The long debated issue of teaching abstinence or contraception awareness is an inevitable topic that has and will continue to linger in school board meeting rooms for years and years to come. Parents are not talking to their children about sex because some deem it as awkward or uncalled for, leaving it to the schools to teach the little education they have. “This take on sex education is known among educators as the "abstinence-only approach," in which totally refraining fr...
... middle of paper ...
...sex education in the massive welfare overhaul in 1996, abstinence became the mandatory national sex education policy in America for more than a decade” (Wess p4). Parents should, even with in school sexual education, talk to their teenagers not only about no sex but about safe sex. The time will come along when temptation will strike and knowing proper safety measures could, in extreme cases, save a life.
"Abstinence V Sex Ed." WebMD. N.p., 14 Aug. 2010. Web. 2 Dec. 2013. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/abstinence-vs-sex-ed?page=2
"Advocates for Youth." Abstinence v Comprehensive Edu.. N.p., 9 Sept. 2009. Web. 2 Dec. 2013.
Hess, Amie. "The Politics of Virginity: Abstinence in Sex Education." MuseJHUEdu. N.p., Mar. 2011. Web. 1 Dec. 2013
Maynard, Missi. "Religious Beliefs on Abstinence ." Demand Media. N.p., 5 July 2012. Web. 4 Dec. 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How important is the quality of education in America to its citizens. Although it may seem obvious this question may not have a very clear answer. Traditional classroom style education that this country has followed for hundreds of years is becoming endangered to electronic takeover. Not in the way that the classrooms will become more technologically advanced, but that they are being replaced by at home online courses. Unfortunately many of the students enrolled aren’t because they need this type of education but rather that they do it out of pure convenience.... [tags: Education ]
2088 words (6 pages)
- ... Applying for scholarships is limitless. Scholarships are everywhere to be found, it is just the effort from the student that is needed in order to find them. Yes, it will take time and effort to do this, but think about it. You can probably attend the most expensive university in the state and can manage to have a low student debt. It all comes from the person, and their willingness to have a higher level of education. There are reasons why students should keep attending college. Earning a college degree can have some fall downs, but look on the bright side, it offers more secure financial stability.... [tags: Higher education, University, High school]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- High School Vs College There are a lot of differences between high school and college. Some of the differences are the education, the professors, and the students. This essay will explain the difference between high school and college. College education is very different from high school. It is different because there are certain topics that teachers can’t discuss with their students. For example, religion and a person’s sexual orientation. These topics are avoided because the schools don’t want to offend any students.... [tags: Education, High school, Teacher, School]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- ... In addition, high school teachers develop a closer relationship with students in order to influence them to pursue their future. High school professors assign homework daily, but they are flexible when it comes to the due date. Students have various chances to turn the homework in before the professor grade the assignment with an F. Instead, a professor is an expert who transfers his knowledge to students, and makes them successful professionals. College professors are required to have completed a doctorate in their field of knowledge or a mastery upon their bachelor’s degree.... [tags: High school, Education, College, School]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- name date prof clss title As many high school seniors start their year they begin to ponder one very important question. That is do they go to a traditional four year school, go into the work for or go for a trade. Well there is a third option that is not very common or talked about a lot, it is a gap year. What this is a year to do what the person pleases and find themselves and figure what they want to do. Weather this be working for a year to save money for their dream college, to travel the word and go on missions trips to under developed places, also to gain a more advanced cultural understanding of the world, Or all their other plans have fell through for one reason or another.... [tags: High school, Higher education, College]
1421 words (4.1 pages)
- Coming from a small town where farming and working right after high school is what everyone decides to do, I decided to further my education by going to college. College to some people isn’t even an option, most kids would follow up their families and go work for them or start helping out around their farms or in the family business. Not wanting to be stuck in my hometown for my young years or working right after school I started looking at colleges to get out and go do bigger and better things.... [tags: High school, College, Higher education]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Besides not being economically ready for life, graduates are deprived of many other life skills necessary for success. For the 2014-2015 school year there was project that 2.2 million of 3.3 million students were enrolling straight into post secondary education (Education Commission of the, States). That leaves 1.1 million students going straight into the world of adulthood. High schools must take responsibility and make sure these young adults know how to manage living by themselves. Ignored basic skills like doing the laundry and cooking a good meal are needed in life, and should be taught to students.... [tags: High school, Education, Teacher, College]
1450 words (4.1 pages)
- ... There are many implications of a student who takes a gap year. You hear many people say things about how if a student takes a year off there is no way they will ever go back, or how a year off is simply just a waste of time and you might as well just go ahead to college right away. If a graduate has any desire to make the most of there gap year, then they should not listen to any of the negative stigma that comes with a postgraduate year. Everyone develops and learns in different ways and for one person to say that another way of learning or developing won’t work is wrong.... [tags: High school, Education, College, University]
2643 words (7.6 pages)
- ... We spend approximately 14,400 hours in each year-long class (having 180 days of school 5 days a week) those hours could more than make sure we knew information invaluable for our future careers. There’s no disagreeing, this wasted time could be spent improving our preparedness for future careers, which is prefered by most individuals. On the flip side, a focused area of studies leads to a child superiorly prepared to enter the working force, especially if they choose not to attend college, but rather go straight into a future career.... [tags: High school, University, Education, College]
834 words (2.4 pages)
- The K-12 public school system of the U.S. must be nurtured, diversified and promoted to a higher academic standard. The term “public education” means education that is publicly financed through various tax programs and those personnel in charge are accountable to public authorities and designated places of education must be accessible to all students with attendance mandatory unless specified through legal documentation. The term "public education" covers every type of public school from kindergarten through the 12th grade to include traditional, charter, magnet, vocational and various alternative schools.... [tags: Education]
1156 words (3.3 pages)