At a young age, I realized that health, in general, fascinated me. Every aspect of health made me want to learn more about it, including the health care delivery, the health care professionals, and lastly the diagnoses. After arriving in Canada and becoming accustomed to the free health care, I discovered that health care resources are difficult to find and to navigate. Initially, studying the science behind the state of health was my focus, but then I learned of the concept of social health. While pursuing my studies in Biomedical Science, I learned about how infections occur at the molecular level. However, my curiosity was not satisfied, and I started taking courses in Health Sciences. That is when it opened my eyes to the possibility of social factors such as family or work being possible causations of poor health.
Following graduation from Biomedical Science and Health Science, to increase my exposure to the health care system I began working at a medical clinic. This is where I saw the real examples of public health. Homeless patients who required medications covered by the provincial drug plan had a difficult time accessing health care as rarely did they have a family physician, thus having to wait hours in a walk-in clinic instead. Furthermore, many patients who require prescription changes waited days before obtaining their medications. Most of the time, these same patients required forms that were necessary for obtaining social support that some doctors cannot fill out for them. There are no guidelines or any simple way of navigating the health care system for these individuals, however, I tried my best to find resources for these patients, which consisted mostly of Community Health Centres.
... middle of paper ...
...o look forward to learning about population issues such as migration, aging, family dynamics, and labour markets and skills acquisition. For the practicum, I would like to pursue research based on either the youth or elderly population, particularly in the area of health promotion/interventions.
I believe studying at McGill University will expand my knowledge on current health concerns, particularly learning and navigating through the Quebec health care system. I am confident that with McGill University’s reputation as a top-ranking institution that I will be joining a supportive community committed to excellence, thus helping me reach my full potential in becoming a future public health officer. I understand that the MPH program is competitive and demanding, but I will give it my all because I am dedicated to making a difference in health care.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- D.P. receives an abundance of support in her life. She finds most of her motivation from her family because family means the world to her. The members in her family will encourage her to do her best along with attending diabetic information groups. She finds the support and motivation from her family to be a great way to help deal with her diabetes. Other family members who have diabetes or know someone else with diabetes helps her realize that this is not necessarily an ending of freedom or her life.... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Patient]
1414 words (4 pages)
- From adolescence I was aware that I would have a career in health care. I wasn’t sure what type of health career I would have or what my involvement in health care would entail. As I grew, so did my curiosity with all aspects of health. My earliest memory of my interest in health was in the 3rd grade when I was on the track team. After my first practice I first learned about heart rate and pulse. I was beyond intrigued and amazed by the correlation of heart rate and pulse. Later that year, my interest in health was subconsciously encouraged through relatives.... [tags: Nursing, Health, Public health, Health care]
1036 words (3 pages)
- I have decided to study KYN101 because it is one of the qualifications that I need for me to achieve the profession that I want to pursue. Also, it will help me gain more knowledge and understanding regarding health and social care. It will prepare me to be more effective care provider in the future. It will help me improve my skills an understanding about providing holistic care to an individual or a family and it will also provides me personal development so that I can be more confident and knowledgeable with regards to being a skilful care provider.... [tags: Learning, Study skills, Mind map, Knowledge]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Health Care Administration is a program that is designed to prepare us individuals to be able to take on the responsibilities in the health care profession as administrators or managers. There are many skills that each individual will develop as we have gone through this program; each individual has learned new and different skills depending on what background each individual came from. Although for me I believe that since I do not have much experience in the health care, I have learned a lot of new things that will help me in the long run in my career path.... [tags: Learning, Communication, Skill, Management]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- My Self Care Plan Self-care has many definitions, to me, I think self-care is the act of doing things that help decrease stress and improve the quality of life. Understanding self-care is really important in a lot of career fields but I believe the medical field demands more of the people who work in it. What I mean by this is you will see and do things that will leave you exhausted. If you do not know how to decrease that stress and exhaustion you will be burnt out very quickly. I have seen burn out happen to the most caring health care professional and it is always sad to see.... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Self-care]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Self-care often goes over looked. However, it could be one of the most important things a healthcare professional can do for themselves and the patients. Working in healthcare often consists of long hours and lots of brain power. Your mind is always on and you are always on high alert. That can be taxing on our minds, bodies, and souls. This is where self-care comes into play. Decompression can look like many things. I some play golf. Others take bi-monthly trips to the massage parlor. Some people seek solace in prayer and meditation.... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Health]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Self-care is a necessary practice in everyone’s life. This practice allows people to relax and replenished themselves. The first time I heard of this term was in during one of my social work classes. As we began to discuss self-care it became clear, that without proper self-care people, not just social workers are doing themselves a disservice. Self-care encompasses more than general rest. Self-care deals with emotional wellbeing, good health and spiritual wellbeing. All of these areas are key to having good self-care.... [tags: Health, Personal life, Quality time, Life]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- I think it is very important to have the education, skills, and knowledge to be a medical professional especially in the medical administration field. I will obtain a degree in Medical Information Technology, ATA Degree-Medical Billing Specialist Certificate and my expected graduation date is June 2017. I have over 16 years of medical administration experience and with that I also have I have a lot of medical experience as a Navy Corpsman with a wide range of specialties. The most important issue I learned in my medical career is you can have all that experience and it will not help you understand the patients that you are treating, prescribing medications, and in general directions for foll... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Health economics]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- The abilities God gave us are truly remarkable. God gave us these wonderful gifts to spread the grace of the lord. People often forget that we are borrowing our bodies from God. Our body is a temple that we need to treat with respect to glorify God. There are many ways that we can glorify god with are personal wellness. When thinking about personal wellness it is important to consider, mental, physical and spiritual health. There are a couple pieces within each of those three main points. It is crucial to maintain a healthy personal wellness in order to serve the lord.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Health care, Personal life]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- My Personal Health My personal health has been something I constantly think about. Whether it’s myself, my parents, my doctor, or others that bring it up, I’m reminded that I need to eat healthier or exercise more, etc. I know that I need to get better about what I eat and try to work more exercise into my daily routine, I just find it hard to find the motivation to go and actually accomplish what I know that I need to do. Especially in today’s society where we’re surrounded by a lot of non-healthy food, and getting access to healthy food is more expensive than the latter, it’s hard to make the better choice and choose the healthy option.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Family, Health care]
1082 words (3.1 pages)