The Oriental institute Museum is part of the university of chicago, a research facility Opposed to a teaching facility such as Wright college, the university is located in one of the most upcoming areas, also given one of many best chicago neighborhood development awards. This would explain why Hyde Park was a back drop for the presidential election bringing forth one of the most loved and revered presidents, President Barack Obama. Prior to my mandatory trip to this side of chicago I was unaware of such a neighborhood existing on the south side. I've always stayed away from that side of the city due to a cultural bias, uninformed decision influenced throughout the knowledge attained from mass media. ( i.e. the news) Thankfully due to this mandatory visit to the museum I am now aware of a neighborhood I can safely travel to and utilize for its wealth of historical museums and information.
The Oriental Institute featured an exhibit focused on the development of ancient Middle East Pioneers to the Past: American Archaeologists in the Middle East 1919–20 January 12 - August 29, 2010. And this was the exhibit I found most intriguing and most i...
... middle of paper ...
...ious environment. It is typical in Chicago for neighborhoods to be referred to by there Church or the cultural environment of the primary language. This is very well linked to the hierarchy of the cities as such in Mesopotamia, and the delegated jobs and status of its people. This is evident in the neighborhood surrounding the museum, as there is diversity on the streets leading through the area. It is apparent that when you arrive to Hyde Park, the affluence is increased, possibly due to the education of the people in the area and direct access to a fabulous university. I am sure as time goes by, I will have much more information after visiting this area, as to where the societal break may have derived from, or not. I am looking forward to the experience of finding out more and why. Which I truly believe this project was all about. Expanding our where and why.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mauricio began his angry banter disguised with laughter and reproached, "They go through immigration to find the loves of their lives as if they were picking up Christmas trees out of a Supermarket parking lot, and I am getting whipped for having the thought of finding a one night stand at the Mandarin Oriental." Timely, Stella returned with desserts in hand. Then she left again only to return with the serving plates. When she finally sat down she asked, "What did I miss?" Luna volunteered eagerly to give the recap.... [tags: Love, Need, Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong]
739 words (2.1 pages)
- Art and wine should go together like buffalo chicken wings and beer. Where’s the wine when you need it. Although I’m on a restricted diet, I’ve enjoyed the scenery of various art collections from my computer device. It was a great pleasure scrolling, fantasizing, and gawking art painting and sculptures online. I’ve had the pleasure to browse through the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. and the Art Institvte Chicago. I noticed my opinion was quite judgmental on more than a few pieces. I found myself confused with questions such as “how is this art”.... [tags: Leonardo da Vinci, Florence, Museum]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is a luxury hotel line which owns and manages hotels and residences (linkedin.com, n.d.). They currently have 45 hotels and 15 residences and are steadily continuing to grow (Mandarinoriental.com, n.d.). Excellent quality and service are absolutely essential; Mandarin Oriental’s states, “Our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests. We are committed to making a difference every day; continually getting better to keep us the best” (Mandarinoriental.com, n.d.).... [tags: Hotel, Hotel chains, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group]
1242 words (3.5 pages)
- The Natural History Museum is extraordinary place to explore and learn. It’s fun and breathtaking. The museum served as an agricultural fairground from 1872 until 1910. The original structure of the building from the 1913 and today’s structure are combined with a blend of many styles. Like a Spanish Renaissance ornamentation in the terracotta trimmings. There is a Romanesque style in the arched windows and the brick walls. The Beaux-Arts tradition is a T-shape floor plan. The building measures 75 feet in diameter with three wings.... [tags: Museum]
2048 words (5.9 pages)
- Angjelina Hamza Albanological Institute Department of Ethnology CULTURAL VALUES AND PRISTINA Ethnological Museum Summarize: Through this paper will address the Ethnological Museum and its cultural values. Except this it will treat the history of this museum, the cultural activities that are organized at the museum starting from different exhibitions realized here as well as other cultural activities. Keywords: museum, ethnography, culture, material and spiritual. ENTRY ESTABLISHMENT of cultural institutions in Kosovo started after World War II, namely in 1945.... [tags: Culture, Anthropology, Museum, Pristina]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- Hamza Angjelina Albanological Institute Department of Ethnology CULTURAL VALUES AND PRISTINA Ethnological Museum Summarize: Through this paper will address the Ethnological Museum and its cultural values. He will treat the history of this house museum, then all the cultural activities that are organized at the museum starting from different exhibitions realized here as well as other cultural activities. Keywords: museum, ethnography, culture, material and spiritual. Men -ESTABLISHMENT cultural institutions in Kosovo started after World War II, namely in 1945.... [tags: Culture, Anthropology, Museum, Pristina]
1459 words (4.2 pages)
- What is the purpose of this museum. The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson, Kansas houses the second largest collection of U.S. space memorabilia in the country, second only to the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. The Cosmosphere is also home to the largest collection of Russian space memorabilia outside of Moscow. The Cosmosphere is also one of three museums in the world that has spacecrafts from all three early manned U.S. space programs. The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center grew from humble beginnings.... [tags: Space Memorabilia, Museum History]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- The Collection exhibits that marks the arrival of a new millennium at the Whitney Museum of American Art, primarily includes pieces of installation art and contemporary photographs. The Whitney Museum of American Art, also recognized as the fortress of American Art, offers the public the opportunity to witness the history of art in America for the last one hundred years. The museum’s collection is a reflection of their commitment to exhibit the Whitney's dedication to art in modern-day America.... [tags: American Art, Museum History]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- It contains Freud's remarkable collection of antiquities: Egyptian; Greek; Roman and Oriental. Almost two thousand items fill cabinets and are ranged on every surface. There are rows of ancient figures on the desk where Freud wrote until the early hours of the morning. The walls are lined with shelves containing Freud's large library of reference books. The house is also filled with memories of his daughter, Anna, who lived there for 44 years and continued to develop her pioneering psychoanalytic work, especially with children.... [tags: Psychiatry, Museum, Informative]
323 words (0.9 pages)
- Oriental Art Oriental Art is very unique and interesting. It is based on life all around them, nature. In Hsuan-ho hua pu classifies paintings in ten groups: „h Taoist and Buddhist (tao shih) „h Human affairs (jen wu) „h Places and other buildings (kung shih) „h Foreign tribes (fan tsu) „h Dragons and fishes (lung yu) „h Landscapes (shan shui) „h Animals (chu shou) „h Flowers and birds (hua niao) „h Ink Bamboos (mo chu) „h Vegetables and fruits (su kuo) This religious art, including portrayals of gods, stands at the head of the list and is followed by a group of paintings including portraits of legendary heroes.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
503 words (1.4 pages)