The wedding is the most important event in Pakistan, and it is celebrated with great pomp and show. Mayun is the very first ceremony of Pakistani Wedding. Mayun is celebrated at the bride’s house. Usually the bride’s friends and close relatives get together at her house. They dance and sing, often accompanied by drum music. The beautification rituals begin during this time, and the bride is made free of all domestic chores during this time. The bride usually wears a simple yellow Shalwar Qamiz and women put henna on each other’s hands. The bride and groom are not allowed to see each other after the Mayun.
The next day is the Mehandi ceremony, which takes place a day before the wedding reception (baraat). It is a ceremony mainly for women. They apply mehandi (henna) to the bride’s hands and feet. They sing, dance, and bless...
... middle of paper ...
...em while they have dinner. Valima is also an Islamic requirement, and it is designed to announce the marriage to the community and celebrate the arrival of the fair bride into her new home. It is believed that the marriage in Pakistan is essentially a marriage between two families and for this reason, the family life is paramount and the family unit is more important than the individual.
In short, the Pakistani wedding is a great feast of fun, merriments, and celebrations. The four wedding ceremonies Mayun, Mehandi, Baraat, and Valima are celebrated with great fervor. Pakistani weddings are not only the union of two individuals, but they are consided the union of two families. For Pakistani families today living all over the world, it provides a grand event for everyone to come back, reconnect with their roots, and enjoy their rich and colorful culture.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pakistani weddings are loud, fun, and extravagant while American weddings are often very formal and proper. Some differences of these two cultures are displayed particularly in weddings: mainly in the pre-wedding activities, wedding party attire, and the actual ceremony and reception. Weddings are a major, wonderful life event; but people all around the world celebrate differently. Pakistani weddings generally include many pre-wedding activities. Usually, there will be a Dholki before one to two weeks before the official celebrations begin.... [tags: Wedding, Marriage, Bachelor party, Mehndi]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Interview With Pakistani Ethnology is the part of anthropology that focuses on the cultures of the world; its written results are published in ethnographies. While conducting my first ethnology I learned more about my friend Mohammed than I have learned about him in the seven years I have been acquainted with him. Moe works at a convenience store and gas station that I have been frequenting since before I was even old enough to have a car to fill up with gas. Moe is originally from Pakistan, he was born in the city of Karachi, but has been in this country for 20 years.... [tags: essays papers]
1589 words (4.5 pages)
- When the United States first led their camping into Afghanistan in late 2001, the organization which is now known as the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan were only seen as sympathizers and supporters of the Afghan Taliban and other organizations. From roughly 2002-2004 Pakistani forces were using the majority of their resources finding those linked to Al Qaeda in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) (Abbas, 2008). During this time small militant groups began to network with one another (Black; Benjamin, 2011).... [tags: Taliban, Pakistan, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- Perhaps you have always dreamed of a winter wedding, or want to simply be married during the least busy marriage months (see article on how to save for your wedding). Regardless of the reason, winter weddings don’t get enough recognition as they deserve. Sure, it’s colder outside which makes finding the proper dress a little more complicated, but getting married in the winter can be just as romantic – if not more so – as weddings in the hotter months. Below, we will discuss the top 23 winter wedding ideas to ensure you have the winter wedding you most deserve and dream of.... [tags: Wedding, Marriage, Wedding ring, Engagement ring]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- A Memorable Wedding Many little girls dream of their big fairytale wedding with a prince charming of their own. We all have watched and grown up with the classic Disney movies that not only entertain children, but are influenced by what we see. I am guilty of wanting the fairytale wedding, big puffy gown, sparkles, handsome husband and our happily ever after. But what you don’t see is how much time and energy is put into creating your own fairytale wedding. After many months of planning and preparation for this day I was excited, nervous and anxious to carry on with the day that symbolized a new beginning with the love of my life.... [tags: Marriage, Family, Wedding, Husband]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- Your friend just announced she is getting married -- again. What could you possibly give someone who has everything. If the bride or groom-to-be has been married before, they probably already have at least some of the traditional registry items. They may have a blender, a coffee maker, a tea kettle. For a second wedding, the guest list may be quite limited -- just family and very close friends. There may not be a bridal shower or traditional engagement party, so the opportunity to give the couple a gift might seem remote.... [tags: Wedding, Marriage, Family, Alimony]
711 words (2 pages)
- Education is a precious thing that holds the future for all young human beings. It allows us to learn, to grow, and to become functional and responsible citizens of society and the competitive world. Without education, people will not be able to do the things that they want to in the future in order to advance their dreams to improve their lives and society. They will not be able to learn new things, new ideas, and new skills in order to advance the stages of human growth and development.... [tags: Girl's Education in Pakistan]
2679 words (7.7 pages)
- Pakistani society has always been a conservative and traditional one; one which is often vehemently opposed to any new ideals or propositions which even remotely challenge the status quo of society. One such issue, which has been gaining in prominence- and inciting often violent reactions in the process-, is the controversial issue of sex education. In the conservative Pakistani society, sex tops the list of subjects which are largely shunned and considered to be taboo. Globalisation, which has led to widespread dominion of the Western culture and promoted freedom of speech and expression, has proved to be pivotal in breaking through this age-old taboo and inciting the controversial debate r... [tags: Pakistan]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- A Hindu Wedding Day Introduction: A brides wedding day is a day she has dreamed about her whole life and she will remember this day for the rest of her life. There is a lot of effort that goes into planning that special day. You have already found a groom now it’s time to prepare everything else. You need to plan the perfect outfit, make sure the food is perfectly cooked, and you need to make sure every step of the ceremony goes like planned. Hindu wedding are a festival or color and excitement.... [tags: Marriage, Family, Wedding, English-language films]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- What I know and What I Want to Find Out "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." Weddings are when two people vow to each other come together, I have been dreaming and planning mine since I was 10 years old. I thought weddings were a celebration and just full of fun, but to get there you have to go through all the planning and the getting ready. Four Weddings and Say Yes to the Dress, (two of my favorite wedding shows), have taught me a lot about all the different weddings and how they are set up.... [tags: Marriage, Wedding, Want, English-language films]
1933 words (5.5 pages)