It all started twenty-six years ago at the age of seventeen when I decided to get custody of my nieces. Their mom, my sister Rhonda was addicted to drugs, and someone had called Child Protective Services on her. An investigation was done, and due to it, I was emancipated and given custody of my two nieces. Everyone attempted to talk me out of it, but I never thought twice about it. I felt it was my obligation to care for them. Raising my nieces was challenging, especially since I was still a child myself. I had bad models of how to be a parent. So, everything I learned was hands- on experiences, and I made a lot of mistakes. In the start, I desired to spend every minute with them. I neglected my school work and ended up dropping out of school my senior years, prior to graduation.
I needed money due to my added responsibility, so I had to get a job, and although I was receiving public assistance, the requirement for public assistance was to be a full time- student or work part time for my medical and food stamp benefits. I still couldn’t spend much time with my nieces anyway. I absolutely should have stayed in school! Financially things were getting harder and harder. The job wasn’t enough to pay for all the financial needs to raise children. On top of being the job from hell. I would wake up four in the morning to take the young ladies to the daycare by 7:30. Next, I had to take an hour- and -a half bus ride to get to work. My duties were to run a cash r...
... middle of paper ...
...teenager made me get up before my time, but it was totally worth it. Watching my kids graduate from high school and college and even get married is such a bitter sweet long road of anguish, heartbreak, passion, and victory.
One thing I discovered throughout my journey is to dwell with the decisions I made. I expected at my past as a lesson and learned from it. I learned to raise children is challenging; it tested my patience and was overwhelming and unbearable at times. I learned to endure because of the love I had for my children. My children helped me be a fuller model of myself.
Somebody once said to me; “No matter who tries to instruct you about life, you won’t realize it until you exit through it on your own.”
I have discovered that life throws you curve balls when you are expecting fastballs. If you are open minded and maintain a positive mindset, you can su
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
The Uk And Ireland 's Leading Supplier Of Personal Protective Equipment, Workwear And Workplace Safety Products
- Arco is the UK and Ireland’s leading supplier of personal protective equipment, workwear and workplace safety products, with an extensive reach to customers through product catalogues (over 22,000 products from over 40 brands), interactive website, local sales offices and a 48 strong trade centre network. We pride ourselves on being able to offer customers, great availability, performance and price as well as access to tailored training and consultancy services. 3. What were the objectives and how have they been achieved.... [tags: Customer service, Customer, Sales]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Growing up in a society where there are so many opportunities, I had no problem figuring out what I wanted to do with my life. I have always enjoyed helping others in any way that I was able too. From babysitting, raking leaves, serving as a volunteer for a number of organizations, no matter how big or small the need, I have always found it gratifying to help others. I ultimately recognized that I had to pursue a career in something that would allow me to help others, while positively giving back to the community.... [tags: Foster care, Adoption]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- The Fresno County Department of Social Services mission statement is “The Fresno County Department of Social Services (DSS) serves some of the most ethnically and culturally diverse communities in the State of California. Our programs are designed to promote services to ensure that individuals and families will be safe, self sufficient, healthy, out of trouble at home, in school or at work”. The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program provides services include house cleaning, shopping, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping and personal care to low-income elderly individuals or disabled or blind individuals to remain safely in their home.... [tags: Sociology, Social work]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- My undemanding of the duties and responsibilities of a public child welfare worker is to ensure the safety of the child. The worker would would first want to get as much informant as possible during intake. This will give the worker the opportunity to assess the safety of the child or children. If a worker finds that it is safe for a child to be where they are, they would just do follow up visits and report back to the agency letting them know the children are still safe. If the worker was to find that the children were not safe, they would do an investigation and intervene, when need be, to make sure they get the children out of that harmful situation.... [tags: Social Work, Welfare, Foster Care]
1066 words (3 pages)
- Angelica, the fashion trendsetter, at Timber Creek Regional Middle, is truly the fashionista at this establishment. This eccentric 8th grader always left her peers gawking. At this glum middle school, Angelica was the first to obtain electric blue hair and have her cartilage pierced, yet this design that she came into school with today overlooks all others. Angelica has a tattoo on her upper right arm of a heart with an arrow piercing it. Wait, Angelica, the 8th grader has a tattoo. Of course the faculty immediately takes notice and not only called her parents, but all decides to call Child Protective.... [tags: Tattoo, Tattooing, Temporary tattoo, Mehndi]
1355 words (3.9 pages)
- Child protective services (CPS) of Baltimore, MD, is housed under the Department of Social Services (DSS), which is one of the four administrations of the Department of Human Resources. The workforces’ recruitment is completed through the Department of Social Services, which is seeking under the principle of merit, well qualified candidates from diverse walks of life to serve its clients. Riccucci wrote that “Organizations that accommodate the needs and interests of all workers, male and female of all races and ethnicities, and celebrating differences, rather than eschew them are more likely to value the contributions diverse groups can make at the upper levels of organization” (Riccu... [tags: Human resource management, Human resources]
1166 words (3.3 pages)
- Financial Analysis A mission statement is a written statement that tells others what the company does. The mission statement in a very short form explains to readers how they operate in a general sense. Mission statements are not super specific or detailed just general. “A mission statement is a concise statement of a company 's reason for being, what it actually does, and for whom. It should contain what products and services the company produces for which target market, as well as how it considers itself different or unique.... [tags: Strategic planning, Statements, Mission statement]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Finance is a field that had always fascinated me right from my undergraduate college days. What make me interested in this particular field of study are the art of finance and the complexity of investment market which would allow me to employ my personal skills, such as analytical and communication skills, along with my personal characteristics such as dedication and compassion for what I do. As one of the most important sector in the world, I believe it would provide me with a broad range of career options.... [tags: Personal Statement Examples]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Personal Statement Please discuss the following items in the order given. Briefly respond to all areas listed. 1. How was your interest in Pharmacy as a career developed. Since my early schooling days, science and mathematics have always fascinated me given that all components of the world are explained on the basis of these disciplines. In this regard, Pharmacy which is based on Chemistry and Mathematics has interested me a great deal as it has direct impacts on our daily lives. The more I have become familiar with the chemistry and mathematics knowledge involved in pharmacy, the more I have appreciated its significance in improving the lives of people in the community.... [tags: Admissions Statement]
1564 words (4.5 pages)
- Child Protective Services For 30 years, advocates, program administrators, and politicians have joined to encourage even more reports of suspected child abuse and neglect. Their efforts have been successful, with about three million cases of suspected child abuse having been reported in 1993. Large numbers of endangered children still go unreported, but a serious problem had developed: Upon investigation, as many as 65 percent or the reports now being made are determined to be "unsubstantiated", raising serious civil liberties concerns and placing a huge burden on investigative staffs.... [tags: Papers]
1302 words (3.7 pages)