Even though our world is constantly changing as shown in the video, “Did You Know?”, the way our leaders lead has been fairly constant. The traits and qualities past leaders such as Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King had are the same traits the leaders we look up to today have. Good leaders are aware of our continuously shifting world and have learned to adapt to what works best for those around them. The book, Learning as a Way of Being, discusses how as leaders we must be prepared for the changes that are constantly occurring in our society. We need to always be open to learning new things and how to best adapt to the environment around us. The more experiences we deal with in the past, the more prepared we will be for the changes in the future.
The values I have found I possess as a leader are very centered around the relationships I have with other people in my life. This is not a surprise, for I tested green, in my Insights Discovery, with yellow being high as well. Having green as my Insights color shows that I enjoy working with people and being somewhat of the team “cheerleader.” I always am the one looking for the b...
... middle of paper ...
...t I’m learning now by being in PLP is helping me prepare for these goals and life dreams. This is being achieved through the other students I not only live with, but also have class with, the volunteering opportunities, the classes, and the connections. One of my favorite quotes to live by is from William Arthur Ward and that is, “If you can dream it, you can achieve it,” and I feel like I am working towards just that at this point in my life.
Goleman, Daniel. “Leadership That Gets Results.” Harvard Business Review. March-April 200: 78-90. Print
Insights Discoveries Results
Rath, Tom. (Strengths Finder 2.0.) New York: Gallup Press, 2007. Print.
Vaill, Peter B.. "Introduction: An Ordinary Day on the River." Learning as a Way of Being: Strategies for Survival in a World of Permanent White Water. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1996. 1-20. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- These essays are your opportunity to share more about your leadership roles, activities, and experiences. Ideal applicants will coherently tie their activities and leadership roles into their essay responses. Please take a moment to think about your answers before beginning and check the spelling and grammar of your essays before submitting them. The selections committee will not have access to your UC Application, so please feel free to use portions of your personal statement as you see fit. Your answers must be submitted in a plain-text format with no style or formatting.... [tags: Leadership, Situational leadership theory]
710 words (2 pages)
- STATEMENT OF LEADERSHIP Reflecting on my roles and accomplishments in leadership in business, I can define leadership as the creation of a favorable culture under which an individual or a group of people can successfully carry out their roles. Leadership is all about assessing the environment wherein tasks are handled, with an emphasis on applying different strategies to overcome the challenges while increasing the opportunities; thereby, enabling individuals to fulfill their given roles. Some of the elements of strong leadership involve setting and communicating clear visions and boundaries, giving people the latitude to perform their tasks, monitoring ongoing achievements against the estab... [tags: Management, Leadership, Project management]
1066 words (3 pages)
- Personal Leadership Overview "You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you 're not passionate enough from the start, you 'll never stick it out” (Steve Jobs). Reading that quote there is one word that really sticks out and says something to me; passionate. To be or to become the greatest leader in whatever field you’re into, if there is no passion in the work or goal you’re trying to achieve, you’ll never be able to stick it out or grow/prosper in the end.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Basketball, Skill]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- 1. Leadership is the ability to bring people together while motivating and inspiring them to work as a team to achieve a common goal. There have been several leadership influences in my life. From a very young age, I watched my father lead his troops while serving as a senior enlisted member of the U.S. Army. I saw how he held them accountable for doing their jobs on one hand while mentoring them and giving them the direction they needed, sometimes almost like a father figure on the other. Working for four different law enforcement agencies over the last twenty-seven years, I have been exposed to several supervisors, some good and some not so good.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Law enforcement agency]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Is a leader as defined in the Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, merely one who leads - synonymous with a boss. Or something more. I believe that a leader is much more than that and can be defined in any number of ways. In attempting to define a leader personally, I will use both myself and others as examples. For many years, I have been told by teachers, family, and friends that I am a good leader. Until fairly recently, I had never truly thought about what it means to be a good leader and just took it as a compliment.... [tags: Leadership]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- Faisal N Aldossary Mr. Williams GEN-140 Personal Leadership Philosophy My vision is to lead a family into a very successfully integrated life with the community and to help others in the community as an occupational safety officer. In order to best serve the community and my family as their servant-leader, I need to implement several areas of leadership development. First of all, I must have a good guide for decision-making. Taking in mind my vision, my decision-making should be most importantly focused on safety.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Ethical leadership, Ethics]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction My overall work experience offered me a variety of occupational and learning merits in my professional life. Leadership skills provided me expertise and understanding that have allowed me to comprehend the potential personnel as well as helped me in choosing the correct sector in which to work. In this paper, I will share my working experience and leadership characteristics which actually encouraged me to learn practical knowledge and professional success. Also, it has heartened my occupational approach and social know-how while performing in a group surrounded by a multi-talented workforce with a range of skills, knowledge and functional techniques.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
1342 words (3.8 pages)
- To be successful in business will require much more than just dedication and creativity, you’ll also need the right product and service in order to meet the demand customers are looking for in the completive market. Your organization needs to be able to adapt and willing to change to achieve the needs and wants of market. This will only happen if you and the people around you are good leaders. In the book “Leadership Transformed” it offers some of the basic fundamental strategy and framework using metaphors to describe steps of leadership transformation and the path to become exordanary leader in the 21 first century.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Learning]
710 words (2 pages)
- I was glad to learn that people see me as a trust-worthy, determined, diligent and empathic. That is what I also consider to be my strong professional sides. The question on the leadership questionnaire that I scored the lowest on was in regards to being outgoing. One of the factors on leadership trait model is extraversion. You can really think of a very few modern leaders who are not sociable and extroverts. Nevertheless, I am more reserved, due to, probably, my cultural background. It is known that people from Northern Eastern Europe (Russian in particular) show less scores on performance orientation, less achievement driven and highly focused on collectivism and relationships inside the... [tags: Leadership, Personality psychology, Skill]
750 words (2.1 pages)
- As a person who is for the most part uncomfortable with change, it is important that I find ways be a leader in a world that is ever changing. In order to be the best and most prepared leader as possible, it is necessary to be aware of one’s core identity and the values, talents, and strengths that are included in this. Consistent with the indications of Vaill’s term, “permanent white water”, the tendency of the world to change is unavoidable and “continual”. We as leaders must find ways to adapt and acclimate ourselves to these situations.... [tags: management and leadership]
1177 words (3.4 pages)