These where the words of Bruce Jenner on an interview with 2020 right after he revealed he was a transgender, who changed his/her name to Caitlyn. A transgender is a person who doesn’t “conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender” (2). Bruce, in his case, was born a male, but always struggled with identifying himself as that. During the interview, he mentions that he always had a confused of his gender since he was very young.
Biological: “In a 20/20 interview with Diane Sawyer in April 2015, Jenner came out as a trans woman, saying that she had dealt with gender dysphoria since her youth…” (3) Dysphoria is also known as gender identity disorder where people distress over their sex or gender given during development. It is mentioned that gender dysphoria isn’t just a psychological result, but can have some biological related results from any genetics or hormones while development as well.
Challenges: Caitlyn Jenner was all over the media in 2015 when she had revealed her identity to the world. Some of the society is mostly confused about his attractions towards males or females. Since he is now transgender as a female, the public wonders if he reveals to be attractive to males; however, he admits that he has never been with a male, and is more attracted to females. This is where society baffles; does that make her a lesbian? As a societal norm, if you are one sex, you are supposed to be attractive to the opposite sex. This is exactly why people are labeling her as a lesbian due to her...
... middle of paper ...
... himself. Rising towards the society norms of male and female behavior, is what many others like Caitlyn are taking action today for their own awareness.
I found this specific subject of construction of gender to be intriguing because it was the latest and most shocking news but also influential to certain groups of people. It was one of the most recent reveals from a popular celebrity that many people looked up too and did not expect a news like that. I have a lot of respect for people who finally decide to tell the world about their emotions despite of what society has to say. The standards of a male and female behavior in society are being influenced by many factors since day one. I think in Caitlyn case, she has challenged those norms today and makes people wonder if its okay or not. He just wanted to be a female without changing any of her sexual attractions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Is there a distinction between the mind and the body. And if so, where does a person’s sense of self and consciousness lay. If consciousness lies within the mind, how should humans’ treat the body, as valuable or invaluable. According to dualist views there is a separation between the mind and the body that transgender patients feel every day. Imagine the pain and frustration one might feel when the people around look at you and think you should act and dress one way but you feel differently. That is the frustration transgendered people feel daily.... [tags: gender, LGBTQ, Bruce Jenner]
2512 words (7.2 pages)
- Have you ever wondered what the true meaning of friendship is. I never knew how hard the word friendship was to define until someone asked me what does friendship mean to me and how would I describe the word friendship. By definition friendship is a mutual affection between two or more people, but I have learned the meaning of friendship is defined differently by different people. When I think of my friends and friendship I think of someone who I had an instant connection with, someone I could share my common interests with, and someone who understands me in ways most don’t.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- Alice Munro's Spelling and Differently: Kinship, Deception and Challenges The two short stories Spelling and Differently, written by Alice Munro, deal with female relationships. These relationships paint a vivid picture of the kinship, deception, challenges, and associations that affect friends and family as they journey through life. "Spelling" is about the relationship of two women, Rose and Flo. Although from the outset the relationship between Rose and Flo is not clear, near the end the reader has no doubt they are mother and daughter. Munro illustrates the awkward relationship between a parent and a child and the difficult problems that face children as their parent... [tags: Alice Munro Spelling Differently]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- The media was not any gentler to Kendall’s younger sister, Kylie. Kylie Jenner just recently turned eighteen years old, but you might not think that from looking at her. With her appearance seeming older than most sixteen and seventeen year old girls, she was an easy target for the media. Kylie has been accused recently by tabloids of undergoing a breast augmentation and getting lip injections. Jenner owned up getting lip injections after many months of denying them, calling her naturally thin lips “an insecurity of mine”.... [tags: Woman, Girl, Plastic surgery, Breast]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- A current event that recently unraveled has stirred quite a bit of controversy in the media. The story of Bruce now known as Caitlyn Jenner. This story made headlines for many reasons, whether one agrees or disagrees with the subject is not the issue I will discuss, however, I will be addressing in this paper the debate whether Caitlyn Jenner deserves the title of Hero. To analyze this debate we must look at what makes a hero in today’s society, what does this individual represent, lastly, is it wrong to use the label of hero for Caitlyn Jenner.... [tags: Transgender, Gender, Gender role, Gender identity]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- General Purpose: To Persuade. Specific Purpose: To Persuade the audience to not treat people differently just because of their religion. Central Idea: Due to recent terrorizing events all around the globe, people are starting to be scared of some religion, especially Islam. Due to this fear of Islam people have been treating all the Muslim as terrorist and doing wrong to them just because they are generalizing the Muslim community as terrorists. Introduction: Attention Getter: It was the month of January, a student arrived at school feeling really confident about the test he was about to take in his History class.... [tags: Islam, Muhammad, Muslim, Qur'an]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- Specific Purpose: After listening to my speech, my audience will know how alcohol was made and how it affects humans negatively and positively. INTRODUCTION I. Attention-Getter: Lance Penny once said “Alcohol is probably the easiest substance to abuse, because the potential is there. Its legal, and its available.” II. Personal Credibility: I have always wondered how alcohol was made and how it affects people differently. III. Establish Rapport: People all over the world drink alcohol as a way to have fun and enjoy time with their friends but don’t know exactly what they are drinking and how it affects them in the future.... [tags: Alcoholic beverage, Alcohol, Ethanol, Beer]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Specific Purpose: After listening to my speech, my audience will know how alcohol is made and how it affects humans negatively and positively. INTRODUCTION I. Attention-Getter: Lance Penny once said “Alcohol is probably the easiest substance to abuse, because the potential is there. Its legal, and its available.” II. Personal Credibility: My neighbor’s son started drinking at a young age and had many problems. This made me wonder how alcohol is made and how it affects people differently.... [tags: Alcoholic beverage, Alcohol, Ethanol, Wine]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- Edward Anthony Jenner, known as the founder immunology, created the foundation of modern vaccines by paving the road to wiping out formerly inescapable diseases such as smallpox (source 4.) The results of his work can be seen in modern healthcare. Edward contributed greatly to the research as well as saving numerous lives in his invention of the smallpox vaccine. Edward Jenner was born on May 17, 1749 in Berkeley, Gloucestershire. He was the eighth child out of nine. His father was the vicar of Berkeley and from an early age Jenner received a strong education.... [tags: immunology, smallpox, vaccination]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- Edward Jenner “Now James, I need you to try to stay completely still. It may hurt your arm a bit when I make the cuts. It won’t take too terribly long, and if you pay close attention it will be done before you know it. Nurse, please hold his arm out towards me. Please be sure that he doesn’t move his arm, I don’t want there to be any accidents.” “Those were the last words I heard until the first tests were over. I was in the office of one of the most amazing men I have ever known. His name is Edward Jenner; and I was one of his test subjects in finding a cure for smallpox.... [tags: essays research papers]
655 words (1.9 pages)
- Types And Methods For Nanoparticle Based Drug Delivery And Imaging
- The Church Family Of The Coalbush United Methodist Church
- The Effects Of Early Diagnosis On The Treatment Of Cancer And Alzheimer 's
- The Total Levels Of Beer Consumption
- Socrates 's Apology : An Ethical System
- Research Methodology For Data Collection And Analysis