Ana S. Reyes
South Texas College
Ozone Depletion? How Important is that?
Earth is surrounded by an invisible shield that is 6.2 miles long; furthermore, it absorbs most ultraviolet rays that the sun casts down to the biosphere. Without this shield, also known as the ozone layer, all life on Earth would cease to exist because of the harsh rays the sun emits. An example of how the ozone protects species is when a person goes out into the sun without sunblock, they get a grisly sunburn. Therefore, the ozone layer is the sunblock for the Earth, without it all organisms will be brutally charred. Moreover, the ozone layer is depleting gradually if not rapidly because of the effects of humankind. Although many people have tried to stop ozone depletion, and others claim it is not severe for their daily lives, ozone depletion is a very real problem that society faces today.
Ozone Layer Information
The ozone layer is especially important to beings on Earth because the ozone layer is beneficiary for sustaining all life on Earth. Most if not all people do not know that there is layer of thick molecules that form the ozone layer. Without the ozone layer oxygen would not be kept inside the Earth’s atmosphere which would not allow organisms to support life since all living things need oxygen. Additionally, when the atmosphere, also known as the ozone layer, gets depleted it will cause many abnormalities in communities. Because the ozone layer is an immense permeable membrane allowing only certain amounts of sunlight to pass through; it helps prevents a lot of the solar energy from burning Earth’s surface, however, the thinner the ozone layer gets the less cover it will provide for Earth’s inhabitants. A statement...
... middle of paper ...
..., Dameris, M., & Shepherd, T. (2007). How Will the Stratosphere Affect Climate Change? Science,316(5831), 1576-1577. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.ezproxy.southtexascollege.edu:2048/stable/20036480
Solomon, S., Haskins, J., Ivy, D., & Min, F. (2014). Fundamental differences between Arctic and Antarctic ozone depletion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111(17), 6220-6225. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.ezproxy.southtexascollege.edu:2048/stable/23772480
Rohrman, D. (2004). The Treaty That Worked. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 2(9), 500-500. doi:10.2307/3868340
(n.d.). Retrieved June 20, 2017, from https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozone/additional/science-focus/about-ozone/ozone_atmosphere.shtml
Vermishev, M. K., & Danilov-Danilyan, V. I. (2014). Ozone Layer Depletion. Value Inquiry Book Series, 276360-362.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Due to human activity, our planet has been slowly depleting over the years and has been recently increasing. The problems of global warming and climate change have risen due to the carelessness of the human population. Some of the problems happening to the planet is depletion of the ozone layer, the increase of endangered animals, and a decrease of natural resources. Many people fail to realize that our species is the reason this planet is dying. Increasing populations mean a higher demand for resources which will not be here forever.... [tags: Oxygen, Carbon dioxide, Ozone depletion]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Abstract A summary on ozone depletion as well as the effects on human and terrestrial life. A look into the chemistry of ozone molecule breakdown as well as the synthesize of our ozone layer. Through many theories, such as the Rowland – Molina theory, our ozone layer has been a long-debated topic amongst many scientists and activists. Keywords: The Ozone Layer Earth’s ozone layer, a layer in our multi-layered atmosphere, protects all life from the sun’s harmful radiation. The Earth’s multi-layered atmosphere consists of the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, thermosphere, and the exosphere in ascending order as well as order of “length” (if you will).... [tags: Ozone depletion, Oxygen, Ozone, Ozone layer]
1491 words (4.3 pages)
