My undergraduate years at Michigan State prepared me well for service in the Peace Corps. My studies came first, but I took advantage of the perks that a Big Ten university had to offer. I exhibited strong management, networking, and communication skills in my various roles with the Women in Business Students’ Association. I demonstrated strong leadership capability by rising from a general member, to fund raising chair, and then president in three years. I helped coordinate community service projects in East Lansing and the surrounding communities which, in turn, provided me with a greater awareness of the different demographics that exist there. Working in conjunction with local non-governmental organizations (“NGOs”) and other volunteer organizations in the area prepared me for the roles I have played within NGOs in Cameroon. The lasting relationships I made all over the world during my studies abroad show my strong compatibility with others. I came out of each of ...
... middle of paper ...
...essed with great parents and a stable home life and I would like to offer my services to those who are not so fortunate. I am particularly drawn to Michigan State’s Chance at Childhood Advocacy Clinic program.
My biggest regret from my undergraduate years was that I did not do enough. For the longest time, I believe I was afraid of failure. If I did not think that whatever I was about to do would be perfect, I all too often did nothing at all. I credit my experiences in Cameroon for showing me that the only way to know what you are capable of is, is to try. My willingness to try, to accept criticism, and to learn from my mistakes will be very advantageous during my law school years. As I look towards the future, I cannot help but reflect on that Peace Corps billboard and know that my goal in future endeavors will be never to feel as if I should have done more.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personal Narrative- My Dream I picture myself center stage in the most enormous and fantastically beautiful theater in the world. Its walls and ceilings are covered in impeccable Victorian paintings of angels in the sky. A single ray of light shines down upon my face, shining through the still, silent darkness, and all attention is on me and me alone. The theater is a packed house; however, my audience is not that of human beings, but rather the angels from the paintings on the walls come alive, sitting intently in the rows of plush seats.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
582 words (1.7 pages)
- A Peace Of Mind Tapping my fingers rigorously against my steering wheel to the beat of my song of choice, a sense of peace already starts to consume me. A long drive followed by the calming sounds of nature is exactly what I need after such a strenuous week I have previously endured. Though it’s relaxing, the music playing throughout my car is no match for the repetitive thoughts I have going through my mind. I’ve just lost my best friend, who has been there for me through 3 years of trials and tribulations of my life.... [tags: Mind, Thought, Emotion, Feeling]
1269 words (3.6 pages)
- I learnt to appreciate life about six years ago in a restaurant where I had a habit of sitting and moaning to myself about how boring everything seemed to me. I reached up and clutched the top of my forehead, squeezing ever so slightly, wishing the constant, irritant pain could dissipate. I watched as the waiters tirelessly travelled laps from table to table in search of fresh orders and annoyingly small tips. The immense chatter provided by each customer and the occasional clatter of the cutlery, which presented an almost permanent ringing in my ears, did not aid me in my strong attempts to keep my agony at peace.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
506 words (1.4 pages)
- In my travels of the world I have found myself immersed in many cultures and varieties of ethnicity; I have been very fortunate to live in a day and age where such communication and experience is possible in one lifetime. I have seen La Cathedral de Notre Dame, the Statue of Liberty, the home of Da Vinci, and so many more wonderfully spiritual and historic monuments. Yet still I can say with the utmost certainty that no location has left such a lasting impact on my soul as the quaint, simple country of Costa Rica.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
1846 words (5.3 pages)
- Although Voltaire and Gronniosaw are similar in that their quest for enlightenment and individuality, they are also very different. Candide is a philosophical satirical novel that ingeniously shakes the misinterpretation of doctrinal optimism. Whilst A Narrative of the Life of James Albert Ukawsaw Gronniosaw written by himself, (For the purpose of this essay described as, ‘A Narrative.’) is an autobiographical, spiritual account of Gronniosaw’s travels. This essay will look at the narrative techniques, and the distinctive features, of the language used in both extracts.... [tags: narrative techniques and distinctive features]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- The fact that everything changes when your child is born is true. It is difficult to understand this fact until it happens to you. It is both terrifying and rewarding to compare my life before and after children. When you do not have children, you are the most important person you know. You can focus on your own immediate needs or desires. If you want to take a nap in the middle of the day, you can. If you want to go shopping, go for a walk in the park, or go to the gym, you can. If there is something interesting on TV, you can sit down, watch it, hear it and enjoy it.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
391 words (1.1 pages)
- My day started kind of rough, because I and my wife couldn’t agree to manage our diverse schedule. I was scheduled to meet with members of my class in downtown San Diego, and she was scheduled for her event at work. Ultimately, after a brief argument, we utilized two different vehicles heading the same direction. A conflict in timing was the cause of our disagreement. As a result, the day for me started chaotic resulting in no inner peace of mind. I didn’t sense no normal pattern of tranquility in my thoughts.... [tags: hasselblad award, the dark room]
1898 words (5.4 pages)
- Personal Narrative: Social Conflict It would have been easy to resolve had either one of us wanted to end the squabble. Looking back, it is unbelievable to me that I acted the way I did. Again and again the situation runs through my mind, unveiling new ends to the argument. It was a perfect example of similar scenes playing themselves out all over the world - the most basic level of social conflict we have, the easiest to resolve. I'd challenge anyone to speak out if he or she has not argued over trivial matters with his or her loved ones and closest friends.... [tags: Papers]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- Personal Narrative Sociological Concepts in My Trip to Europe My trip to Europe was an eye opening experience. It awakened my senses to so many different aspects of life I had not already been introduced to. It was almost like watching a movie, from the minute I stepped of the plane everything was different. When I think about the trip and what experiences I had many sociological concepts come to mind, such as culture shock, ethnocentrism, culture, social locators, cultural transmission, norms, language, and subculture.... [tags: Sociology European Society Papers]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- I knew starting college would be a new and exciting experience. I would have a chance to make new friends and broaden my mind as a person. I was looking forward to moving in my dorm; however, when it was time to move into the residence hall and I had the chance to meet my suitemates when they moved in, it wasn’t long before their nasty habits and inconsiderate manners showed up too. Nobody likes one dirty suitemate and I had two. Brittany and Charleen can be described as shrill, obnoxious, sloppy, smelly, and dirty with a capital d.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Personal Experience]
607 words (1.7 pages)