“The two questions that I am most commonly asked when I am discussing basketball with persons whom I have just met are, "How did you come to think of it?" and "What changes have taken place in the game since its origin?”” (Naismith 61). The game of basketball started at a local YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts in late 1891. In the late 1870’s, men who attended college would usually find an intercollegiate sport to participate in. However, when the men graduated and moved to the cities to find jobs for themselves, they found that there was too much leisure time and began searching for athletic diversion. Men often filled their newfound leisure time with different sporting clubs and the YMCA. With so many summer and fall sports to choose from, the athletes found it astonishing that winter sports and organizations were hard to come by. In fact, the only activity clubs and the YMCA tried to interest the men with was gymnastics. Nonetheless, gymnastics could never amount to filling the gaping h...
... middle of paper ...
2. "Billion-Dollar Knicks and Lakers Top List of NBA's Most Valuable Teams." Forbes.com, January 23, 2013.
3. Harv, C. "Basketball: its Origin and Development." Baller on a Mission. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014. http://balleronamission.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/basketball-its-origin-and-development/
Association Press. "BASKETBALL: Its Origin and Development." Kirkus Reviews. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2014. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/james-naismith/basketball-its-origin-and-development-2/
4. Peterson, Robert W. (2002). Cages to Jump Shots: Pro Basketball's Early Years. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
5. Anderson, Dave. The Story of Basketball. New York: W. Morrow, 1988. Print.
6. Nelson, Murry R. The National Basketball League: A History, 1935-1949. Jefferson, NC: McFarland &, 2009. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The game spread thru the nation, Canada and even certain parts of the world. It became popular even outdoors with servicemen playing it in other countries during War World II. Originally, the game was played with peach baskets or 18” square boxes hung from the balconies of the running tracks of most indoor facilities. At this time the basket height was established at 10 feet, which still stands today. Obviously, the peach baskets and boxes slowed the game down since the ball had to be retrieved after every goal either by someone on the running track or by ladder.... [tags: James Naimsmith, dribble, league]
525 words (1.5 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- The game of basketball is recognizable high school or the NBA. The sport is very popular and is played worldwide. Everyone may also know the sport from some names of basketball stars. Maybe the names Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Dr. J, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, or Carmelo Anthony ring a bell. They are all outstanding players of the game and have a significant understanding of how the game is played. Basketball has changed alot overtime and has become one of Americas most played sports. It takes time to really learn the ins and outs of the game and also to get a good handle on things.... [tags: Sports ]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Over the years since basketball was invented, its popularity has gotten very big. The game is played all over the world and has made a lot of people rich through its many professional leagues. The National Basketball Association is, by far, the most popular league in the world, but a lot of people like to watch college, high school, and recreational basketball as much. The game of basketball is one of the most popular and exciting games to watch or play on any skill level. In December of 1891, Dr.... [tags: essays research papers]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world and the second most popular in the United States and unlike other popular American sports it’s the only one that originated in the U.S(The basketball man, 2006).The game of basketball has evolved tremendously since its creation in 1891 by James Naismith. Naismith was a physical education teacher at the School for Christian Workers, now Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was approached by the head of the department one day in early December to invent a game that will keep the athletes busy and entertained during the winter months.... [tags: Sports, History]
3010 words (8.6 pages)
- Basketball is America’s past time. But all around the world soccer is the most popular sport. Fans are crazy about their teams and travel around the world just to see them play. Soccer is the most played and watched game in the world. I could never forget the first time my dad and I went to watch Manchester United vs. Real Madrid in the major league soccer game. The excitement began from my house to the stadium and during the time of game. Now, I was six years old, and my dad had me up on his shoulders so I could have a good sight of the game.... [tags: sports, goal keeper, position]
628 words (1.8 pages)
- ... In one poll in 2014, professional football rated as the most popular sport in USA followed by professional baseball and college football. Professional football ranked first in the poll since 1985. Professional league of american football is National Football League(NFL). The Super Bowl, which is the championship of the NFL, is one of the biggest game in club sports in the world. It is played between two teams, the champions of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC), Its winner is awarded the Vince Lombardi Trophy.... [tags: football, baseball, basketball]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- I have chosen this career because there is nothing I would rather do than play the game of basketball for the rest my life. I started playing organized basketball in the sixth grade, and I have been in love with the game ever since. Here is a little history on basketball, The First type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago. The Aztec, and Mayan cultures also had a game similar to basketball, only instead of a rubber ball they used the decapitated skulls of their conquered foes.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Everyone knows the game of basketball by now, therefore not many people know how it got started. Basketball was first discovered in Springfield, Massachusetts by a guy named Dr. James Naismith in 1891. Dr. Naismith was told by Dr. Luther Gulick, who was in charge of the Physical Education at the School of Christian Workers, to create a new game. Dr. Naismith struggled to come up with something. His first idea was to bring soccer and lacrosse inside, however that was too physical. He finally thought of an old childhood game he used to play called duck-on-the-rock.... [tags: Basketball, Rules of basketball, Wilt Chamberlain]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- High school basketball is not only a mental sport, but, also, a communication game. You must be able to communicate very well to play in Morgantown, West Virginia, especially at University High School. To make the team, you have to be basketball knowledgeable, talented, physically fit, and vocal. After four years of playing varsity basketball, the vocal part of the sport has helped me out in the long run. There are five positions in basketball: point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center, but, the most important position is the point guard.... [tags: Sports Basketball]
1434 words (4.1 pages)