The game of basketball was created by a gentlemen name of Dr. James Naimsmith on 1861. He was born on Ontario, Canada. He brings the game up when he was working as a teacher on the Young Men Christian Association Training School. Naimsmith created the game to keep the kids in good condition, and wanted to find an activity that could be played indoors on the winter months. Basketball is a popular sport, between two teams. Each of them has 5 players and competes against each other for the highest scores.
The game involved elements of football, soccer, and hockey the first game was actually played with a soccer ball. The goals were made of wooden peach baskets placed on the wall. Teams consisted of nine players but by 1897-1898 teams had then consist of five players. The game spread thru the nation, Canada and even certain parts of the world. It became popular even outdoors with servicemen playing it in other countries during War World II. Originally, the game was played with peach baskets or 18” square boxes hung from the balconies of the runni...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world and the second most popular in the United States and unlike other popular American sports it’s the only one that originated in the U.S(The basketball man, 2006).The game of basketball has evolved tremendously since its creation in 1891 by James Naismith. Naismith was a physical education teacher at the School for Christian Workers, now Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was approached by the head of the department one day in early December to invent a game that will keep the athletes busy and entertained during the winter months.... [tags: Sports, History]
3010 words (8.6 pages)
- ... In one poll in 2014, professional football rated as the most popular sport in USA followed by professional baseball and college football. Professional football ranked first in the poll since 1985. Professional league of american football is National Football League(NFL). The Super Bowl, which is the championship of the NFL, is one of the biggest game in club sports in the world. It is played between two teams, the champions of the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC), Its winner is awarded the Vince Lombardi Trophy.... [tags: football, baseball, basketball]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- There are 5 seconds left on the clock in the last quarter, the coach calls a time out. Down by 2, the team has a chance to win the game. The whistle blows and the clock winds down, 5...The ball is passed in…4…the point guard dribbles around the key…3…the ball is passed to the shooting guard…2…the shooting guard passes it back to the point guard…1…the point guard shoots from behind the 3-point line…0. Countless fans across the globe may get thrills while watching an intense minor or professional basketball game, although, few actually know where or how this widely popular sport was created.... [tags: nba, basketball players, james naismith]
1397 words (4 pages)
- Basketball is a sport people love all over the world and has changed throughout history. College basketball in the 1930s gave younger athletes a new focus during the Great Depression. Professional basketball was an important distraction for people at the time as well.There were some top basketball teams that faced many issues with all the issues in the 1930s. Basketball was growing during the 1930s, serving as a distraction from the Great Depression at both the professional and collegiate level.... [tags: Sport History, College Basketball ]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Since the beginning of time, people have wondered about why we are here, how we got here, and where we came from. Although many of these questions have not been answered, the question of where the universe we see today came from has been answered, or at least answered as well as possible with the technology available. Currently the leading theory for the origin of the universe is the Big Bang theory. Although some scientists still dispute this model for the development of the universe, the vast majority of scientists accept it as truth.... [tags: Origin of the Universe]
2982 words (8.5 pages)
- Today’s society aims to keep kids off the streets and to get them into good environments. This goal is easily achievable with a 75 inch, symmetrical, orange globe—a basketball. The Federation of International Basketball Associations, or FIBA, states that over 450 million people in the world, from professionals to amateurs, play the game of basketball. The popularity of basketball is skyrocketing in the 605 with the help of two prosperous colleges in the city: The University of Sioux Falls and Augustana University.... [tags: Basketball, International Basketball Federation]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- With time running out and the game on the line there is only one thing to do, shoot the ball; in basketball there has been many instances of fundamentals and athleticism in which history has been made in the sport itself. Basketball as a sport has gone through many obstacles to actually becoming a serious competitor to baseball, which was bigger than most sports in its era. Basketball has gained recognition worldwide because of its fast tempo game and how it is played. To understand the game of basketball and the journey of becoming what it is today, the history is extremely important.... [tags: Basketball, James Naismith, College basketball]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Why is basketball the most difficult sport allow me to explain. First and foremost it is the most universal sport statistically and consist of 5 difficult task such as passing,rebounding,shooting,dribbling and defense.Along with other factors such as stamina,clutch,tenasity,power and speed. The purpose of rebounding is to successfully gain possession of the basketball after a missed shot or free throw, as it rebounds from the hoop or backboard. This is a important role in the game, as most possessions end when a team misses a shot or turnover.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Over the years since basketball was invented, its popularity has gotten very big. The game is played all over the world and has made a lot of people rich through its many professional leagues. The National Basketball Association is, by far, the most popular league in the world, but a lot of people like to watch college, high school, and recreational basketball as much. The game of basketball is one of the most popular and exciting games to watch or play on any skill level. In December of 1891, Dr.... [tags: essays research papers]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)