My parents are two of the most hardworking people I know. Although a college dropout, my father is now an engineer at Boeing, while my mother ran a successful daycare until I started high school. With no qualms about sacrificing time, money, or respect, my parents chose to close my mother’s daycare to better homeschool my three siblings and me and leave my father to single-handedly support our family of six. Till I started attending Seattle Central Community College (SCCC) as a Running Start student, I was homeschooled, but it wasn’t till then did I appreciate the sacrifices my parents had made.
I had finally learned what my parents had been trying to teach me. Family is the basic unit of civilization, like a cell was the most basic unit of living organisms. Despite all the turmoil that may occur, family is important. Blood is important. Although Running Start had been my mother’s idea, I wanted my parents to know the time they invested in me was worthwhile. I refused to let t...
... middle of paper ...
As a structural engineer, I plan to enhance the quality of life by building facilities of unorthodox yet sustainable and durable design—art that can endure tumultuous storms, fluctuating temperatures, and dynamic humans, art that houses, shelters, and saves lives, and art that builds the future. Additionally, I plan to gain management experience to eventually open a firm, an aspiration sparked by my parents who ran their own small businesses.
My parents would often tell me, “We want you to be success.” They mean “successful,” but what I hope to achieve by becoming a structural engineer is be a unit of “success,” a piece of success. My parents have spent time and energy into unlocking the potential they saw in me. I would like to inspire people by building structures no one believed was possible and, by doing so, unlock the potential in others.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As a student who began her college career without specific objectives, I never thought I would be writing a personal statement for an application to receive a Master’s Degree in the social work profession. However, I feel now that there is no other future for me than that of offering my education and personal commitment to vulnerable individuals in order to stabilize their lives. After careful consideration of all areas of social work, I have found that my main area of interest is in providing resources and encouragement for individuals with disabilities to gain the freedom to live independent lifestyles without discrimination.... [tags: Personal Ambition]
770 words (2.2 pages)
- Is Failure Needed for Success. Time and time again it has been said that “In order to succeed, you must first fail,” and although it sounds contradicting, the idea of “grit” is all about that. Teachers are always known to give the push and the support when it is needed, but what if failure is instead brought into the spotlight. Instead of pushing past the failures, should teachers highlight them in order to help students grow. Thomas R. Hoerr is the head of the New City School in St. Louis. He is also the author of The Art of School Leadership and School Leadership for the Future.... [tags: Failure, Education, High school, Success]
742 words (2.1 pages)
- Two years ago, I embarked on a journey that would teach me more than I had ever imagined. As a recent college graduate, I was thrilled to finally begin my teaching career in a field I have always held close to my heart. My first two years as a special education teacher presented countless challenges, however, it also brought me great fulfillment and deepened my passion for teaching students with special needs. The experiences I have had both before and after this pivotal point in my life have undoubtedly influenced my desire to further my career in the field of special education.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Special education, School]
703 words (2 pages)
- Personal development itself involves self-awareness, self-esteem, self-direction and self-efficacy, which leads to a life of personal, family, work and social welfare, which aims to achieve a path of transformation and personal excellence to be leaders of the new century . Succeed or succeed has always been what man has in mind when starting any project or task, which is why the development of the individual has managed to obtain an important and momentous place in the last decades, appearing many authors regard.... [tags: Self-esteem, Psychology, Human, Motivation]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Self Esteem Happiness is in and of itself a complex concept; it is both the basis and product of self esteem. Self esteem is our feeling of self worth based on our accomplishments or what we believe we are capable of accomplishing. (Carr Kindle Locations 5017-5018). High self esteem has been a very controversial subject in that the development of self esteem could be derived from positive personal, social and occupational interaction or these activities could be what gives a person a high self esteem (Carr Kindle Location 5071).... [tags: Self-esteem, Motivation, Personal life, Happiness]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- . Self-employed people are generally happier at work than people working for companies . Least happy professions are: social workers, civil servants, estate agents, secretaries, administrators . Happiest jobs: Clergy, Chief Executives, Managers in agriculture, Company secretaries, Quality assurance and regulatory professionals, Health care practise managers, Medical practitioners, Farmers and hotel managers Other factors which contribute to happiness and motivation . Having a variety of tasks to do.... [tags: Happiness, Personal life, Meaning of life]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- ... Through these classes, for the first time, I had the opportunity to delve into details of the structuring and pricing of various complex financial products available in the market. Because of the subject combining financial theory with the schemes of engineering and implementing those using mathematical tools and programming methods, I could associate with the area. I can easily correlate my passion in finance and my cognitive ability to my command in mathematics. After graduating from school, I took a position of financial managerin a large trading corporation.... [tags: personal experience, skills]
686 words (2 pages)
- Northcentral University has many valuable resources that are available for students; yet the most important resource I took advantage of during the first week was meeting the mentors and my advisor. Meeting the Dean of the School of Business and Technology Management as well as other staff members during week one of the doctorate program was inspiring. Seeing the Dean and the NCU mentors face to face and hearing them speak about themselves made me realize they had once been doctorate students too; their wisdom and vision encouraged me.... [tags: Education]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- There are few certainties of what one will encounter during life. A common joke names two: death and taxes. I would be so bold as to add one more, disease. Of the three, the one certainty human beings have the most “control” over is disease. Death is inevitable and as long as governments exist, so are taxes. Disease is also inevitable, however, there are methods to combat the recurrences, spread and danger of this malady. My dream is to learn the techniques required to assist my fellow human beings in their struggle against disease.... [tags: Medical School Admissions Essays 2014]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- We all have heard the proverb that life is our best teacher. It sounds correct but many of us are afraid to learn from life. It is not the same as learning from a book. It takes a lot of courage. We can all learn from books but many of us are not capable of learning from life. It seems to me that life is rewarding for people who have courage. I was only 16 years old when I left home and started to build a new life with my family in a completely different country. I come from Pakistan, South-east Asia, and have been living in the United States of America for the last 2 years.... [tags: college, education, pakistan]
1220 words (3.5 pages)