Although today’s game is much different than the original game, it has many of the same concepts. Basketball has always been a competitive sport. This game was designed to test both the accuracy, athleticism and stamina of the competitions. It was not until 1950 to 1970 that the business of televising games made basketball become a more offensive minded game. “The early pro rules allowed two-handed discontinued dribbles, which enabled players to simply bull there way to the basket. Head-butting a defender was deemed a savvy move“ (Resen 12). This was a transitional time when the game became more loosely officiated, slam dunks were allowed, a shot clock was added, and in the 80’s, the three point shot was added. In the early years, the game was mainly
made up of set shots, lay-ups and very good defense. It was very uncommon for teams to score more than 20-30 points each. This would have been considered a high scoring game.
The game of basketball was invented by Dr. James Naismith. The concept of basketball was born from Naismit...
... middle of paper ...
... Jr., George. History of Basketball. Kansasheritage.org. 05-01-2005. Kansas Heritage Group, 11 Feb. 2010.
Mourning, Alonzo with Dan Wetzel. “Resilience-Faith, Focus, Triumph.” New York, New York: Ballantine Books, Copyright 2008.
Naismith, James. QuoteMountain.com.
Pippen, Scottie. QuoteMountain.com.
Resen, Charley. “The First Tip-Off - The Incredible Story of the Birth of the NBA.” New York, New York: McGraw-Hill books, Copyright 2009.
Riley, Pat. “Show Time, Inside the Lakers Breakthrough Season.” New York, New York: Warner Books, Copyright 1988.
Smith, Sam. “The Jordan Rules.” New York, New York: Simon & Schuster, Copyright 1992.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Basketball has played a big role in my life thus far. The game of basketball to me means everything that I want to have for my city and for myself. I have a dream of holding up a state championship trophy for my team and for myself. I have put countless numbers of hours into what it would be like for this dream to become a reality. Next year will be my final year of high school basketball. Texas district realignment moved this super small 4A team to an extremely large 3A school. The chance of winning the state championship in 3A is much better than we could have if we had stayed in 4A.... [tags: Personal Experience ]
1990 words (5.7 pages)
- Personal Narrative- Girls Basketball Game Preparation Basketball seems to get into your blood. It is said by those who play, "You eat, you sleep and you play basketball." When I was a little girl all I wanted to be was a professional basketball player. I couldn't count how many times I pounded that dumb ball in our driveway until it was too dark to see, then I would play for hours more by the porch light. Now I realize that was only childish insanity. Back then they didn’t even have a girls’ profession basketball league in the states.... [tags: Personal Narrative]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- It is with complete honesty that I tell you that as I am making this speech, my stomach is turning, not with nervousness but with the anticipation of the possibilities before us. We have been given the opportunity to start something truly special, combining the innovation and service that have historically made 2 companies great, and combining them to become the industry model for customer service and success. This is not an acquisition, or a merger, or a takeover. This is a partnership, a chance for competitors to come together and achieve greatness, similar to “The Dream Team” of USA Basketball.... [tags: Customer service, Customer, Better]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- I continued to play basketball throughout elementary, middle school, and two years of high school. During one of my basketball games as a teenager the official and I were not seeing eye to eye on many of his calls. My temper got the best of me and I received a technical foul, which infuriated and I proceeded to walk towards the official to voice additional disagreement. Suddenly, I heard a thunderous, “BOY!” from the bleachers. "Boy", is how my father referred to me when I had really crossed the line.... [tags: High school, Family, Sibling, Middle school]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Basketball is one of the interesting sports I have always wanted to engage myself; even as a little child. It was a dream come true when I started playing basketball in my high school.Moreover, I was very good in it, and I became the team leader. Of course, I enjoyed every bite of the time I spent playing basketball. My participation on basketball, had numerous effects on my life, and these are physical, personal and social. When discussing the physical impact basketball had in my life, I will not hesitate to state that, I used to be overweight, but now I have a normal weight.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Essay About Myself]
470 words (1.3 pages)
- Part of the Team Basketball has been more than just a game in my life, it has always been a big part of my life, but it has been a part differently than what it is to others. I love everything about basketball. I have done everything from keeping the official book for a men's and women's collegiate team to washing a high school team's practice clothes and even making sure everyone has their uniforms and shoes before leaving for an away game. You don't have to be on the court, you don't have to be the one taking the winning shot or calling the play to be part of the team.... [tags: Personal Narrative Basketball Essays]
2544 words (7.3 pages)
- When you look at a basketball what do you see. Most would see an orange, sphere, shaped rubber ball. There are black lines and real leather. If you look closer, you would even see the size of the ball in which you are playing with. A basketball could be just a toy for many, or even represent a release for others, but for me, it means a lot more. A basketball represents my blood, sweat, tears, passion, sacrifice, and most of all, a sense of belonging, like a family. At this moment in my life, there are only three things I devote my life to- family, friends, and basketball.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Essay About Myself]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- The Hook Shot It was my junior year and football season was over. We had won the state championship. It was time to relax and enjoy basketball season. Basketball season was always a fun time. I was a grade younger than most of my friends who were on the team. I was always the kid that was brought up to sit on the bench or be the sixth man. I never really got too much playing time, however, sometimes if there was a big man on the other team, or some sort of foul trouble for one of the seniors, I would get in.... [tags: Personal Narratives Basketball Sports Essays]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Since I was a child, I loved watching basketball games. I remember when I was around six years old, there was a game on the t.v taking place at OAKA in Greece, and my favorite team AEK was playing against PANATHINAIKOS. The game was going to start at ten o'clock and my dad didn't want me to stay awake to watch it. I started crying as always- when I wanted something I was doing that -and my dad couldn't see me crying so he agreed and said that we were going to watch the game together.... [tags: Personal Essays]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Playing Basketball Being part of the basketball clique in high school helped me learn the intrapersonal and social communication skills I use today. As a child playing basketball was my favorite activity or hobby. It's also the way I met a lot of my good friends that I have now. All my close friends I have met. I have met them through playing basketball.. Whether they were on my team, the opposing team or just fans in the crowd who admired my play. Not only has basketball helped me gain friends, but basketball also taught me a lot about life.... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
682 words (1.9 pages)