Being able to speak in public will be essential for students to success. The ability to communicate is just as important as the technical skills we learn for whatever job we desire to do. Speech class will increase our ability to communicate with other human beings. For our second presentation, the class was divided into four groups. Each group was given a theme to present about in front of the class. The first group talked about the challenges facing our environment. The second group’s theme was education. The third group talked about hunger. The fourth group’s theme was prejudice. In addition, each group talked about its service learning projected which was connected to the theme they had. I was a member of the forth group. I think all of the presentations were interesting, and each groups did a great job in presenting the subject.
I, with my classmates in the fourth group, were given the prejudice theme. The theme was very interesting. We talked about different types of prejudice such as racism, sexism, and ageism. We also talked about a controversial subject n...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Growing up as the son of a rural Iowa veterinarian, I got my first experience in a medical field while riding along with my dad on calls, and from an early age my interest was piqued. It was the first of multiple experiences that pointed me toward a career in physical therapy. In my elementary and junior high years, a couple of elderly neighbor ladies often called on me to help them with chores around their homes and yards. This is where I first discovered my love of working to help others. It was rewarding beyond any payment to know that I was helping them live independently a little longer, even if I was only playing a small part by doing their odd jobs.... [tags: Personal Experience]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- As I began to read the Keynote Address I also began to think that I know all about this thing. Some of it because we went over some of the particulars in the address, in class, but mostly because I am a certain age and have some experience with life. However, I was wrong. What really happened was a calmness came over me in that I don’t have to know it all. I don’t today have to be an expert in counseling. I am aware there has to be strengths and weakness in a person per this profession and I am aware of some of mine, however; I imagine that there will always be more revealed in strengths and weakness as we move forward into our classes and we actually begin to work with clients... [tags: Psychology, Mental health professional]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- In life, we rarely have the chance for a do-over, but I feel like returning to college is mine. Throughout high school, my grades were never above average and until about a couple of years ago I considered myself to be unintelligent. What I failed to see was my level of commitment. Once I began applying myself, the grades earned reflected that. This concept coincides to my public speaking ability. Many students, including myself, walk into a speech class thinking that it will be the Easy A of the semester and quite frankly I devoted a good amount of time and hard work to earn my A’s and B’s for this course.... [tags: speech, presentation, audience]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- I currently work in a research lab part of Ames Lab under the supervision of of a doctor. The research I am currently involved in is trying to find a ferromagnetic compound that reduces the amount of expensive rare earth used in industrial magnets. Currently the industrial standard for anisotropic Ferro magnets used in all types of consumer electronics is Nd2Fe14B. This has a ratio of 2 rare earth atoms to 15 non rare earth atoms. Our research group is trying to find a compound that lowers this ratio.... [tags: research, renewable energy, gender equality]
1382 words (3.9 pages)
- During my interviews for my communication assignment I found an array of answers. Some were very direct and I knew exactly what was being said, and the rest were left up to my interpretation. I chose to ask 5 different people so that I could hit every level in my life to fully understand what my strengths are. These five people being my boss, two of my dance class girls, my co-worker/friend, and my aunt. I have been working under my boss, Mr. Ali, going on about two years now at an after school program.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication, Leadership]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- Good evening, friends, families, fellow classmates, Curley staff, and all else who may be visiting today. I felt the need to distinguish the two separate groups, friends and classmates, due to the sole reason that almost all of you are not my friends, nor do I ever hope you will be. Quite frankly, it is not just that I simply not like you all, I actually dislike most of you. Do not take this too personal though, I am just very excited to finally leave all of you and go our separate ways, except for those who are going to the same college as I am, in which case I hope that we avoid crossing paths again.... [tags: Cellular respiration, Adenosine triphosphate]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Extended Goal Statement I sat in my child development class in a “brick and mortar” classroom setting. What was I doing there. I was extremely interested in what the professor was speaking on and what was being discussed. However, I was beginning to doubt whether I wanted to continue in my current field of study, Speech/Language Pathology. I no longer felt I was being fulfilled. There was something lacking. I talked to a few of my friends who mentioned how much money I would make as a Speech/Language Pathologist.... [tags: Personal Experience Essay]
1060 words (3 pages)
- ... For the past few years I have travelled to different cities in China, visiting cultural and historical sites. While walking on my feet through the viewpoints instead of joining in tours, I greatly improved my independence and patience. In 2010, I was honorable to be one of the representatives to participate a one-month exchange student program at Stadthagen, Germany. Although I have joined an Ecology Camp in Inner Mongolia held by the Chinese National Geography Magazine in 2008, this was totally a different experience for me to home stay in a German family.... [tags: optimistic, devoted, eduation]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Do we stigmatize. I found this quote “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money,” said Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum about welfare. This statement was very shocking to me, how someone who is so influential can disrespect one community over other. I believe this is not ethically right to stigmatize someone before knowing them. When influential personal make stigmatize statement then other assume that it is true i.e. only black Americans are on welfare wasting government money, which is not the case.... [tags: Social class, Sociology, Middle class]
707 words (2 pages)
- This is the speech delivered by President Bill Clinton at the annual White House prayer breakfast on Friday, September 11, 1998, to an audience of more than 100 ministers, priests and other religious leaders. First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton was also in attendance. The speech, written in long hand by the president, was delivered at the beginning of a day of tremendous political and personal turmoil surrounding the publication of the first report to Congress by Independent Counsel Ken Starr. The Starr Report, published on the Internet about 2 p.m.... [tags: essays research papers]
570 words (1.6 pages)