Secondary growth increases the girth of plants and have first been spotted in a type of fern during the Devonian period. This type of growth has been developed to compete with other plants during the Devonian period in order to achieve more sunlight for photosynthesis and for spores or seeds dispersal (Rachel 2010). In order to compete with other plants, it must reach new height and be flexible with the help of thicker stems, roots, or branches. This type of growth occurs only in dicots and some gymnosperms in vascular plants which are not found in monocots (Secondary Growth 2009). Two lateral meristems are involved in secondary growth which are cork cambium and vascular cambium. Meristems is a type of tissue which is made up of meristematic cel...
... middle of paper ...
...ional Shapes of Cork Cambium and Cork Cells in the Stem of Pelargonium hortorum Bailey. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 79(4): 312-328.
Frank GL. 1955. The Origin and Development of Cork Cambium Cells in the Stem of Pelargonium hortorum Bailey. American Journal of Botany. 42(10): 929-936.
Rachel S., Andrew G. 2010. Evolution of Development of Vascular Cambia and Secondary Growth. New Phytologist. 186(3): 577-592.
Ray FE., Susan EE. 2013. Raven Biology of Plants. 8th ed. New York: W. H. Freeman and Company. p. 391-429.
Secondary Growth [Internet].: General Botany; [updated 2009 Jan 22; cited 2013 Dec 10]. Available from: http://people.eku.edu/clarkro/secondarygrowth.htm
Thomas LR. Secondary Growth in Roots [Internet]. California: Tomato Anatomy; [updated 1996; cited 2013 Dec 10]. Available from: http://www-plb.ucdavis.edu/labs/rost/tomato/roots/secondary.html
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Philipps-Universität Marburg Fachbereich 10: Fremdsprachliche Philologien Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik PS: The Landscape of Ireland Leitung: Madeleine Kinsella Hausarbeit von Mathias Weber County Cork County Cork The aim of this term paper is to give an overview of the county Cork, beginning with its geographical location then present some historical events that are relevant to the history of Cork and finally show the places of interest, both of the county Cork and of the city itself.... [tags: essays research papers]
3111 words (8.9 pages)
- System Overview The Lake County Library System consists of an administrative office located in Tavares, nine member libraries, and six branch libraries. Member libraries include: Fruitland Park Library; Helen Lehmann Memorial Library in Montverde; Lady Lake Public Library; Leesburg Public Library; Marianne Beck Memorial Library in Howey-in-the-Hills; Minneola Schoolhouse Library; City of Tavares Public Library; Umatilla Public Library; and the W.T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora. Branch libraries include: Astor County Library; Cagan Crossings Community Library in the Four Corners area; Cooper Memorial Library in Clermont; East Lake County Library in Sorrento; Marion Baysinger Memorial C... [tags: System Overview]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Cork oak, Quercus suber, is native to the Woodland Biome located in the Mediterranean. These cork oak forests are common in such mediterranean countries as Portugal, Spain, Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Italy, and France. Known for its high species diversity, the cork oak is one of 13,000 plant species found only in this Mediterranean Woodland (Cork Screwed. 2006). In fact, the mediterranean has the second highest level of species diversity, aside from the tropical Andes. As we know, ‘diversity begets diversity’, and this high level of plant diversity allows for a high level of animal diversity as well.... [tags: Habitat Loss, Wine Bottles]
1095 words (3.1 pages)
- Relocation is always an exciting experience and a challenge to the people who have no knowledge about the deployed country. Therefore, we are happy to provide any assistance for your upcoming journey. This article is aim to provide information of Singapore to help you gain your knowledge before your arrival. It includes brief introduction and some suggestions. We hope you may find it useful. History Singapore, strategically situated at the Southern tip of the Malayan Peninsula, between Malaysia and Indonesia, is an island city state with 714 sq km.... [tags: Country Overview, Geography]
1774 words (5.1 pages)
- The system I am designing for MR Cork can be done by using many different solutions. The different solutions and both their good and bad points are mentioned below. Possible Solutions Solution for current system After reviewing the way in which the current system operates in the analysis section, I believe that by organising the current diary system and making it more organised would be a major benefit to Mr Cork. A folder of customer details can be implemented into the system and would store such information customer details, including phone numbers, addresses and any other relevant information required by Mr Cork.... [tags: Computer Science]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services has been struggling to accomplish a well organized computer system that was supposed to minimize the work of the employees, minimize the consumption of paper, decrease the number of errors and make the service for the customer faster. The bid for a newer, innovative and technological system began at $1 million dollars in 1995 (www.articles.com) . Many contractors sought the opportunity to make the County's dream come true. In this paper, I will attempt to describe a proposed project that will enable the County to fulfill the need for a faster service, more accurate, cutting unnecessary paper work for the employees and the lowest p... [tags: Project Overview Los Angeles Social Services]
1597 words (4.6 pages)
- It's no news to anyone that's reading this that the meteoric rise of the Internet in recent years has significantly increased the availability of all forms of media. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the realm of commercial musical recordings, where Napster and other internet-based distribution systems have made incredible volumes of musical content widely available, all without the consent of the music's originators. This situation, though, is not unique to the music industry, as photographers, filmmakers, and other content-originators all have the same problem to varying degrees.... [tags: Technology Media Essa]
3114 words (8.9 pages)
- Overview of the Olympics The Olympic Games are an international sports competition. In the Olympics, athletes play in many types of games. Some athletes compete in the Summer Olympics. Some compete in the Summer Olympics. The Olympic Games are very old and have a very interesting history. The first Olympic Games were held in Greece in ancient times. They probably began in the sixth century B.C. The contests are held every four years in the summer. The first games lasted for only one day. There was only one contest.... [tags: Sports History Athletics Essays]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Curriculum Overvie w When children are getting ready for their first day of school, they have no idea what is in store for them. Their mom’s and dad’s take them to get their first school supplies and new backpacks. What they don’t realize is that at the same time, their soon-to-be teachers are making the curriculums for the upcoming school year. When the word curriculum is used people have a general idea of what it means, but there has never been an agreed upon definition of the word. It has been said “Educational practitioners, theorists, and researchers have used the term curriculum in various ways, with no definitions universally accepted.... [tags: essays papers]
2941 words (8.4 pages)
- Angelic Overview ANGELIC OVERVIEW: "Angels are spirits," proclaimed St. Augustine. St. Thomas Aquinas believed that angels were pure spirit, having no matter or mass, and taking up no space; but Thomas believed angels could assume bodies at will. The purpose of angels is the same as mankind: to love and serve the Lord. However, being that angels are not material beings, and possibly from a different dimension, they can serve the Lord in many different ways. Angels have far greater will and intellect than we have.... [tags: social issues]
2231 words (6.4 pages)