Spotify is one of the biggest players in music streaming industry. Since its public launch in 2008, Spotify has grown significantly having more than 6 million subscribers of its 24 million active users in 32 countries on 4 continents, as of October 2013. 
Spotify is on-demand streaming music player. After registration and downloading the desktop application user gains access to more than 20 million songs that are currently available on Spotify . The main characteristic of Spotify’s streaming service is that it does not sell music, but it gives access to it. Streaming digital music is based on agreements with content owners - record labels, digital distributors, aggregators and publisher collecting societies, to whom Spotify pays out royalties . Without these agreements there would be no music to stream. Basically, Spotify has an intermediary role as it distributes music content from right holders to listeners.
Spotify is operating on “mixed advertising/freemium business model”. The freemium business model is based on idea that the company offers simple and basic services for free for the user to try and more advanced or additional features at a premium . One important role in Spotify’s business model is having advertisers who generate revenue that is used to finance costs of free subscription. In other words, without ads, there would be no free music.
Spotify’s users are presented with several options of subscription, which differ from country to country. Right now, users in UK can choose from these three options:
• Spotify Free
This option is completely free and after creating an account, users are enabled to listen to music on their computers as much as they want during initial 6 month...
... middle of paper ...
.../www.androidpit.com/itunes-radio-spotify-google-music-service [Accessed at 3 December 2013].
 Kniberg, H. and Ivarsson, A. (2012), Scaling Agile @ Spotify with Tribes, Squads, Chapters & Guilds [online]. Available at: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1018963/Articles/SpotifyScaling.pdf [Accessed at 3 December 2013].
 Titlow, J. P. (2013). 6 Million People Pay For Spotify - Is That Good Enough? [online]. Readwrite. Available at: http://readwrite.com/2013/03/13/spotify-six-million-paid-subscribers-growth-quick-enough#awesm=~ooGnd8WPWQ88er [Accessed at 3 December 2013].
 Newton, Casey (2013), Last man streaming: Spotify's $250 million war chest makes it the music company to beat [online]. The Verge. Available at: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/22/5134598/last-man-streaming-spotifys-250-war-chest-makes-it-the-music-company [Accessed at 3 December 2013].
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Introduction It’s probably not feasible to avoid streaming music services nowadays. Every smart phone on the market is able to operate numerous music streaming applications, ranging from radio-style streaming, on-demand streaming, and even cloud-streaming. Smart TVs come equipped with Spotify, Pandora, or Rdio. AT&T partners with Beats music to offer a unique on-demand music streaming service with playlists complied by DJs. It seams that with the advent of Wifi hotspots and high-speed mobile Internet services, music streaming is becoming more and more a part of mainstream life.... [tags: music streaming websites]
3195 words (9.1 pages)
- According to the laws of the state of Georgia “There 's no right to cancel contracts or purchase agreements. Whether you can receive a refund is dependent on the retailer 's return and refund policies”. This is why Spotify pop-up store decided that as a part of the excellent customer service we want to provide to our clients, they can make any return within 10 days of purchase with valid proof of purchase and according to some exceptions related with the use of the merchandise. It will be exchanged, refunded in cash, or credited to the customer account.... [tags: Sales, Customer service, Customer]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- Music has been a source of entertainment since it first hit the public’s ears. Since its birth, music has transformed from a treat for a live audience into an event that anyone can hear from anywhere on the planet. There are many companies aiming to place themselves as the go-to source of music, including Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora, as well as a few others. While searching for my article, I was initially looking for a story on Pandora, as it is the most commonly used my peers. However, upon searching I realized that Spotify has been making many strategic moves recently.... [tags: Marketing, Target market, Product differentiation]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- ... Music works in pretty much the opposite way. You listen to it, and then only go and buy the album if you like it enough. If people don’t have a way of sampling the wares of an artist, of getting to like their work enough to buy it, then albums are not going to bring in as much money as they could, which is a far more significant economic problem that what percent of a penny is paid out per play on streaming services. Spotify doesn’t need to pay out as much money as an album sale would because it also pays in other ways, like exposure, that can lead to an increase in revenue later on.... [tags: radio play comparison]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services has been struggling to accomplish a well organized computer system that was supposed to minimize the work of the employees, minimize the consumption of paper, decrease the number of errors and make the service for the customer faster. The bid for a newer, innovative and technological system began at $1 million dollars in 1995 (www.articles.com) . Many contractors sought the opportunity to make the County's dream come true. In this paper, I will attempt to describe a proposed project that will enable the County to fulfill the need for a faster service, more accurate, cutting unnecessary paper work for the employees and the lowest p... [tags: Project Overview Los Angeles Social Services]
1597 words (4.6 pages)
- It's no news to anyone that's reading this that the meteoric rise of the Internet in recent years has significantly increased the availability of all forms of media. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the realm of commercial musical recordings, where Napster and other internet-based distribution systems have made incredible volumes of musical content widely available, all without the consent of the music's originators. This situation, though, is not unique to the music industry, as photographers, filmmakers, and other content-originators all have the same problem to varying degrees.... [tags: Technology Media Essa]
3114 words (8.9 pages)
- Curriculum Overvie w When children are getting ready for their first day of school, they have no idea what is in store for them. Their mom’s and dad’s take them to get their first school supplies and new backpacks. What they don’t realize is that at the same time, their soon-to-be teachers are making the curriculums for the upcoming school year. When the word curriculum is used people have a general idea of what it means, but there has never been an agreed upon definition of the word. It has been said “Educational practitioners, theorists, and researchers have used the term curriculum in various ways, with no definitions universally accepted.... [tags: essays papers]
2941 words (8.4 pages)
- Angelic Overview ANGELIC OVERVIEW: "Angels are spirits," proclaimed St. Augustine. St. Thomas Aquinas believed that angels were pure spirit, having no matter or mass, and taking up no space; but Thomas believed angels could assume bodies at will. The purpose of angels is the same as mankind: to love and serve the Lord. However, being that angels are not material beings, and possibly from a different dimension, they can serve the Lord in many different ways. Angels have far greater will and intellect than we have.... [tags: social issues]
2231 words (6.4 pages)