I remember one time when I was working in a restaurant, I got feedback from a co-worker. He told me that I should go back to my country because I as Mexican was taking white people their jobs. Months later he apologized to me and told me that he had made a mistake. I think his feedback was base on prejudice some people have about Mexicans. Stereotype is the categorization about people based on membership in a group (Canary, Cody, & Manusov, p. 139). My coworker based his feedback in the stereotype in which Mexican have been placed. Now the feedback that I get from others about their perception of me is that I am a very enthusiastic, friendly and helpful woman. Everyday at work I try to be very positive and I like to transmit hope to the people around me. I also like to help people when they ask for it.
The text defines con...
... middle of paper ...
... identify conflicts and I will help to solve or minimize them. More over, I am a better communicator because now I set up my goals of the messages I want to transmit, in order to have a more effective communication. It also will help me with people that have a different style of mine. If a person has their goals well established he or she would not have problem with people who lack effective communication skills because through their message they can change the way they think. With the knowledge we got in this course we can communicate with people who have different values or believes because we have learned the fundamentals of verbal messages. We also have learned that during a conversation we could change topics to get more information about others. The main point is that we as effective communicators must have our goals well established in order to achieve them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Finance is a field that had always fascinated me right from my undergraduate college days. What make me interested in this particular field of study are the art of finance and the complexity of investment market which would allow me to employ my personal skills, such as analytical and communication skills, along with my personal characteristics such as dedication and compassion for what I do. As one of the most important sector in the world, I believe it would provide me with a broad range of career options.... [tags: Personal Statement Examples]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- 1. Choose a specific non-verbal area, as discussed in the lecture and text that you feel is essential to interpersonal communication. Describe what it is and defend why it is essential. Points will be earned by the description and argument you make. Nonverbal communication is more credible – it means that although we often hear the spoken message, during certain events, what we do is more credible that what we say. This is the case when we scare someone and that person tries to deny he/she was scared, however his/her reaction gives away the true feeling.... [tags: Communication, Sociology, Nonverbal communication]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- My intended major is Communications. In my opinion, Communications is a very intriguing field where I get to learn about the process of everyday interaction and how what we say or do can affect people. Not only is this a fascinating major, but being able to understand anyone and communicating effectively can be very helpful for future careers such as business, law enforcement and teaching . As a matter of fact, communication is vital for just about anything we do. We can’t go one day without processing some form of communication; whether it be intrapersonal, interpersonal, nonverbal, etc.... [tags: Communication, Communication studies, Sociology]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- When I received the instructions for this final project I was terrified, not only because it was my first week of college but also because I did not think I was capable of completing the assignment. After a couple of classes and reading, I learned that cross cultural communication takes time and it 's also not a goal that you reach and then it 's over, it 's a continuous process. When I realized this, I felt better about conducting this project. Being able to communicate properly with cultures that are different than your own is a skill and characteristic that everyone should have and understand.... [tags: Cross-cultural communication, Culture]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- I have been working as a parent liaison for the past 12 years a parent liaison is someone who works in the school system assisting parents with education in the parental field trying to help with computer skills phone skills and simple thing professional phone skills. I do daily attendance as I work with the school truancy department to make sure that the parents understand the important of education. I also coach college cheerleaders and teach dance. Just to live comfortable and it is very hard.... [tags: Personal Experience]
2255 words (6.4 pages)
- Part I: I am currently working at the as a social worker assistant. Prior to working at the nursing home I was employed at a restaurant as a general manager. I have found that my current job to be very rewarding. The reason I am majoring in social work is because I have a strong desire to help people, make things better, and make a difference in people’s lives. My goal is to become a licensed social worker and work in the gerontology field. The communication skills I currently use in the field of social work are as follows: 1.... [tags: essays research papers]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Personal identity is the sense of self that define specific patterns of thinking, feeling and acting of an individual. Personal identity is dynamic and it can be shaped by social organizations, symbols, and experiences. As I mentioned in my previous paper, the basic values of my identity were shaped by three social organizations; my family, my community and my religion. However, I realize that there are other areas of interaction, groups, and work experiences that also contribute to define my identity.... [tags: Geert Hofstede, Cross-cultural communication]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Throughout my whole life I have witnessed how relationships should go, and my parents have always been my primary learning source of communication. It was modeled for me in a healthy way, but also in a negative way sometimes. I catch myself struggling with my reacting behaviors to negative events, and ways of speaking. This causes me a lot of grief and frustration when I am communicating with people or my loved ones. This would also include my five-year relationship with my boyfriend. My goals of my personal development plan are to become a better partner in my relationship, and communicate efficiently.... [tags: communication, personal experience]
1051 words (3 pages)
- Every now and then when I recall my childhood memories, it is always been my parents took me to the hospital in the middle of the night or tried to find the right doctor for my allergies. Others could just take some medication and rest for few days for common cold, but my story is totally different. A common cold could cause me allergies, asthma and fever when I was young. It is the reason why I spent most of my time seeing the doctor and stayed at hospital. At the age of 10, my parents decided to have me switched to oriental medicine and acupuncture.... [tags: Personal Experience]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Goal Setting A goal is a general statement of what an organization or individual intends to accomplish. Without goals, an organization has nothing to guide its actions for the year. Goals provide officers and members with something to strive for and an evaluation measure to determine what the organization has accomplished over the year.Performance of employees and whole organizations is affected by the goals they set themselves. The most important reasons for having goals are goals guide and direct behaviors of individuals and groups, provide challenges and indicators for assessing the individual and whole groups.... [tags: Business Management ]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Difference Between A Police And Correctional Middle Manager
- The Military Form Of Organization
- National Joint Commission 's List Of Safety Goals For Long Term Care Facilities
- Taking A Bite Out Of Twilight By Carmen Siering
- Agamben And Justice : Moral Rights Of The Government And The Citizenry
- Jews Have A Wide Variety Of Stereotypes And Discriminations