... middle of paper ...
...e away. Even when he made it into the future, and his time machine disappeared, he stayed calm and had faith in himself. He learned this “alien language”, and always kept trying. All it takes is the first step, and the world is at your fingertips. Riding a bike may seem terrifying before you know how, but once you can make it down the street once or twice, the rest will fall into place.
Hinton, S. E. The Outsiders. New York: Viking, 1967. Print.
Smith, Johanna M. "Outsiders: Class, Gender and Nation." Literature Resource Center. Gale, n.d. Web.
Summerville, Bruce D. "The Time Machine: A Chronological and Scientific Revision."Literature Resources from Gale. Gale, n.d. Web
Sutherland, Zena. "The Teen-Ager Speaks." Literature Resources from Gale. Gale, n.d. Web.
Wells, H. G. The Time Machine. Comp. Melvin Burgess. New York: Scholastic, 2002. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Overcoming Obstacles Have you ever found yourself pondering “what now?” after having made a goal that seemed easy enough to achieve, only to find yourself facing a dilemma. Perhaps, the individual is a first time home buyer needing a much higher than anticipated amount as a down payment for a new home. So, how does this person handle this issue that is keeping them from buying their new home. Where would a person in this scenario, even begin to look for answers after such devastating news.... [tags: Thought, Human, Mind, Psychology]
774 words (2.2 pages)
- Diversity in the workplace is not a new idea or concept. From the late 1800’s to the early 1900’s the majority of people living in the United States were immigrants from other countries including Italy, Russia, and Ireland. Each of the members from these countries spoke different languages, came from different cultures, and had different customs and work ethics. Acceptance to them was fought for in the workplace in industries such as coal, steel, automobile manufacturing, and other labor forces.... [tags: generations X and Y, leadership]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- In life you have everyday obstacles that you are faced with, some obstacles are big and some are small, but in spite of the obstacles you strive to overcome them. Learning to read and write was a huge obstacle for me because when I was younger I didn’t care about anything but video games and toys. Later, as I grew up I saw the importance of those essentials and eventually learned how to read and write. Even though I could read and write I had to face a lot of adversity just because I stutter. It 's times where I had to read out loud and was so nervous that I would stuttered, or times where I would be talking and get tongue tied and people would laugh, but as I got older I stop caring what p... [tags: Learning, Teacher, Education, Want]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- During the course of the novel “The Outsiders” there are three linked deaths that change the relationships between the Curtis brothers in many different ways. The soc, Bob Sheldon, dies first. When Ponyboy and Johnny flee after Darry hit Ponyboy they run into their rivals Bob and his best friend Randy Adderson. Bob takes Ponyboy and starts drowning him until Johnny gets his switchblade out and kills Bob. After this, Johnny dies. Dally (a greaser with a criminal record) sends Ponyboy and Johnny to an abandoned church so they can hide after what they did.... [tags: The Outsiders]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- Overcoming challenges is a difficult thing to do. I 've always been a shy person even when I was a little girl; and it seems that as I 'm getting older, it 's getting worse. For me, my shyness is a challenge I have to overcome; it takes a lot of preparation to even think about overcoming a task physically, let alone emotionally. Determination is a big role in helping me overcome my challenges, this lets others know how much I want to succeed; and what I 'm willing to do to set my goals. Faith also helps to tell me that I can do whatever I set my mind to.... [tags: High school, Educational years, Shyness]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- Adversity enhances ones’ positive characteristics due to the provision of an ideal environment for establishing integrity and developing a mature mindset. This conclusion is valid because people tend to learn from their mistakes, thus gain a broader perspective on life. Often, calamity serves as a catalyst for the unveiling of latent talents; literature provides the venue for such as plots tend to revolve around overcoming challenges and hardships. Notably, in the World War II novel, Code Name Verity, follows a young girl named Julie, who is recruited into British special operations.... [tags: the advantages of adversity]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Oprah Gail Winfrey born January 29, 1954 is well-known for one the best talk shows called “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and is renowned for her supporting to charities and creating her own “Angels Network” aimed at inspiring people around the world to make differences in others lives for those who are less privileged. The reasons that I have selected Oprah Winfrey are because she is the best in her field, has over come personal obstacles, contributed greatly to society and has inspired others to achieve.... [tags: Biography]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- There is a saying, “we are all in the same game of life, just on different levels”. Is this true in the novel The Outsiders. Or does one social group struggle more. The novel The Outsiders by the American author S.E Hinton, follows a “delinquent” gang called the greasers, and their privileged enemies, the Socs. When Johnny Cade, a greaser, murders a Soc, he and his friend, Ponyboy Curtis, are on a run from law. They receive help from their fellow greaser, Dallas Winston, and the Socy cheerleader, Sherri or Cherry Valance.... [tags: The Outsiders, S. E. Hinton, The Outsiders]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- The Fairy-tale of If on a winter's night a traveler In the past, fairy-tales have been a major form of writing for the great minds of the imaginative authors of the world. In search of cultural roots, much of Europe focused on its folktale and fairy-tales. However, Early Modern and Contemporary Italy took its tales and changed, manipulated, and combined them, having dissimilar concerns as the other societies of Europe. Influenced by his nation's overall approach to its heritage, Italo Calvino, in his novel If on a winter's night a traveler, is blatantly provided with a fundamental structure, plot, and theme through his use of the fairy-tale.... [tags: If on a winter's night a traveler]
1258 words (3.6 pages)
- Overcoming Obstacles Throughout a persons life, they are faced with different obstacles, and different challenges of all different types. My life in particular has been full of up and downs related especially towards my soccer career. In the novel The Pact, three boys, George, Rameck, and Sam are faced with many obstacles throughout their lives, where they must learn to overcome and achieve great success on their own will power. Essentially, I have done the same thing. My soccer career has been one of my most difficult life challenges creating the person I am today.... [tags: Personal Narrative Soccer Athletics Essays]
1962 words (5.6 pages)