After spending about a year volunteering at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center and completing two field placements at local hospitals, I’ve found that my best work is done with the elderly population. These experiences have molded my personal goal to crusade for the civil rights of individuals with disabilities, especially those in the older generation. Additionally, I now have a better understanding of treatments and services that are provided to individuals with disabilities. Many patients at these hospitals were admitted due to an injury or life-threatening illness. There are millions of Americans with disabilities, yet feelings of helplessness, vulnerability, and depression are often evident, as if having a disability isn’t a common occurrence. In 2005, I was in a car accident, and it broke my pelvis, fractured my C1 vertebra and required emergency surgery to remove my spleen. I was unable to sit up or get out of bed for about 2 months and was re...
... middle of paper ...
...rs. I have completed a minor in philosophy, with a strong emphasis on health care and medical ethics. I plan to carry out the best possible ethical behavior to protect the clients and staff at these social welfare institutions; my goal is to make a difference in these patients’ lives. I am seeking an MSW at the Kent School of Social Work for the purpose of gaining education, experience, and required credentials in order to prepare me in working with clients with disabilities and their families. I routinely go to workshops and continue my education outside of required classes, as this effort contributes to my wealth of knowledge surrounding geriatric social work and the duties that the profession requires. I am consumed with excitement and eagerness to begin the transition from student to professional, and I appreciate your consideration to help me reach my goal.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have been working as a social worker for the past three years. In all these years, it has always been my desire and passion to acquire enhanced social skills and knowledge to help me empower disadvantaged individuals and families take control of their lives. My desire therefore to pursue a Masters of Social Work degree (MSW) has been inspired by over three years of continuous work with families, children, youths and adults who require support to cope and combat oppressive structures and social injustices.... [tags: statement of purpose, career choices]
773 words (2.2 pages)
- Computer Science was a logical culmination of my fascination for computers. Having done four year course in computer science and engineering, I would like to fortify my skills with the help of a master’s degree, which will equip me with the up-to-date tools and knowledge that are the need of the hour. My long term aim of securing a challenging position where I can effectively contribute my skills as software professionals, possessing competent technical skills can be achieved with the help of a master’s degree, that has hands on experience in real time applications accompanied by in-depth knowledge of the subject.... [tags: computer science, education]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- The difficult road I’ve travelled over the past few years has taught me the invaluable virtue of patience and unyielding diligence. It has brought clarity and direction to my life as far as personal growth and my vocational aspiration. I am endlessly inspired by one of my favorite quotes, “Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved” — Helen Keller (1880-1968). I struggled during my undergraduate years through the tragic loss of many loved ones in my life due to fatal car accidents and suicide.... [tags: family, undergraduate, education, research]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- To include myself in an aspect that crucially shapes society is a thrilling opportunity that I have a lot of fascination for. Studying a degree in Law will help give me greater insight to this field of interest. Recognising how much the laws of society are constantly changing sparks particular interests in me because the English legal system is constantly evolving: This gives me a sense of strong inspiration to contribute to this modern society in the Law field. At a very young age, my outgoing personality and confident nature has made the subject of Law a suitable and huge interest.... [tags: career choices, statement of purpose]
564 words (1.6 pages)
- Statement of Philosophy and Educational Goals In the following report, I will be discussing my personal philosophy on education and my educational goals. My philosophy will include some of my personal opinions on the nature of students, the nature of knowledge, the purpose of public education, teaching methods and the importance of curriculum. My educational goals will focus on my development plans and future education. I feel that it is natural for students, or for that matter anyone, to want to learn.... [tags: Philosophy of Education Statement Teachers Essays]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- ... In A levels, I studied biology which gave me an academic foundation that is necessary for a career in science and provided me with knowledge of how human life evolved. Mathematics helped me solve problems from different angles and work in a logical and critical manner. These subjects gave me a drive to further my education in science and learn more about how it shapes our planet. The aspects of natural science program that attracts me the most is the multidisciplinary course which holds a unique opportunity, where I could freely choose which subjects that I want to study.... [tags: natural science, biology, culture]
547 words (1.6 pages)
- When I graduated from high school I, like many students, had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. I thought that going to college, without any idea of what degree to get, would be a waste of money and time; so I made the decision to hold off on college. Ten years later, and after much deliberation and research, I found my calling to be psychology. The first step in becoming a clinical psychologist is to obtain a bachelor’s degree. It doesn’t have to be in psychology, in fact you can get an undergraduate degree in anything and then apply for a master’s degree in psychology, but I want to know as much as possible about psychology before I get into my Ph.D.... [tags: bachelor's degree, sociology, graduate]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE I have always believed to set a goal, focused on it, achieve the goal and then again set another goal to achieve that. With the work experience of two years that has imparted the basic skills and knowledge of the professional field; I would like to put my next step to achieve my goal by pursuing Master degree in Computer Science. I have done my schooling from ST.JOSEPH’S HIGH SCHOOL which was one of the best Christian Minority institutions located at Kothagudem, Andhra Pradesh, India .I was strongly motivated to pass my tenth class exams with over 77 percent marks.... [tags: computer science, education]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- Social Work Social work is located within some of the most complex problems and perplexing areas of human experience, and for this reason, social work is, and has to be, a highly skilled activity.” (Trevithick, 2000,p.1) Explain the meaning of this statement, and consider whether it is an adequate definition of the nature of social work. The aim of this assignment is to discuss the interpretation of the statement given above, to analyse this definition and compare it to others that are available and to conclude by discussing whether this is an adequate definition in... [tags: Papers]
1907 words (5.4 pages)
- Personal Statement: My transition from high school to college was not flawless; the first two semesters were academically frustrating. In high school, I was successful with minimal foresight. I quickly found that this was not the case in college. While my first semester grades were not terrible, I knew it was not my personal best. Despite increased efforts, I completed the second semester with a GPA lower than my first. Although my course load was heavy, the classes challenging, and my schedule full of outside rehearsals, I wanted to improve.... [tags: Personal Experience]
732 words (2.1 pages)