According to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (“IUCN”) there are 6 categories of endangered animals:
• Extinct meaning no living member of a particular species on earth.
• Critically endangered which is the highest risk category for wild species and means these animals are facing high risk of extinction.
• Endangered animals are those that are close to becoming critically endangered.
• Vulnerable animals have high risk of extinction.
• Near threatened animals are ones that are believed to be endangered and close to extinction in the future, and
• Least concerned animals are species that have been evaluated but do not qualify for any other category.
The main reason animals are becoming extinct is due to direct human causes and environmental issues. Some of these include:
• Habitat deprivation
• Human use
• Entertainment purposes
• Environmental causes such as climate change, rising sea levels and global warming
• Exotic organisms
• Over fishing and poaching
Habitat loss is one of the main reasons why some species of animals are considered endangered. For example, the population of Africa doubles every twenty-four years. This means forests are destroyed to create space for people, to live and to grow crops, with the wood fro...
... middle of paper ...
Dugong, n.d. World Wildlife, accessed 17 March 2014,
Unsustainable and illegal wildlife trade, n.d. World Wildlife, accessed 17 March 2014,
Students, n.d. Tigers, Edu, accessed 17 March 2014,
Bove, J n.d. Why does it Matter if Species go Extinct?, About.Com, accessed 18 March 2014,
Endangered Species, n.d. N.d., accessed 18 March 2014,
Byrd, D 2011 Yellowstone benefitting from return of wolves, EarthSky, accessed 18 March 2014,
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A ruby-throated hummingbird (also nicknamed “the hummer”) is one of the smallest birds in this huge world. With such a tiny size, a hummingbird’s survival is an even bigger challenge. With over 300 birds in its family, 51 of the hummingbird species are on the endangered species list.The ruby-throated hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) is a species of hummingbird that Michiganders are most familiar with. The hummingbird’s taxonomic classification is as follows: its Kingdom is Animalia; its Phylum is Chordata (animals with notochords); Subphylum is Verbrata (animals spinal cord is protected) its Class is Aves (birds); its Order is Apodiformes; its Family is Trochilidae; its Genus is Archilochu... [tags: birds, endangered species]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Pollution from human activities brings forth danger to the different species of animals and plants to become extinct. There are five threats examined in the authors’ researches; habitat destruction, pollution, alien species, farms, and disease. Over time, pollution, destruction, diseases have destroyed the natural habitats and homes of species such as birds, fish, plants, and animals. The science of how species become extinct come from the over harvesting of crops, which places a threat on our birds and plants due to the pesticide pollution.... [tags: pollution, animals, plants, destruction]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- Briahna Bishop March 28, 2016 Dr. Zeng M/W 8:00 a.m The Giant Panda Express The Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) is a beloved creature known to the world. However, it is also a creature that is critically endangered and faces extinction. As human advancements obliterate the habitats and influence the lifestyle of the Giant Panda, research is conducted to uncover the cause of the Giant Panda’s current predicament and to improve the methods of conservation to save the Giant Panda. Information gained by researching the Giant Panda and its behaviors would help scientists and conservationists discover just what is hurting the Giant Panda, and what people can do to stop the Giant Panda’s pop... [tags: Giant Panda, Endangered species, Bear, Ailuropoda]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Sea turtles; there are currently seven different species swimming in the earth’s oceans. They are marine reptiles that have been around since dinosaurs walked the earth, give or take 150 million years (Texas Parks & Wildlife). And although these ancient creatures have been in the world way before Humans came into existence, it is ironic that all seven species of sea turtles are now endangered because of anthropogenic actions. Among the seven species, The Kemp’s Ridley is the most critically endangered.... [tags: Marine Reptiles, Sea Turtles, Ocean]
1605 words (4.6 pages)
- The bible teaches God’s words. God’s words are the Decalogue. The sixth commandment is thou shall not kill. Hunting is base on killing and has been the foremost arguable topic within the world. Hunting is defines in some ways. Merriam-Webster’s Learner’s Dictionary defines hunting as, “the activity or sport of chasing and killing wild animals.” Google outlined it as, “the activity of hunting wild animals or game, especially for food or sport.” The pros and cons of hunting are going to be the deciding factor of illegalizing hunting.... [tags: Endangered species, Hunting, Thylacine]
1214 words (3.5 pages)
- Protecting the Endangered The beautiful species of the wild are being endangered more and more each day. Because of the increase of endangered wildlife society now faces several extinctions therefore, to prevent this problem, the government should pass laws or policies that provide greater protection and preservation, provide more information about endangered species, give more publicity to the issue and support charities. “An endangered species is one whose numbers are so small that it is at risk of extinction” (Do Something 2015).... [tags: Endangered species, Extinction, Species, Plant]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Biological Diversity Biodiversity is a major concern in international and national politics. How can we manage our environment and preserve what we have before all is lost and exhausted. `This question is a main concern for present and future generations. In its simplest terms, biological diversity is the variety of life and its processes, and it includes the variety of living organisms, the genetic differences among them, and the communities and ecosystems in which they occur. In any habitat which is hospitable for life, whether it is a tidal pool, lake, mountain top, desert, rainforest, or any other, there are a great variety of organisms interacting with one another, competing w... [tags: Ecology Environment Endangered Species]
6350 words (18.1 pages)
- In today’s society everyone seems to have an opinion on everything. It seems the more uninformed one is on a subject the more strongly the feel about it. Occasionally there are those who address issues they are well informed on in a well-organized and civilized manner, weighing both the pros and cons of the side they advocate. Brandon M. Middleton does an exceptional job of this in his article on the Endangered Species Act, where he talks about the effectiveness of the Federal government’s current involvement with endangered species.... [tags: Endangered species, Species]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- The Endangered Species Act was established in 1973 to protect endangered species. Climate change, caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions, has serious consequences for many species, but it is a great concern for polar bears. Polar bear populations are susceptible to climate change, hunting, and habitat alteration. They are the world’s largest terrestrial carnivore and because of their strength polar bears are the symbol of the Arctic. Their physical characteristics make polar bears a perfect fit for the arctic.... [tags: Endangered Species]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- The earth has experienced many unexpected outcomes over the years. The changes on earth have affected many animals, plants, and ecosystems. Different kinds of species stay involved with the dramatic changes the earth has went through. The past includes climate changes, distinctions, meteorites, and evolution processes. The changes on earth will always impact different species no matter where the species occupies. The changes on earth have led to many species becoming endangered. Endangered species continue to increase and without help, earth’s species will become distinct.... [tags: Species, Extinction, Endangered species, Hunting]
984 words (2.8 pages)