For this study, fifty-two grandparents and their grandchildren were recruited to participate. Of the fifty-two, forty-one also consented to an interview. (Dolbin-MacNab, 2006, p.3) The criteria to participate in the study was: “grandparents had to meet the United States Census Bureau (2002) definition of a grandparent caregiver, grandparents were required to have a legal relationship to th...
... middle of paper ...
... Learning Theory, the adolescent may only be acting out what they have learned from their environment. The social worker will need to determine the cause of the feelings and actions and work with the adolescent to change not only the behavior but their cognitive thinking as well.
Ashford, J., & Lecroy, C. (2013). Human behavior in the social environment. (Fifth ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole. (p. 99, 596-597)
Cooley, S., Deitch, I., Harper, M., Hinrichsen, G., Lopez, M., & Molinari, V. (1998). What practioners should know about working with older adults. American Psychological Association, Retrieved from http://www.nova.edu/gec/forms/practitioners_older_adults.pdf
Dolbin-MacNab, M. L. (2006). Just Like Raising Your Own? Grandmothers’ Perceptions of Parenting a Second Time Around. Family Relations, 55(5), 564-575. doi:10.1111/j.1741-3729.2006.00426.x
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I decided to write on this subject since I was taught this topic in earlier classes and learned from that textbook some of the information that I pulled from my reference materials. I was familiar with this topic and had some earlier notions and wanted to see if my views and understanding changed with a broader knowledge base. At the time I studied this previously I found it to be an interesting and complex subject. The four styles of parenting or child-rearing are authoritative parenting, permissive parenting, authoritarian parenting, and uninvolved,sometimes referred to as neglectful, parenting.... [tags: Parenting styles, Parenting, Childhood, Parent]
877 words (2.5 pages)
- One such type of parenting technique is authoritarian parenting. Authoritarian parents are the parents that are involved in a child’s life from the second the child is born into the family. The parents are in charge of everything. From the small things like which toy a child to get to the ideas of a child must play an instrument, must be at least bilingual and other extracurricular activities. Authoritarian parents are a synonym to Indian parenting styles. Research has shown that almost 85% of parents in India in the early 2000s used authoritarian parenting when raising a child till the age of 15.... [tags: Parenting styles, Childhood, Parenting]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- Adolescents are involved in the difficult task of identifying themselves and making important life decisions. (Smits, Soenens, Vansteenkiste, Luyckx, & Goossens, 2010). The support from parents seems to greatly assist adolescents in their identity formation process. Two theories that have been used in research to examine adolescent identity are the psychosocial development of adolescents and Bandura’s social learning theory. Psychosocial development as theorized by Erikson has eight stages through which a healthily developing human should pass from infancy to late adulthood (Kail & Cavanaugh, 2010).... [tags: Parenting]
2224 words (6.4 pages)
- Parenting is defined as rearing of a child by giving special care, love, and guidance by a parent. (Merriam-Webster) Parenting usually starts when a couple has a beautiful by-product of their mutual love and respect with each other. When a child comes into someone's life, parenting is usually a necessity when it comes to nurturing a beautiful, and a healthy child. A lot of responsibilities, sacrifices, and hard work are attached to parenting. There are four parenting styles that couples practices.... [tags: Parenting]
1430 words (4.1 pages)
- Webster’s dictionary defines parenting as the process of raising and education a child from birth until adulthood. Everyone has or had a caregiver, whether it be pests, animals or human beings. However, the thing that differs is the method of parenting. There are many methods of parenting, but there are only three main parts. They include authoritarian parenting style, permissive parenting style, and democratic parenting style. The next few paragraphs will give the reader a detailed description of these three parenting methods and what my parents have used in parenting me.... [tags: Parenting]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- Parenting Paper Diane Baumrind’s typology has two major dimensions. The first dimension is responsiveness. In the text it mentions that responsiveness “refers to the extent in which parents respond to and meet the needs of their children.” (Knox 364). This is when parents support, encourage, and foster their children’s needs. The second dimension is demandingness which is “the matter in which parents place demands on children in regard to expectations and discipline.” (Knox 364). This is about how strict a parent is and how much control these use on their children.... [tags: Parenting]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- I believe George Holden chose to focus on parenting styles because corporal punishment has become a common parenting approach, with over 70% of families participating. The speaker wants to introduce and convince families to a better parenting style. Holden presents a paradoxical argument that argues the way to empower children and parents is to disempower parents. He touches on the subject of corporal punishment and its unintended side effects . He transitions from speaking about a “traditional” parenting orientation, to what he considers a better option, “positive” parenting.... [tags: Childhood, Parenting, Parenting styles]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Have you ever felt trapped by your parents. Maybe there was even a time that you really wanted to go out with a friend and your parents kept telling you one thing, “No.” Why is it that they always say that. Are they afraid themselves of what may or may not happen. Well let me tell you something, the way that i was brought up, is a lot like the article “The Allegory of The Cave” by Plato. The main idea of this article is about how a few prisoners were trapped inside a cave. The prisoners were only aloud to face one direction and they were not aloud to move from left or right.... [tags: What's Your Parenting Style?]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- In our society, it is very difficult to have your own parenting style. If you do, you would not fit into the normal society. Your parenting style will be an outlier to others. Parents with different parenting styles, would be dissimilar than other parents because of the various parenting styles. So ultimately, parents have to conform to the American parenting styles, to fit within the society. This has happened to many Indian parents. As Indian parents immigrated, not only was it difficult to keep their culture, but also their unique parenting style.... [tags: Family, Childhood, Sociology, Parenting]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- Introduction There is no true definition in what makes the family. Constant changes happen since the society in which we live in is evolving at a constant rate. This evolvement that is taking place has changed the idea of an ideal family. Many years back family meant a married heterosexual couple with 1.5 kids. Truth is that this is not ideal for everyone. After challenging this ideal family structure it has been concluded that family forms and functions are different. Therefore this paper will address some changes in the family such as divorce, step parenting, and immigration, how these new changes play a significant role in family diversity.... [tags: Family, Marriage, Stepfamily, Parenting]
1941 words (5.5 pages)
- Structural Identification Of Unreinforced Masonry Structures
- How Does Our Consumption of Animal Products Affect the Environment?
- Detrimental Effects of Social Media on Teenagers
- The Identity of the Middle East: Context, Origin, and Social Influence
- Cartesian Dualism vs Logical Behaviorism
- Teaching Fitness Education