This paper will discuss the essential use of organizational behavior within assisting in field of software engineering. Software engineers and their mangers view work performance and ways in which productivity can be increased in many different ways, as well as how stress well-being is an important within the work place environment. The first theory being discussed is expectancy, which will show that people believe greater efforts leads to better performance and behavior within the work place. This theory also shows that people expect certain outcomes to be true, when the job is performed is to the best of their ability’s. In whole this focus is mainly on individual’s perception of the performance process. The next theory being expanded is equity and inequity at work, which is directly related to expectancy theory with worker feeling there needs to be equivalent outcome to the work they provided. When this is not true there needs to be suggests made to fix this inequity, such as rationalize the inequity, alter the persons inputs and outputs, alter the comparison of others inputs and outputs, and or leave the organizational situation. (MIS Quarterly © 1992 Management Information Systems Research Center, University of Minnesota) The second topic being discussed is stress and well-being in the work place. The amount of stress put on worker can directly affect an employees over all physical and mental health. As well as decrease overall performance, behavioral problems and burnout. There are many ways to prevent such things from happening using a preventative stress management, uses a combined responsibility from with employees and managers to encouraging health and avoiding distress. This method uses different preventi...
... middle of paper ...
...arded individuals” (Adams, 1965: Locke, 1967: Pritchard et al., 1972)” As noted above it is proven that inequity isn’t good for job satisfaction, within software engineering it is important to have each team member within focus of a projects goal. When even one person is lacking effort the whole team could faulted and the project could be hopeless. Although it might not be easy for managers to provide a working environment were everyone on the team feels like they are equal, the need for each person to get the same reward as somebody performing the same particular job is essential. Managers and employees can resolve the problem of inequity in many different ways.
BMJ: British Medical Journal © 2010 BMJ
MIS Quarterly © 1992 Management Information Systems Research Center, University of Minnesota
Adams, 1965: Locke, 1967: Pritchard et al., 1972
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest and most diverse engineering field in existence. It has a long history, as it first came about during the Roman Empire. There were inventions prior to this that could be considered major feats in the mechanical engineering field also, but mechanical engineering didn’t always have the name it has today. The fact of the matter is that mechanical engineering has always been in existence and it always will be. Mechanical engineering has been around ever since man started making tools; although, the first mechanical engineering degree was not awarded until 1878.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- I’ve always wanted to go into the engineering field in some way shape or form I’ve always been told to be an nurse or doctor when I get older, but growing up really showed me what I’m good at and what my talents are and so it seems that engineering might the thing that puts all my talents together. I love math and really enjoy working with others and creating relationships as well as solving different problems that come my way. I really love to solve different types of problems especially when I was a kid or even now, because I really like the feeling of getting stumped on something only to learn and find the answer to the problem a little while later, it gave me a feeling of accomplishment... [tags: Engineering, Electrical engineering]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
Software Engineering : Critical Thinking And Mathematical Skills From The General Engineering Field Of Study
- When I mention Software Engineering, many people have the tendency to think that I 'm just another organism that turns caffeine and pizza into software. Well, contrary to popular belief, that 's clearly not what I do. As a first year Software Engineering student, I have learnt that this field of study does not only revolve around programming languages which involve hundreds of lines of codes, but also educates us on software reusability and maintainability, and eliciting customers ' requirements to design softwares according to their needs.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer, Computer science]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- Did your phone just ring. Or was that your computer notifying you of a new email. Since the Digital Revolution and the addition of digital electronics like the personal computer, software-based technology has always been an essential aspect of our lives. Something that would have taken up an entire classroom can now fit within the grasp of your hands thanks to the efforts of various computer scientists and engineers, making our lives much easier. My passion for both software and hardware behind it stems from having been fortunate enough to be introduced to it at a young age.... [tags: Computer, Software engineering, Computation]
1066 words (3 pages)
- A civil engineer works on public projects. They are usually employed by municipalities, engineering, construction, or architectural firms, or the federal government. They design, organize, and lead civil engineering assignments including but not limited to activities such as airports, bridges, dams, pipelines, railroads, and roads. Civil engineers are responsible for calculating costs of a project as well as analyzing data, applying knowledge of engineering techniques, and using advanced mathematics.... [tags: engineering, career,]
2161 words (6.2 pages)
- The career I selected to pursue when I get out of college is a software engineering position. I am choosing this career because of the great interest I have in this field. Also, this field of work is always changing so you cannot succeed without adapting to new information. This means that my work environment will not always be same, which I enjoy. I have researched other careers in the field of work, but software engineering is the one that interests me the most. A typical workday as a software engineer has you reviewing programs and code for existing software and finding ways to make it more efficient to save time on operating cost (Software Engineer Job Description, n.d.).... [tags: Computer, Software engineering, Computer science]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Women are often overlooked when it comes to many career fields. Women are often seen as empathetic instead of intelligent; thus, females that decide to go into fields such as engineering are not taken seriously. Of all students that go into an engineering field, a small percentage are females. This small percentage of females become even smaller before graduation; this is due to many factors. Females tend to be less confident in their skills; along with this, there is often a strong bias in the workplace.... [tags: Gender, Woman, Female, Engineering]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- My research paper is on the field of Industrial Engineering. I plan on pursuing this field, because I want to be able to find a way that will help eliminate wastefulness throughout the process of production. In this field, Industrial engineer 's find ways to integrate workers with information, machines, materials, and energy to create and provide products and services, without wasting any of the resources. Their duties are to review schedules, engineering specification, flows of process, and information to understand methods.... [tags: General Motors, Automotive industry, Engineering]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- 1.1 Overview Software has become critical to advancement in almost all areas of human endeavor. The art of programming only is no longer sufficient to construct large programs. There are serious problems in the cost, timeliness, maintenance and quality of many software products. Software Engineering has the objective of solving these problems by producing good quality, maintainable software, on time, within budget. To achieve this objective, we have to focus in a disciplined manner on both the quality of the product and on the process used to develop the product.... [tags: Software engineering]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- Everything you see, everything you touch, every direction you turn, you are surrounded by the beautiful world of Engineering. The world functions effectively because of engineering. The beautiful aspect being the ability to create, utilize resources, and bring something into existence that will change or construct something beneficial to humanity. There is not a more exciting field to be involved in, especially now, as the on demand world continues to thrive and advance into new levels. Electrical Engineering (EE) is the field that interests me most though I am open to other fields of Engineering if I find I am drawn to something specific as school progresses.... [tags: Engineering, Electrical engineering]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Scars Left from the War in Afghanistan
- The Violence Against Muslims Explained in the Article Modern-Day Witch Hunts by Jamie Dailey
- Errors Made by the Confederates During the Civil War
- Mainstream Youth Subcultures
- Can Video Games Such as Wii Boxing Improve Wrist Movements?
- The 1960’s: A Decade of Change