The Durga Puja festival is a celebration of the goddess Durga who helped the Gods eliminate many demons like Madhu, Kaitabha and Mahishasura, the most famous demon (Jones, 139). The festival mostly commemorates the victory over Mahishasura also known as the Buffalo demon (Jones, 140). Hindu mythology states that Mahishasura was once granted a blessing from the destroyer God Shiva where neither male nor god would be able to kill him. The only way for life to be taken away from him was if a woman were to kill him. The demon took advantage of the blessing, creating chaos in the world and defeating the gods becoming the Lord of the heavens (Mythology of Durga Puja, par 1). The gods having their home taken away had no choice but to create a woman who would be able to defeat Mahishasura (Mythology of Durga Puja, par 2). With Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva combining their energies as well as other gods, they formed the ultimate power Durga (Mythology of Durga Puja, pars 2-3). To aid the goddess in battle against the demon, the gods gave her various weapons and gifts including new clothing, a garland of immortal lotuses and more (Mythology of Durga Puja, par 4). She was now prepared to engage in combat. Armed by the weapons and gifts of the gods she starts into battle (Mythology of Durga...
... middle of paper ...
...er religions; they are unique and bring a warm feeling to the heart.
Azmi, Neha. “DURGA PUJA- The Festival.” Sharod info. n.p. n.d. Web. Jan 12. 2014.
Das, Subhamoy. “The History & Origin of Durga Puja.” About.com. n.p. n.d. Web. 12 Jan, 2014.
Jones, Constance, and Ryan, James. Encyclopedia of Hinduism. New York: Facts On File, 2007. Infobase eBooks. Web. 19 Jan. 2014.
Mudi, Aparna. “The Days of Durgotsav.” Zeenews. India. n.p. 2013. Web. 16 Jan. 2014.
“Mythology of Durga Puja.” Durga Puja. n.p. n.d. Web. 12 Jan, 2014.
Pandey, Jhimli. “Kolkata's first community puja going strong for 104 years.” The Times of India. n.p. 2013. Web. 16 Jan. 2014.
Robinson, James. Hinduism. New York: Chelsea House, 2004. Infobase eBooks. Web. 19 Jan. 2014.
Sen-Handley, Shreya. “ Durga Puja cam be as magical as Christmas.” The Guardian. n.p. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- With guidance from principle beliefs and the XIVth Dalai Lama, Buddhist bioethics and the devotional practice of Temple Puja have an impact of high significance on individuals, and the Buddhist community in ultimately, guiding the life of the adherent to achieve total enlightenment. As the modern figurehead for Buddhism, the XIVth Dalai Lama has contributed to the formulation and reassessment of the Buddhist approach to ethical issues. Buddhism’s approach to ethics and practices are centred upon the principal beliefs of; the Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path and the Five Precepts.... [tags: Buddhism, Gautama Buddha, Dukkha]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Comparing the Goddesses Kali and Durga Appearing in later Vedic literature of the Hindu religion are two goddesses, Durga and Kali. These goddesses have many similarities and differences. Kali and Durga are different in three ways. 1) Durga is a radiant warrior goddess and Kali is a bloodthirsty monster goddess. 2) Durga and Kali are both associated with the Hindu god Shiva. The two goddesses play different roles when they are with Shiva and affect him in different ways. 3) Durga maintains the balance of the cosmos while Kali destroys the balance.... [tags: Papers]
693 words (2 pages)
- Nav-Durga In many temples, homes and calendars, this image is prevalent. It is well known, yet many may not know the meaning behind it. This is an image of the nine forms of the goddess Durga, often called Nav Durga, with ‘nav’ being the word for nine. Together, the symbols and emblems show Nav Durga is a very significant group of goddesses for Hindus. This image shows the goddess Durga in nine of her forms. The goddess in the middle is the main form, Durga. This is evident because she is in the center and is largest, suggesting that she is more important, or that the entire image has to do with her.... [tags: Hindu Hinduism Goddess]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services has been struggling to accomplish a well organized computer system that was supposed to minimize the work of the employees, minimize the consumption of paper, decrease the number of errors and make the service for the customer faster. The bid for a newer, innovative and technological system began at $1 million dollars in 1995 (www.articles.com) . Many contractors sought the opportunity to make the County's dream come true. In this paper, I will attempt to describe a proposed project that will enable the County to fulfill the need for a faster service, more accurate, cutting unnecessary paper work for the employees and the lowest p... [tags: Project Overview Los Angeles Social Services]
1597 words (4.6 pages)
- It's no news to anyone that's reading this that the meteoric rise of the Internet in recent years has significantly increased the availability of all forms of media. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the realm of commercial musical recordings, where Napster and other internet-based distribution systems have made incredible volumes of musical content widely available, all without the consent of the music's originators. This situation, though, is not unique to the music industry, as photographers, filmmakers, and other content-originators all have the same problem to varying degrees.... [tags: Technology Media Essa]
3114 words (8.9 pages)
- Overview of the Olympics The Olympic Games are an international sports competition. In the Olympics, athletes play in many types of games. Some athletes compete in the Summer Olympics. Some compete in the Summer Olympics. The Olympic Games are very old and have a very interesting history. The first Olympic Games were held in Greece in ancient times. They probably began in the sixth century B.C. The contests are held every four years in the summer. The first games lasted for only one day. There was only one contest.... [tags: Sports History Athletics Essays]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Curriculum Overvie w When children are getting ready for their first day of school, they have no idea what is in store for them. Their mom’s and dad’s take them to get their first school supplies and new backpacks. What they don’t realize is that at the same time, their soon-to-be teachers are making the curriculums for the upcoming school year. When the word curriculum is used people have a general idea of what it means, but there has never been an agreed upon definition of the word. It has been said “Educational practitioners, theorists, and researchers have used the term curriculum in various ways, with no definitions universally accepted.... [tags: essays papers]
2941 words (8.4 pages)
- Angelic Overview ANGELIC OVERVIEW: "Angels are spirits," proclaimed St. Augustine. St. Thomas Aquinas believed that angels were pure spirit, having no matter or mass, and taking up no space; but Thomas believed angels could assume bodies at will. The purpose of angels is the same as mankind: to love and serve the Lord. However, being that angels are not material beings, and possibly from a different dimension, they can serve the Lord in many different ways. Angels have far greater will and intellect than we have.... [tags: social issues]
2231 words (6.4 pages)