The links between The Seventh Seal and contemporary works solidifies the status of Bergman’s film as ‘high culture’ or a ‘valued work;’ this forces the audience to analyze the film, whilst forgoing mindless consumption—much like theatre. Tonal elements and ideas are clarified almost from the beginning of The Seventh Seal, due in part to Bergman’s effective use of mise-en-scéne, and the calculated cinematographic choices of Gunnar Fischer. A constant theme of light versus dark is present throughout the film, showcased using a variety of techniques including: choice of film stock (for varying contrast), lighting techniques, and symbolism.
The film opens in dramatic fashion with a reverse iris fade, focusing on the sun struggling to peer through a clouded sky. This intro is backed by a dominant choral soundtrack, which helps to set the tone of the film as well as the time period it takes place in. The next shot features a well-defined contrast between the mountains of the coast, which appear completel...
... middle of paper ...
...07. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Morgan, Jason. "The Seventh Seal Movie Review." Contact Music. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Pereira, Amy. "Smultronstället: A Definition." Ettsmultronstalle.com. N.p., 7 Feb. 2011. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Pressler, Michael. "The Idea Fused In The Fact: Bergman And The Seventh Seal." Literature Film Quarterly 13.2 (1985): 95. Academic Search Complete. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Robson, Rev. James. "The Ascetic Sayings of Jesus." The Ascetic Sayings of Jesus. The Nazarene Way of Essenic Studies, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Shabi, K. "Symbols of Death in Art Analysis: Ingmar Bergman Seventh Seal Meaning." Legomenon. N.p., 22 Aug. 2013. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Wartenberg, Thomas E. "Beyond Mere Illustration: How Films Can Be Philosophy." Journal Of Aesthetics & Art Criticism 64.1 (2006): 19-32. Academic Search Complete. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Living with Death In his film The Seventh Seal, Ingmar Bergman openly addresses the human response to death. The film documents the return of Antonius Block and his squire Jons to their homeland after their ten years of fighting in the Crusades. During their return journey to Antonius Block's castle, the characters encounter death in many forms, including the devastating plague afflicting the population and (even less subtly) Death personified in his classic black garb. Each of Block's and Jons' confrontations with death provides opportunities for Bergman to display the different philosophies of death that he has intertwined with his characters.... [tags: The Seventh Seal, Ingmar Bergman]
2001 words (5.7 pages)
- Ingmar Bergman’s Wild Strawberries, while released in 1957, embodies a refreshingly progressive perspective in its portrayal of women. Undoubtedly, Wild Strawberries is Isak Borg’s journey, both literal and spiritual, of realization, recollection, and redemption. However, its female characters, namely Marianne and the Sarahs of both generations, play an integral part in Isak’s transformation. Other movies we viewed from this era, specifically Au Hasard Balthazar and La Strada, tended towards victimization of female characters, from sexual assault to unhealthy dependencies.... [tags: Marriage, Mother, Ingmar Bergman, Family]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Magical Realism in Seventh Heaven The book Seventh Heaven was written by an American author by the name of Alice Hoffman. Seventh Heaven was published in the year of 1990. Seventh Heaven was a book based on life in the suburbs and the spiritual essence of the people who lived there. The author who wrote this story seemed to make the essence known that magical realism was definitely about these people and that they lived it everyday. Magical Realism lived everyday and will keep living as long as there is life on earth.... [tags: Seventh Heaven Essays]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- The Seventh Tower Plot Summary This book is a Science fiction book that is the fist of a series of books called The Seventh Tower. It starts out with a boy by the name of Tal Graile-Rarem receiving word that his dad was missing on a mission that he was doing for the queen. And that is when every thing goes down hill. This is because his dad has the only good sunstone that will allow Tal to pass into the world of Aerian. Aerian is the world where a boy goes to receive his spirit shadow when he turns fourteen.... [tags: Book Report Seventh Tower Essays]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- Ingrid Bergman was born in Stockholm, Sweden on August 29, 1915. Her mother, Friedel Adler Bergman, a Hamburg, Germany native, died when Ingrid was just three years old. Ingrid’s father, Justus Samuel Bergman, a Swede, raised Ingrid until his death, when she was 12. Justus, who owned a photography shop, encouraged Ingrid’s artistic pursuits and even caught some scenes of her as a small child with a motion picture camera. Many years later, the famous director Ingmar Bergman (no relation), with whom Ingrid worked, compiled and edited these home movies.... [tags: Biography]
1598 words (4.6 pages)
- Toomer's Seventh Street, Depicts Life and Issues in the Prohibition Period Toomer captures very deep thoughts in his writing in fairly simple language. The way he works his ideas into the text is amazing. In "Seventh Street," an excerpt from his larger work, Cane, Toomer blends ethnic ideas together while speaking about issues that involve the whole public spectrum. He begins with a four-line verse that draws the reader in and helps him to visualize the setting. Money burns the pocket, pocket hurts, Bootleggers in silken shirts, Ballooned, zooming Cadillacs, Whizzing, whizzing down the street-car tracks.... [tags: Toomer's Seventh Street Essays]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)
- Seventh-day Adventists The Seventh-day Adventists are one of the many different branches of Christianity. The Adventists came about during the 19th century and began with the “Millerite Movement” (“Seventh-Day Adventists”, 2013). The movement was started by an American Baptist preacher by the name of William Miller, who believed that the Second Coming - the return of Christ to Earth - would occur between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844 (“Seventh-Day Adventism”, 2004). This prediction was largely based off Daniel 8:14 in the Bible (See slide 4).... [tags: History, Christianity, Information]
985 words (2.8 pages)
- Seventh Heaven Seventh Heaven by Alice Hoffman was published by G.P. Putnam's Sons in 1991. Many characteristics of magical realism were expressed in an excerpt from this novel. From reading this, I have learnt that magic appears to me as being real. My comprehending of this novel was more because or realism. Alice Hoffman's attitude in this book seemed to be that she set it as an example of magical realism and she made the readers curious about what was going to happen next. Hoffman made this book enjoyable so that readers would want to read this book.... [tags: Alice Hoffman Magical Realism Essays]
952 words (2.7 pages)