“Could you bring her some water” my mom said to the waitress while gesturing to me.
My family usually didn 't go out together due to our busy schedules but that day both my parents and my brother were present for the impromptu dinner. We were surrounded by smiling faces but i couldn 't help the feeling that something bad was going to happen. I came to the realization that both my parents didn 't say a word since we we 're seated and in that moment i knew we weren 't there for the delicious food, nice people, or thrill of watching a game at the sports bar, we were there for the gut wrenching news they were going to tell us. how is this happening again i asked myself.
the restaurant was completely full but when i heard the word cancer i couldn 't hear anything else. my head was pounding as the tears ran down my face.
“Welcome to Chili’s seat for two?” the hostess asked my dad and me as we walked through the door. When we walked into the restaurant, I was surprised that my dad was taking me out to eat in the middle of the day. The restaurant was half empty but you can still feel that adrenaline rushing feeling that sports bars get when there’s a game on TV. I noticed my mood changed when I glanced at my dad and he had his normal “serious face” on except this time he had a hint of sadness. As we sat down, I started to realize that his sadness is the reason we are here. We weren’t here for the food, the game, or the overall nice people, but for the terrible news that is soon to come. When he started talking, I heard everything clearly, but then I heard one word that I don’t think my mind, ear...
... middle of paper ...
...hat I have learned from all of this is that HOPE rebuilds you. People tend to give up when multiple things hit them at once, but when that person has hope, they don’t see defeat or failure; they see the path to success.
So I started crying at the bar of Chili’s with my dad. He knew this was going to be harder than the last time because he is older now. I had to stay strong for my dad and my family because while he is in the hospital I am the man of the house. In life, you don’t know when bumps are going to form on your path; you also don’t know when your path is going to meet the end. You only live once and you have to live your life to the fullest. I have learned how to overcome my problems and obstacles and I know that no matter what problems I face or the bumps I hit, my first name will always be Jordan and more importantly my last name will always be HOPE!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As my mother sat across the kitchen table gazing at me, I wondered what she was thinking. “Penny for your thoughts?” I asked. She responded with a smile and said “Thank you for being you”. This simple statement led me to question: who exactly am I. What made me the way I am. Most would describe me as hard working, intellectual, and compassionate. I can show gratitude to my family for that. Although I didn’t have the easiest time growing up, it wasn’t the worst either. I have had chances of a lifetime that I seized as well as missed opportunities.... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, Parent]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- This is extremely hard for me to do. I am not one to delve into my family with friends, let alone people that I hardly know. I view my family as something of a challenge. It has always been a challenge. A challenge from how on one side of my family almost didn’t make it to America, to how I came into this world, to how I was raised, and to my adult life. I am sure that you are looking at this thinking, this might not be how I want this paper structured. But to trace how my family looks at items like divorce, economic demography, child rearing, and even life itself…it should be told this way.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Marriage, Mother]
2391 words (6.8 pages)
- Week Four Assignment My family consists of myself, my brother and our mother and father. The subsystems in my family are marital, parental and siblings. The formal roles in my family consisted of my parents providing finances to support our family, caring for the children and the household. I also had the former role of a caregiver to my younger brother when my parents were not home. As for informal roles, I am my family’s scapegoat and black sheep and the victim to people outside of my immediate family.... [tags: Family, Mother, Marriage, Father]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Family gathering is the highlights to some culture. Gathering brings out the tradition and value that signify the love and unity of families and friends. As a kid, my family gathering would be an event that I would look forward to. Amorous stare of my grandparents when they look into one another eyes of the beautiful life they created with their kids. Family gathering with food brings out every aspect in my family such as love, fruitful blessing, and most of all the sweetest gossip. Love and food go hand in hand in the Curley’s gathering.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, The Time, Love]
1460 words (4.2 pages)
- When I am asked what is my role in my family, I am lost in thought. Firstly, because of a paradoxical relationship between my family which means that my parents only want to do their own things but they still live together, I hold the opinion that I am the protector of my family. Secondly, I have two younger male cousins which are younger twelve-year-old than me. I watch and accompany them when they grow up and I want to be a good example in my family. I was born in an ordinary family which my parents made enough money and we were a happy family at the beginning, but everything changed at one day.... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, Parent]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Family involvement is critical in the educational development of a child, therefore, it is my responsibility as an educator to help families be proactive in their children’s pedagogy. A student’s learning is dependent upon many influences and a crucial factor is family involvement. Families rely upon the teacher to create a welcoming atmosphere which allows for all parties involved to work as one unit in the proliferation of knowledge. This may be accomplished by encouraging families to volunteer in the classroom, attend school functions, commit to regular parent-teacher conferences and create engaging at-home family activities.... [tags: Family, Interpersonal relationship, Academic term]
2045 words (5.8 pages)
- Some might think that it’s Ironic that my last name is Hope knowing all of the struggles that I’ve been through in the last three years… “Could you bring her some water” my mom said to the waitress while gesturing to me. My family usually didn 't go out together due to our busy schedules but that day both my parents and my brother were present for the impromptu dinner. We were surrounded by smiling faces but i couldn 't help the feeling that something bad was going to happen. I came to the realization that both my parents didn 't say a word since we we 're seated and in that moment i knew we weren 't there for the delicious food, nice people, or thrill of watching a game at the sports bar,... [tags: Family, Emotion, High school, Bar]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Personal Statement I choose to be a Family Nurse Practitioner. In many ways, it has also chosen me. I was twelve years old when I first thought of becoming a nurse. I was spending time with my elderly neighbor who was like a grandmother to me, and she had an accident. She was mortified. I ran over and got something to clean it up and started to wipe up the mess without thinking about it. “We all have accidents,” I said. After she got changed she said, “You were meant to be a nurse. Some day you will be, I just know it.” She passed away later that year and I have never forgotten that moment.... [tags: Health care, Patient, Medicine, Health]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- Most of my family and friends know that I am a kind and caring person. They know that there is nothing that I wouldn’t do for a friend or family member. They know that I love and cherish my parents, daughter and grandson. Most people think that I am stern and I cannot bend on certain things. When the truth is I am really a push over. My family and friends would describe me as a loving and always forgiving person who will give anyone the shirt off my back. My supervisor and co-workers know that I take my work seriously and I am a team player.... [tags: Family, Mother, English-language films, Parent]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Family medicine are doctor that provides basic health care to all the members of a family and patients, Family medicine treat and diagnose diseases and stop the immediate abnormal growth, family medicine care for all ages, sexes, each organ system. Family medicine also provides personal care for the individual in the community. Family medicine started in the 1800s, family medicine don’t have the proper health care the doctors only treat their patients in a small carriage or hunt houses. Doctors don’t have any training, some doctor learned family medicine as an apprentice working with other physicians and some doctors learned a small course and work at a workshop.... [tags: Physician, Medical school, Medicine, Geriatrics]
2110 words (6 pages)