Happiness is in and of itself a complex concept; it is both the basis and product of self esteem. Self esteem is our feeling of self worth based on our accomplishments or what we believe we are capable of accomplishing. (Carr Kindle Locations 5017-5018). High self esteem has been a very controversial subject in that the development of self esteem could be derived from positive personal, social and occupational interaction or these activities could be what gives a person a high self esteem (Carr Kindle Location 5071). In the article Hide and Seek by Neel Burton he provides a list of easy solutions to regaining or building your sense of self worth. My initial plan of increasing my sense of self worth is to perform more activities that work with my strengths; baking, exercising, and dancing. Burton suggests that participating in an activity that you enjoy will increase yourself worth, competence, and overall happiness. One of the other items that he suggests, which in all its simplicity helps reaffirm your positive qualities I plan to create a list of my strengths, achievements and the qualities I admire about myself, reading it at least once a week to remind myself of my positive attributes allowing them to outweigh the negativity that has arisen in my week. (Burton 2012).
In association with methods Burton’s methods to increasing self esteem, my main point to focus on in my own life is developing a better locus of control. Locus of control is about whether our actions were responsible for the outcome, or if it was our surroundings that caused the outcome. Taking responsibility for one’s action is considered to be an internal locus of control, contrarily blaming your circumstances on outside factors is an external loc...
... middle of paper ...
...ips in a new area was highly dependent upon getting yourself out there and breaking the ice with strangers.
Happiness, self esteem and positive relationships are dependent upon each other; without one your life will not be complete and the other two concepts will fall heavily on each other. In order to achieve a high self esteem your relationships need to maintain positive and uplifting in your life. Achieving a full and happy life is dependent on you feeling worthy and competent. These steps in my life are only the beginning; I plan to continue to implement what I have learned not only in my own life, but in the life of my daughter. The self reflection has provided me with insight on the negativity and benefits I have had throughout my life. Feeling content with my past, and optimistic about my future; I am ready to live in the here and now, enjoying the present.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Finance is a field that had always fascinated me right from my undergraduate college days. What make me interested in this particular field of study are the art of finance and the complexity of investment market which would allow me to employ my personal skills, such as analytical and communication skills, along with my personal characteristics such as dedication and compassion for what I do. As one of the most important sector in the world, I believe it would provide me with a broad range of career options.... [tags: Personal Statement Examples]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Personal Statement A personal statement is a document required in education programs as well as when one is applying for a job. It is a document that is written to describe a person’s strength or weakness. It is therefore an important document that one must always have ready any time anywhere. Personal statements do not have to look the same. They may be written focusing on one’s interest for example a personal statement written specifically to apply for a specific job. What appears inside is what gives that person credibility on whether to get the job or not.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Statements, Want]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Financial Analysis A mission statement is a written statement that tells others what the company does. The mission statement in a very short form explains to readers how they operate in a general sense. Mission statements are not super specific or detailed just general. “A mission statement is a concise statement of a company 's reason for being, what it actually does, and for whom. It should contain what products and services the company produces for which target market, as well as how it considers itself different or unique.... [tags: Strategic planning, Statements, Mission statement]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Personal Statement Please discuss the following items in the order given. Briefly respond to all areas listed. 1. How was your interest in Pharmacy as a career developed. Since my early schooling days, science and mathematics have always fascinated me given that all components of the world are explained on the basis of these disciplines. In this regard, Pharmacy which is based on Chemistry and Mathematics has interested me a great deal as it has direct impacts on our daily lives. The more I have become familiar with the chemistry and mathematics knowledge involved in pharmacy, the more I have appreciated its significance in improving the lives of people in the community.... [tags: Admissions Statement]
1564 words (4.5 pages)
- Statement of Purpose for Tony Harper “Never stop pursuing knowledge and education. These are things that no one can take from you regardless of what life throws at you.” This insightful piece of wisdom was offered to me by my grandfather, a professor at Northern Arizona University. He continually stressed to me that the attainment of knowledge and education are always worthwhile undertakings. For this reason I find myself unfulfilled unless some part of my days are spent actively seeking to further my current understanding of a given subject or endeavoring to learn a new one.... [tags: Personal Statement]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- I have been working as a parent liaison for the past 12 years a parent liaison is someone who works in the school system assisting parents with education in the parental field trying to help with computer skills phone skills and simple thing professional phone skills. I do daily attendance as I work with the school truancy department to make sure that the parents understand the important of education. I also coach college cheerleaders and teach dance. Just to live comfortable and it is very hard.... [tags: Personal Experience]
2255 words (6.4 pages)
- Personal Statement: My transition from high school to college was not flawless; the first two semesters were academically frustrating. In high school, I was successful with minimal foresight. I quickly found that this was not the case in college. While my first semester grades were not terrible, I knew it was not my personal best. Despite increased efforts, I completed the second semester with a GPA lower than my first. Although my course load was heavy, the classes challenging, and my schedule full of outside rehearsals, I wanted to improve.... [tags: Personal Experience]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Growing up as the son of a rural Iowa veterinarian, I got my first experience in a medical field while riding along with my dad on calls, and from an early age my interest was piqued. It was the first of multiple experiences that pointed me toward a career in physical therapy. In my elementary and junior high years, a couple of elderly neighbor ladies often called on me to help them with chores around their homes and yards. This is where I first discovered my love of working to help others. It was rewarding beyond any payment to know that I was helping them live independently a little longer, even if I was only playing a small part by doing their odd jobs.... [tags: Personal Experience]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- Law is a magnificent puppeteer which aims to control civilisations. The great philosopher Aristotle stated: 'Law should govern'. In view of that, the regulation of a society should be based on these set of rules established by an authority, which are designed to create economic, social and political stability. It is what maintains our societies and prevents an eruption of chaos and destruction. Law has an impact on everything we do, from creating a personal statement where copyright infringement laws take prevalence, deterring individuals from engaging in plagiarism, to criminal law which protects society from harmful individuals.... [tags: Personal Ambition]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- Philosophy/Personal Statement I was a bad student in high school. I didn’t study, I got bad grades, I had an attitude, and I disrespected my teachers. I’d like to believe that this was because I was brilliant and existentially bored with the pedestrian intellect of my peers. I’d like to believe that it was because my school was so retrograde and repressive that I was placed into a hopeless situation. But that wasn’t it. I wasn’t especially brilliant; my peers were actually pretty smart; and my school was, all things considered, a reasonably decent place.... [tags: Personal Experience]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- The Societal Expectations Of The Victorian Woman
- The American Dream : You Are Bones And Brittle
- The Nonexistent Female Guide For Perfection : Beyonce 's Ballad Of Gender Inequality And Discrimination
- Anti Oppressive Social Work Practice And Gender Studies
- Patient Perception Of The Hospital
- The Chicago Massacre, The And Act, And The Townsend Act