Archaeological and genetic evidence shows that domestication began as late as 15,000 years ago, and as early as nearly 32,000 years ago. The original species domesticated at the time, was the gray wolf, or Canis lupus. Dog domestication began for a myriad of reasons, protection, food, fur, and to act as a beast of burden. Even today, domestication of dogs continues in numerous ways in order to create a 'better' companion. Originally, some authors wrote that dogs were descended from a species of wild dog, now extinct, that was distinct from wolves; this has since been disproved.
The earliest carnivorous fossils, that can be linked to some variation of wolf or fox, are the Miacids that lived during the Eocene period, approximately 38 to 56 million years ago. These miacids, evolved into to separate branches, a cat-like and a dog-like branch. Canis priscolatrans' were the first true wolves to roam North America, which evolved twice more; after one final evolution, the gray wolf was born. The exact subspecies of wolf that was domesticated has yet to be discovered, but the best carn...
... middle of paper ...
...tive answer; not a single theory provides an encapsulating answer. There is always some part of the theory that can not be answered. Science Mag says, “The geographic and temporal origins of the domestic dog remain controversial.”
Viegas, Jennifer. "World's first dog lived 31,700 ago, ate big." Science on NBCNEWS.com. NBCNEWS.com, 17 Octob 2008. Web. 24 Nov 2013.
Scott, John, and John Fuller. Dog Behavior: The Genetic Basis. 2, illustrated. University of Chicago Press, 1974. Print.
"Origin of the Domestic Dog." Wikipedia. Wikipedia. Web. 24 Nov 2013.
"The Fox Farm Experiment." ABC TV Science. ABC. Web. 24 Nov 2013.
"Complete Mitochondrial Genomes of Ancient Canids Suggest a European Origin of Domestic Dogs."Science. AAAS, 3 Octob 2013. Web. 24 Nov 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Title: Origin of Dog Domestication: How Dogs Evolved to Become Man’s Best Friend Background and rationale: Dogs as a man’s best friend has been a prevalent view point among modern day humans, and some even accept it as fact. However, the genetics behind what makes dogs so compatible with mankind, and the history of domestication are not well known to most. The time of divergence, and geographic origin of dog domestication has been greatly debated, though many firmly believe they are of Asian origin (research article).... [tags: genetics, tameness, selection]
926 words (2.6 pages)
- Domestic dog has the distinction of being the only known animal to be domesticated by humans prior to the advent of agriculture. In this case dogs are not only man’s best friend in the animal kingdom, but also the oldest of all animals that were domesticated. Though the precise origin of dogs was a mystery in Darwin he drew on them as an example of artificial selection that would be familiar to his readers. Tens of thousands years ago, before the internet and before the Industrial Revolution early humans formed an unlikely partnership with another animal the grey wolf.... [tags: Dog, Gray Wolf, Canidae, Selective breeding]
1512 words (4.3 pages)
- In 1859, a time when literal interpretation of the Bible was common practice, a book that could potentially debase society’s understanding of what was fact was published and it summarized a theory that humans have slowly evolved from a primitive form, commonly called the Theory of Evolution.(Kennedy Pg.572) The book titled On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life was written by an English naturalist and geologist, Charles Darwin, and it overcame the scientific rejection that earlier similar theories had faced.... [tags: Theory of Evolution, Charles Darwin]
1238 words (3.5 pages)
- The Origin of The Beatles The origin of the phenomenon that became the Beatles can be traced to 1957 when Paul McCartney (b. 18 June 1942, Liverpool, England) successfully auditioned at a church fête in Woolton, Liverpool, for the guitarist's position in the Quarrymen, a skiffle group led by John Lennon (b. 9 October 1940, Liverpool, England, d. 8 December 1980, New York, USA). Within a year, two more musicians had been brought in, the 15-year-old guitarist George Harrison (b. 25 February 1943, Liverpool, England) and an art school friend of Lennon's, Stuart Sutcliffe (b.... [tags: Essay on The Beatles]
3002 words (8.6 pages)
- Surely, everyone is fond of the idea of friendship. In fact, to most people living on this earth believe that friends are the most important part of their lives. There have been lots of sayings, quotes, movies and music about the theme, friendship; and this also impacted many people in the way they see the idea of having friends and that it is worthwhile to have someone to rely on. The importance of friendship cannot just be forgotten like a snap of one’s fingers. It has stuck on to the minds of people through movies, such as ‘Harry Potter’ and TV series, like ‘Friends’.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- I remember an old saying my mother used to tell me, “Never say never”. Is this true. I would have never expected this to be true till something happened to me that changed my life till this very day. Growing up I was oddly very cold hearted. I guess I was never the gurly girl always crying after a finger nail broke or the kind of person that wore her heart on her sleeve. I would always keep things to myself and let it be the day someone saw me cry. Most people just thought I wasn’t human. Crying wasn’t something I was used to but I didn’t know one instance would make me shed oceans.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
1638 words (4.7 pages)
- Friendships are one of the most important things you can get out of life. It’s something that everyone has to have because without it we would all go insane. Just think if no one talked to each other and we never made friends, this world would be a ticking time bomb. Studies say human need friendships and love to survive. So friendship is a big part of your life. There is no real definition of friendship, because there’s no one way you can define it. Friendships can mean many different things, depending on the person.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- 1. A hoaxA hoax: n. 1. Practical joke 2. Deceptive trick 3. Play trick upon 4. Decieveexample: Piltdown ManFor forty years they were considered one of the archaeological finds of the century: A fragment of jaw and a part of a skull that could prove man evolved from the apes. They were the bones of Eoanthropus dawsoni found near Piltdown Common in Sussex. The bones of the "Missing Link." Not since 1953 the name "Piltdown" hasn't been associated with great scientific discovery, but great scientific fraud.... [tags: essays research papers]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- She doesn’t know this, but she changed my life. She was there for me when it seemed like no one else was. When most of my friends were dissolving around me and I just didn’t feel like I could do anything right, she was there, and she made everything seem okay. It didn’t matter that I was inevitably going to graduate with a GPA a tenth of a point lower than I wanted, or that my director told me that he was disappointed in me because I just didn’t seem focused lately, or that my other friends just weren’t talking to me anymore.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
675 words (1.9 pages)
- Nick was the kind of guy who always told you what you needed to hear even if it wasn’t always exactly what you wanted to hear. He was not only my youth pastor, but also one of my best friends. He was the guy that if he said something, you could always count on it to be true. If he said that he was going to do something, he would do it. When I was fourteen years old, I was always going around and doing a lot of things that I knew that I should not have been doing. One day, my friend Devon invited me to church and I didn’t want to come at first but then I decided that I would go anyways.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
577 words (1.6 pages)