- The ozone layer is a key component to all life on earth. The ozone layer is up in the stratosphere protecting us from the harmful UV rays emitted by the sun. Without the ozone layer, detrimental effects can range from premature aging in the skin to multiple types of skin cancer. In this project, I will be discussing ozone depletion. I will be talking about ozone depletion causes, changes, effects, and the future of ozone depletion. Ozone depletion is a huge problem in the world. Though we have managed to somewhat control it over the years, it still poses a threat.... [tags: Ozone depletion, Oxygen, Sun, Ultraviolet]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- Ozone Depletion and Industrial Output For years, we have heard about the ozone crisis: that because of industrialization and the lack of pollution-consciousness by our industries, governments, and academia, we have put so many environmentally harmful products into the atmosphere that our ozone – the good kind, the kind that protects us from harmful UV radiation – is becoming dangerously damaged. It is becoming thinner and developing holes, like the large hole over Antarctica. Predictions made expected the ozone hole to continue to increase and for the general thickness to get continuously thinner, so that the harmful UV rays of the sun would pass right through our atmosphere an... [tags: Ozone Layer Environmental Essays]
1055 words (3 pages)
- Global Effects of Ozone Depletion Ozone depletion in the earth’s atmosphere is under constant scrutiny by the American press and people. Perhaps the concern is warranted; the ozone layer protects life on earth by absorbing 97-99% of the damaging ultraviolet radiation from the sun (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 2006). Over the past twenty years, the stratospheric ozone has decreased approximately 3% per decade. Possible concerns have been raised about loss of polar caps, DNA damage, increased human health risks, and environmental process disturbance.... [tags: Environment Ozone Layer Essays Papers]
1145 words (3.3 pages)
- ““It’s absolutely stupid that we live without an ozone layer. We have men, we’ve got rickets, we’ve got rockets, we’ve got saran wrap – FIX IT””, said Lewis Black, a comedian. If only it were that easy. However the ozone continues to be depleted because of deforestation. To understand this topic, one must understand what the ozone and deforestation are. The ozone should be protected at any cost. If we fail to protect our ozone, the earth will become one big frozen and lifeless ball. First and foremost, to understand the ozone one must understand deforestation and the ozone layer.... [tags: Environmental Issues, Environment]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Our country is facing many serious problems that can harm peoples well being. Some that you may think of is the increase in crime, the war on terrorism, and drugs. The last problem you would think of is the depletion of the ozone layer. However, it could be the most serious problem we are facing today. The ozone is a layer of gas that forms a protective covering in the Earth’s upper atmosphere. This layer of gas is slowly diminishing each day, and causes a great concern to our safety. There are many reasons why this depletion is occurring, and chemistry is playing a huge role into helping solve this problem. Ozone composed of three oxygen atoms is an extremely reactive gas and depending on... [tags: Environmental Issues]
1048 words (3 pages)
- The environment generally refers to the surrounding’s of an object or an individual. It can be in the form of the physical environment, biophysical environment, built environment, social environment and the natural environment among other forms. The natural environment refers to the naturally occurring flora and fauna together with the land on which they occupy. Environmental issues have been a cause of a lot of debate in the recent past. Governments and nongovernmental organizations have been in constant consultations on how to help protect the environment.... [tags: Environment, Environmental ]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- Ozone Depletion Atmospheric ozone layer depletion is a serious problem currently facing the world. The ozone layer protects humans, animals, and plants from harmful ultraviolet rays. Money and time are being spent on ozone repair, but the problem still exists. The ozone layer is a region of the stratosphere containing ozone, or O3 gas. The ozone layer is essential to both plant and animal life on earth because it protects the surface from dangerous ultraviolet light. However, industrial and domestic chemicals that are currently in use have been found to destroy ozone, and the problem has escalated to an ozone layer "hole" above Antarctica.... [tags: science]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- Ozone Depletion The world's ozone is depleting on a daily base. Individuals and industries are to blame. If we don't slow down what is being introduced to the atmosphere, the effects on humans and the earth will be devastating. We must stop killing the earth's ozone by watching what CFC's get released, car pooling to control automobile emissions, and stop industries from polluting our atmosphere. The problems with a depleting ozone layer are an increase in skin cancer, global warming of the earth, and a greenhouse effect on the world.... [tags: Papers]
1473 words (4.2 pages)