Oprah has been known as “one of America’s top 50 most generous philanthropist” as she continues to contribute ten percent of her income ($385 million in 2008) to her favorite charities, related to education, youths, and literature. She had donated millions to Tennessee State University which is her alma mater as part of the scholarship funds, The United Negro Fund, to encourage young black Americans to pursue their dreams, and the Harold Washington Library, which is a program for economically disadvantaged Chicago-area young girls.
In 2007, Oprah organized the Oprah Winfrey Foundation which supports the education and empowerment of women, children, and families in the United States and around the world. She then opened the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls near Johannesburg in South Africa, helping young African American girls get an ed...
... middle of paper ...
...ak through the cultural barriers, especially in the highly diversified American society. Her humanitarian efforts remains a huge lesson for all of us to learn from. Oprah who is now aged 60 will continue to shape the lives of people and the image of philanthropy in this 21st century.
Feinstein, Stephen. Oprah Winfrey. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Publishers, 2008. Print.
Lofton, Kathryn, and Brenda R. Weber. "The Legacies of Oprah Winfrey: Celebrity, Activism and Reform in the Twenty-first Century." Celebrity Studies 3.1 (2012): 104-105. Print.
Wensink, Joseph. Literary Philanthropy: The Pulitzer Prize, Oprah's Book Club, and Contemporary U.S. Fiction. New York: Millersmith Publishers, 2012. Print.
Winfrey, Oprah, and Bill Adler. The Uncommon Wisdom of Oprah Winfrey: A Portrait in her Own Words. New York: Carol Pub. Group, 1997. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. One person that is known for their authentic leadership is Oprah Winfrey. She is a well-known talk show host, film and television actress, philanthropist, and television producer (Biography.com Editors, 2016). Her talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, was seen nationally and internationally and has opened many doors for her in the business and financial world. In the twentieth century, Oprah was consistently the only African American billionaire for three years. Through her charitable network, she has raised over $51,000,000 for education and disaster relief efforts.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, Barack Obama]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- Pop culture is appreciating more than what is at the cinemas or what singers are the most popular. It is reflective of the political atmosphere and social opinions of the nation. Which affect various people in different ways. Oprah was just a small Chicago women with a corrupted childhood that in 1984 turned to host a WLS-TV 's morning talk show AM, Chicago. Which became the number one local talk show, then in less than a year turned into the famous hour long show "The Oprah Winfrey Show". Oprah Gail Winfrey is one of the countless people set out in the world of pop culture.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey has changed the lives of so many people. She used her position as the most influential women in media to inspire, educate, and empower people of all walks of life all over the world. “Everyone of us gets through the tough times because somebody is there standing in the gap to close it for us.” (Winfrey) She did many amazing things throughout her entertainment and media career, including changing the lives of people forever. Oprah Winfrey is a charitable person while still being a major influence in the entertainment industry.... [tags: journalism, philanthropy, influential]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- Hero What makes a hero. one does not need to have superhuman powers, wear a cape and slay dragons to become a hero. A true hero is someone who is not measured by the size of his strength, a true hero is measured by the strength of his or her heart. Aside from being the Queen of American media, Oprah Gail Winfrey an empathetic and philanthropist individual impacted society by giving those in poverty hope for a better future and giving to those in need throughout her career. Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- The Influential Power of Oprah Winfrey. “Think like a queen, a queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Oprah Winfrey let the world know that when one fails at something, he/she can always keep trying till he/she gets it right. Being a victim to some negative situations in life did not stop her from being who she is today. Oprah has an outstanding personality and she serves as a role model to so many people. Even though Oprah Winfrey publicly criticizes overweight women including herself, she has a positive influence on the society because she is a great leader, she has impacted the society through the media, television and movies and her philanthropic ef... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an African American woman who is known as a U.S. media celebrity. She has done so much to contribute to society as we know it and her legacy will forever live on. Mrs. Winfrey is well known and she uses her platform for positivity and love, which is a huge reason for her success. She is an intelligent leader who worked hard for the spot she has in life and strives to encourage others to be successful also. Mrs. Winfrey has written books, acted and produced films, hosted an infamous television show, and given to charities.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
2675 words (7.6 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was January 29, 1954. She spent the beginning of her childhood on her Grandmother 's farm in Kosciusko, Mississippi because her mom was looking for work in the north. Her grandmother taught her how to read it as an infant. By the age of three she was reciting poems and the Bible at her grandmother 's church. When she was six she had to move to Milwaukee to stay with her mother. Her mother was a housemaid and was always absent from the home. While Oprah was at home alone, she was abused and molested by her male relatives and other male friends of her relatives.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- This is a Jeep Super Bowl commercial from 2013 featuring Oprah Winfrey as the narrator. We are in times of undeclared war and we miss our troops and want them to come back and Oprah is basically telling them that they aren’t forgotten. It shows the families of troops being home missing someone and showing the hole the troop has left since their departure. It is a battle the families fight as they miss their soldier while they are out fighting the other half of the battle. When the troops return to their families they fill that hole again and our nation is reunited.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Ethical Role Model Essay My role model is a woman who may need no introduction to many, particularly those who follow media personalities. Oprah Gail Winfrey is my hero and ultimate role model, who personifies how every human being should be like, irrespective of how challenging the prevailing circumstances may be. Indeed, she is perhaps the richest African American woman today, the only female billionaire, the greatest philanthropist who is black and the black billionaire in North America today.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey's public speaking career began with reciting verses in church at the age of three. Today, at the age of 51, she is America's most popular talk show host, owns a popular magazine and cable TV channel, received an Academy Award nomination, and is ranked by Forbes magazine as the ninth most powerful woman in the world. Her path in life, that led from a broken home and abused childhood to becoming the first African-American woman billionaire, is a story of unrelenting determination mixed with a true caring for people.... [tags: Biography Oprah]
1669 words (4.8 pages)