Primarily due to the introduction and improvement of child proofing devices, from the early 1970’s until 2007, the amount of non-fatal injuries to children reflected declining and stabilizing numbers. However since 2007, this number has significantly increased, rising by 14% (CDC). To date, no ...
... middle of paper ...
...t Smartphone." NPR. NPR, 10 Mar.
2014. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
O'Keeffe, Alice. "Squeezed Middle." New Statesman 142.5183 (2013): 64-65. Academic Search
Premier. Web. 26 Apr. 2014
Smith, Aaron. "Smartphone Ownership 2013." Pew Research Internet Project. Pew Research
Centers, 5 June 2013. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
Strayer, David. "Hands-Free Talking, Texting Are Unsafe." University of Utah News. University
Of Utah Public Relations, 12 June 2013. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
Tarkan, Laurie. "Is Your Smartphone Ruining Your Creativity?" Fox News. FOX News
Network, 15 Sept. 2011. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
"When Smartphone Is Near, Parenting May Falter: MedlinePlus." U.S National Library of
Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 10 Mar. 2014. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
Worthen, Ben. "The Perils of Texting While Parenting." The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones &
Company, 29 Sept. 2012. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Modern Parenting A 2007 study conducted by the American Psychological Association found out that about 50 percent of employees agreed that their work commitments interfere with their personal life, including time spent with family. Many expressed that they felt pressed for time and that there just were not enough hours in the day to meet work targets as well as spend quality time with family, including their children (Morin, 2014). The 20th century experienced a considerable increase in the number of working women.... [tags: Self-esteem, Childhood, Emotion, Intelligence]
2079 words (5.9 pages)
- ... Parents need to come in and help their children understand that one’s life is precious and no price can justify the actions that were present. The media causes one what to think about and observe. Media sets up gender into portraying roles in the society today. Media makes the most indecisive more acceptable. To mothers and grandmothers, women portray now a days bring shame to women’s decency. “It found more than one- third advertisements showed women as domestic agents who were dependent on men, and half portrayed of household functionaries.”(Gill 51) Women are as strong as men are; but when media present women as such, they downgrade women but in society, it is the most acceptable and... [tags: media's influence on children, parenting]
1750 words (5 pages)
- Technology is one of the highest influence devices in younger generation. Young generations are taking the advantage of technology then create inaccessible account to their parents to communicate with others. They can have constant texting and chat through the internet secretly without being going outside their home. They are easily influenced by instagram and facebook websites. They are trying to fit in to the world by posting their personal life including posting inappropriate pictures and talk to strangers.... [tags: Sexually transmitted disease]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- Driving Under the Influence Many people don’t realize that when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol they are not only putting their lives in danger, but they are also endangering every single other person on the roads. Whether it’s a sixteen year old girl, a single mother with her newborn in the back seat, or an eighty year old man. There are more than tens of thousands of deaths due to drunk driving accidents every year. This is one issue that is not going away and it is our duty as citizens of this nation to do something about it.... [tags: Drunk driving, Driving under the influence]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- Driving under influence or with high blood alcohol content (BAC) increases the risk of car accidents, vehicular deaths, and more so highway injuries across all age-groups. In fact, an intoxicated driver with relatively higher BAC increases his/her risk of death by up to 380 times in single-vehicle crash (DeMichele, Lowe & Payne, 2014). Drunk driving is often considered as the largest social problem in the modern day society since 40 to 45% of all fatal traffic accidents usually involve drunk drivers.... [tags: Drunk driving, Driving under the influence]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Ever feel vanquished in the shifting, forever changing worlds of technology and mass media. Most parents today work hard trying to find a balance between trying to keep up, and staying ahead of what their children are doing. Between devices like cell phones, iPods, and other music players that have access to the Internet, game systems as great as yesterdays computers, and with all of this exposure to mass media, how can you be sure your child is being exposed to suitable content. As kids get older, too much screen time can intervene with activities such as being physically active, reading, doing homework, playing with others, and being with family.... [tags: Parenting]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- Parenting is very ambiguous and it can be difficult for parents to be certain they are performing their skills correctly. While raising children, it seems parents are forced to handle situations as they come without any way to prepare. The idea that makes parenting so ambiguous is whether or not there is actually a correct way of parenting children. If one cannot predict what will happen next how can there be a correct way of dealing with the situation. In order to verify ones parenting skills, parents can seek out information from an outside source in order to allow for a conclusion to be drawn.... [tags: Parenting, Childhood, Parenting styles]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Environmental influences on development: 1) Parenting: Parenting has a huge impact when it come to a child’s development. There are many different parenting styles and each style could either have a positive or negative effect on the child’s development. Parents could be authoritarian, a parent who offers a lot of structure, little communication, have lots of rules, like to control everything and don’t express much love and warmth. That is not a good thing because the parents are taking all the decisions for the child.... [tags: Childhood, Parenting styles, Pregnancy, Parenting]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- In a perfect world, every child would be wanted and loved, and all parents would have the capacity and the desire to raise children who are healthy, mentally and physically strong, and displaying high moral integrity. Sadly, this is not the case. Some parents are, unfortunately, not interested in what happens with their children. Other parents are not pleased with what is happening in the home with their children but do not know what to do to create effective change. Still other parents are unaware that there is another way, a better way, of parenting.... [tags: Parenting ]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- A Public Service Announcement, PSA, is a great way to get a serious message across to an audience that would not go looking for a serious topic in life. Public Service Announcements are usually broadcast on television and can reach a lot of people at one time. There can be a PSA about any important subject. Most Public Service Announcements are used to inform people about a serious problem or issue that is going on in the world. There are Public Service Announcements about animal abuse, AIDs in Africa and even the Flu.... [tags: Parenting]
1242 words (3.5 pages)