Asexual: Softwood cuttings
Select a healthy rosemary plant cutting with good genetics that has new growth branches on it. This helps with growing softwood cuttings from scratch.
>Why I did this step is because getting good genetics and softwood cutting has more growing hormone to get it started. Also having a healthy plant from the start helps because due to the fact is has no diseases.
Then cut it on a 45 degree angle about 5 to 10 cm from the top of the cutting use secateurs make sure they are sharp and sterilized before cutting,as they can transfer plant diseases and destroy the cells on the cuttings.
>Why I would do this step cut the cutting on 45 degrees is to give it more surface area for it to take up the nutrients, water and oxygen. Also 5 to 10 cm so it is not to long because it is too hard to get it started or not too short because it sometimes will die back to the nodes which sometimes can kill it. Also have the secateurs clean so it doesn 't transfer any diseases.
Strip the bottom of the cutting leaves off using fingers take about 2 to 4 cm of the cutting depending on the size.
>Why I did this step is to make sure you don 't take off too many leaves so it can keep growing and have access to water and nutrients in the ground.Also to make sure you take some leaves off to be able to buried the end of the plant without getting the leafs buried and if there too many leaves causes water loss.
Fill a punnet of seed raising mix and make sure it is firmly pressed not filling it right to the top just sitting under the edge. Use a float to press the soil down if it helps.
>Why you do this step is to press the soil down hard so it combines with the seeds around it. Also the reason we use seed raising mix...
... middle of paper ...
...lso need a reasonable warm time of year to grow as if they don 't the seeds won 't be able germinate
If there isn 't enough light there the cutting will not be able to grow and photosynthesis.
The seeds require light when germinating as this is the direction they sprout there shoot.
In conclusion for growing a rosemary plant using the plant propagation techniques I would choose asexual. I believe it 's a lot better way than sexual.Due to the fact that when you grow from a cutting it is a quicker way to grow the plant. Where as if you grow from sexual through seeds it takes a lot longer as the seed has to germinate. Also the cutting will be similar to the parent plant you will be able to know what you are going to get. As if you used the seeds they might not be used to the environment, therefore could struggle to grow in the conditions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Rosemary: Nature’s Most Adaptable Plants Herbs and spices are commonly regarded as the most nutritious foods and are used in recipes as inconspicuous ingredients to make them more favorable. However ordinary plants they may seem, they add ripple flavor on recipes. When the herbs and spices are dried, they provide a numerous healthy compounds known as phytonutrients that not only improves the taste of food but also benefits the body. An in-depth History of Rosemary Rosemary is one of those all-around plants in the planet with a variety of uses from cuisine, aromatherapy to medicine.... [tags: herbs, cooking, medicine]
1595 words (4.6 pages)
- Throughout Rosemary Jackson's work three significant points could me made about her definition of the fantastic. Jackson writes about the fantastic as a genre or mode, how it should be interpreted by the reader, and more specifically, what it embodies. According to Jackson, because the fantastic is not a literary category it can not be defined as a genre and should therefore be referred to as a mode placed between the marvelous and the uncanny. Referring to the fantastic as a "mode" helps and leans towards a definition of this type of literature.... [tags: Rosemary Jackson, ]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- PART A: Topic Overview What are plants. Plants are vital for human survival and important for human well-being. Everything depends on plants. Plants are alive and have needs just like people and animals. Plants need air, water, nutrients, and sunlight so they can stay alive. One characteristic that distinguishes plants from most other living things is the ability to make their own food. This process is called photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is when plants use energy from the sun to grow and reproduce.... [tags: Photosynthesis, Chlorophyll, Plant]
1851 words (5.3 pages)
- It was lunch time and students walked into the cafeteria to purchase lunch. A wide variety of food was placed in front of them to choose from ranging from pizza to burgers to bags of chips and chocolate bars. Their choices were endless up until a new reform took over and enlisted new changes. The Healthy Food for Healthy School Act was placed on September 1st, 2008. Its policy entailed schools to practice healthy eating where they would be “dropping trans fat from food and beverages sold in schools and establishing mandatory nutrition standards for food and beverages sold in schools” (Ontario Ministry of Education).... [tags: healthy lifestyle, junk food]
1207 words (3.4 pages)
- Evolution Most botanists believe that the Pteridophytes also known as ferns are descendants of the Rhyniopsida, an extinct group of free-sporing plants which originated in the Silurian period (about 430 million years ago) and went extinct in the mid-Devonian period (about 370 million years ago). Physiology Ferns has no flowers, no seeds, and no fruits. A fern is defined as a cryptogam which means a plant that has no true flowers or seeds. With sporangia, a receptacle in which asexual spores are formed evolving from the leaf.... [tags: Fern, Plant, Species, Leaf]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction Plants exhibit exceptionally intelligent behaviour when it comes to interactions with their environment. They can detect perceived threats, then convey warning signals to other plants via chemical signaling. Forewarned plants will then assemble their defenses against these potential threats, thus, increasing their chance of survival and reproduction. Communication and competition are common occurrences among the plant world. Another brilliantly, almost inconceivable capability plants possess is the ability to recognize coexisting family members within their home range.... [tags: Environment, Plant Species, Plant Communication]
1519 words (4.3 pages)
- Many problems arose when conducting this experiment. Initially, I planned to record results every day for the plants, however, the plants did not always grow every day. The plant which received the most light in particular did not show many results initially as it took it up to nine days before recording results was possible. This was a set back and I ended up having to change the times at which I was recording results. I ended up measuring a day apart and then waited 3-4 days before recording results again.... [tags: Light, Photosynthesis, Plant, Fern]
2026 words (5.8 pages)
- Which Diet is Really the Key to a Healthy Life. Michael Pollan’s Omnivore’s Dilemma and T. Campbell’s, The China Study provide strong criticisms of how most Americans grow and consume their food. Pollan argues that the mechanization of the American industrial food system harms consumers, while Campbell believes that a whole food plant based diet is the key to a healthy life. Both diets have room for improvement, but Pollan’s conclusions are stronger and more scientifically supported. Pollan wants people to be more aware of where there food comes from and to choose to eat foods that have more of an ethical appeal.... [tags: food, plant-based diet]
1506 words (4.3 pages)
- Kalanchoe is part of the Crassulaceae plant family, which includes relatives such as Jade and Stonecrop. A native of Madagascar, the plant requires sun and a well-drained, light soil, one suitable for cacti. There are over 125 species of the Kalanchoe tropical plants, only one species of the crassulaceae family originates from the America, 56 from southern & eastern Africa and 60 species in Madagascar. They are also found in south-eastern Asia and China. The name Kalanchoe comes from a phonetic transcription of the Chinese words 'Kalan Chauhuy' meaning "that which falls and grows", likely in reference to the plantlets that drop from many of the species but others believe it from the ancient... [tags: house plant, leaves]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- The acidity or alkalinity level is dictated by the pH, potential of hydrogen, scale. Soil pH or soil reaction is an implication of the acidity or alkalinity of soil and is measured in pH units. Soil pH is characterized as the negative logarithm of the hydrogen particle fixation. As the measure of hydrogen particles in the soil builds the soil pH diminishes along these lines getting to be more acidic. From pH 7 to 0 the soil is progressively more acidic and from pH 7 to 14 the soil is progressively more alkaline or basic.... [tags: plant development, alkalinity of soil]
997 words (2.8 pages)