Eighth grade was the first time I saw my friends smoke at a party, and at first I couldn’t believe they were already addicted to cigarettes at such a young age. After being offered a few cigarettes and turning them down, I started to build up a curiosity about why cigarettes were so enjoyable to people. Eventually I confronted a friend, and she said she wasn’t exactly sure as to why she liked them but she assured me that she only did it when she was drinking. I figured I would try it thinking it must be something incredible. Turns out, it’s not great at all. I started coughing and it didn’t even taste good. While it caused me to have a ten-minute buzz afterwards, it seemed pointless to every smoke again. Another reason was that I was afraid of becoming addicted, and why would I ever want to pay that much money for something that would eventually kill me? It’s still hard for me to understand why anyone enjoys smoking, but after taking this course I can at least understand what initiates the addiction
Most of the people I knew that smoked had begun their addiction by only smokin...
... middle of paper ...
...ult to raise my grades with a bad start to the semester. However, I’m glad that I realized it early enough that I can still make the best of my college experience. Drinking less will enable me to join clubs, make better friends (that don’t party so much), and leave more time for studying. Finally I can accomplish the goals I originally had for college, making the experience an overall better one.
While I can’t change the decisions I’ve made in the past, I can certainly learn from my mistakes for a better future. I’m rearranging my priorities so that alcohol will no longer be included in them, and I will make sure that cigarettes continue to stay out of my life. My experiences at college along with the knowledge I’ve learned from this class have made me realize what’s most important to me and to always keep one thing in mind: focus on the good, eliminate the bad.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Joseph Brady EDLDR 532 Conceptualization of Leadership Above anything, leadership is about living the example. Leaders preach the example at all times, and when necessary use words. Leadership is about being accountable, promoting development, and displaying consistency in values. Being a leader carries a tremendous amount of responsibility and true leadership inspires and directs a vision. I’m a firm believer that followers follow a vision not a person. When your followers aren’t upholding the culture or the standard, I think it’s important to point the thumb and not the finger.... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- Imagine having the advantage of knowing what to do before you could make a mistake. Imagine not having to pay the price due to the lack of experience. I wouldn’t say I am an expert at life, but when those tricky situations come, I am one step ahead of the game. How would that be possible you say. I owe it all to my best friend; she gave me the best advantage, simply by having to watch her suffer the consequences of her mistakes. We’ve been best friends since pre-k, we always had fun with each other, and we were both so innocent.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
580 words (1.7 pages)
- Learning the Hard Way- Personal Narrative We live our lives working in order to achieve peace within ourselves, a sense of accomplishment and happiness. The experiences and relationships that we develop along the way help to make us who we are. Weather they are good or bad, we like to believe that knowledge is gained from the people we meet and the decisions made. I have heard it said that it is suppose to be the journey that is truly important in our lives, not the destination.... [tags: Papers]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- Writing has incessantly been a struggle throughout my short life. Within writing, everyone possesses the entirety of tools needed to produce greatness, but many lack in the manufacturing of the product. You may have the greatest ideas for novels and short stories, though be unable to truly express yourself within the confines of only words. This precise issue faces me on a daily basis. All these exceptional visions spinning in my mind, yet I have not been able to master the art of putting these visions onto paper.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Short story, Linguistics]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- The Gift of Teaching On a shelf in my closet sits a box, well-worn with yellowed pages sitting inside. Strewn within you’ll find lesson plans on hatching ducklings, some dog eared copies of alphabet booklets hand drawn with crayon, and a collection of easy-reader worksheets. It may not seem like much, but it represents a career and a passion, one that was passed along to me. I can remember sitting at my grandma’s kitchen table, sunlight streaming in the window as it warmed my back. “Tell me how to do this again, Grandma” I would ask, tongue sticking out in concentration.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, School]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Learning is a vast processes and this starts from the time when we first open our eyes to see the world. Later complicacy starts as we grow up and learning forms a particular path to tackle this complicacy. This process is formed by the human being and human being only followed this path and he is still following. Learning is basically knowing something that is not known before or rather doing something which is not done before. It could be learning through teaching or experience. Thus learning is combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience.... [tags: essays research papers]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- I set in class listening to our teacher talk about speeches. Then my eyes averted to the bottle of water sitting on my friend's desk. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, water. Water is always looked at like the underdog of a lot of situations. Water is very adaptable. It could be a gas, solid, or a liquid but through all this its chemical state doesn’t change. I feel though this is the way that I am, through everything that I have been through, through the pain and the struggles, through the loses and the gains I still stand.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
539 words (1.5 pages)
- The Difference-Personal Narrative I have known Shannon Carey since the first grade. Our parents know eachother and sometimes even go out together. This includes such things as going to dinner or out to a movie. They agree on many of the same topics, However, on some subjects, Shannon's parents control her more than my parents control me. Shannon has regular chores around her house and her parents often give her advice on certain subjects. My parents, on the other hand, let me take care of myself for the most part.... [tags: Papers]
527 words (1.5 pages)
- For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed writing. Writing is an opportunity for me to express my thoughts and feelings while helping me grow to understand who I am as an individual, a student and furthermore, a future teacher. Yet, if someone were to ask me how I do it, I am afraid I could not give him or her a clear and precise answer. Trying to find that answer almost seems harder for me than the actual writing process itself. However, after having done my student teaching last semester, I have learned that modeling my own writing for the students not only helps them to see more clearly how I write, but helps me understand how I write as well.... [tags: Narrative Essay Writing English Teacher Student]
1290 words (3.7 pages)
- Personal Narrative Adult's Negative View of Teenagers There is a significant difference of opinion about teenagers today that comes from teenagers themselves and the adult population. A good majority of the young people today view themselves as relatively responsible people. A lot of them are inquisitive and are eager to learn new things. Many are committed to a drug-free lifestyle, and there are a lot of students who achieve very high grades. Most adults' view on teen behavior is very different.... [tags: Papers]
539 words (1.5 pages)