since my early schooling days, science and mathematics have always fascinated me given that all components of the world are explained on the basis of these disciplines. In this regard, Pharmacy which is based on Chemistry and Mathematics has interested me a great deal as it has direct impacts on our daily lives. The more I have become familiar with the chemistry and mathematics knowledge involved in pharmacy, the more I have appreciated its significance in improving the lives of people in the community.... [tags: Admissions Statement]
1564 words (4.5 pages)
- I have been working as a parent liaison for the past 12 years a parent liaison is someone who works in the school system assisting parents with education in the parental field trying to help with computer skills phone skills and simple thing professional phone skills. I do daily attendance as I work with the school truancy department to make sure that the parents understand the important of education. I also coach college cheerleaders and teach dance. Just to live comfortable and it is very hard.... [tags: Personal Experience]
2255 words (6.4 pages)
- Growing up as the son of a rural Iowa veterinarian, I got my first experience in a medical field while riding along with my dad on calls, and from an early age my interest was piqued. It was the first of multiple experiences that pointed me toward a career in physical therapy. In my elementary and junior high years, a couple of elderly neighbor ladies often called on me to help them with chores around their homes and yards. This is where I first discovered my love of working to help others. It was rewarding beyond any payment to know that I was helping them live independently a little longer, even if I was only playing a small part by doing their odd jobs.... [tags: Personal Experience]
754 words (2.2 pages)