Despite a difficult childhood, a traumatic teenhood, and an overall unfortunate life as a minority, Oprah Winfrey became and is currently the richest black woman in the United States with a story that has inspired the lives of millions. Oprah Winfrey’s story is truly the meaning of the phrase, “It doesn't matter where you are coming from, all that matters is where you are going.” The adversities Oprah faced made her into the generous, strong woman she is today that chooses to put her currencies towards worthy causes. Regardless of all the hardship Oprah faced in her early years of life, she still managed to pave her way to a life of fame and fortune.
Winfrey’s early life was mentally, physically, and financially unstable. Oprah Gail Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954, in Kosciusko, Mississippi. Her mother, Vernita Lee, was 18 at the time while her father, Vernon Winfrey, was 20 (“Oprah Winfrey”). Vernita moved once Oprah was born to search for employment to be financially stable enough to provide for her and her daughter. This resulted in Oprah being raised by her grandmother Hattie Mae Lee on a farm in Mississippi (“Fry, Elizabeth”).
Oprah lived with Hattie Mae for six years, learning to read and write. She was also involved with giving bible recitations in her grandmother's church ("Winfrey, Oprah (Gail)."). At six years old, Winfrey then moved to live with her mother in Milwaukee. From the time she was nine she was sexually abused by male family members and acquaintances; which had a major emotional impact on her life ("Oprah Winfrey”). By the age of thirteen, she [Oprah] was rebellious and ran away from home. She would skip school, date boys, and steal money from her mother (“Fry Elizabeth”). This...
... middle of paper ...
.... Winfrey is a well known philanthropist who puts her fortune to several worthy causes (“Manohar, Uttara”). Oprah donates to several foundations such as those that help end poverty and neglect for children, disaster relief foundation's, healthcare foundation's, human rights foundations, and animal rights and rescue foundations (“Oprah: Charity Work & Causes.”).
Regardless of all the hardship Oprah faced in her early years of life, she still managed to pave her way to a life of fame and fortune. From what was once an ordinary little girl that faced several childhood struggles and difficulties; Oprah Winfrey’s life took a drastic turn and she has made a lasting impact on the lives of millions. Winfrey has brought a large amount of positivity to the world, not only by her charitable ways but also with her gifted personality that allows her to connect with others.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In Oprah Winfrey’s early life her name on her birth certificate was actually spelled like “Orpah,” but many people just kept mispronouncing it and so she stuck with it. Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, with a teen mother. Her mother, Vernita Lee, was a housemaid and her biological father, Vernon Winfrey, was originally a coal miner, and had many positions throughout his life, at the end, he had been in the Armed Forces when she was born. Later on, Mississippi farmer and World War II veteran, Noah Robinson Sr., has claimed, then, to be her biological father.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an inspiration to many all around the world. She did not have a very good home life up until the age of 14. She was abused as a child and did not see her mother very often because she was a housemaid who was gone almost every day all day. Vernon Winfrey, Oprah’s father, was a big service in her life when it came to keeping her in a nonviolent manner. Oprah also had her career going for her when she became Miss Black Tennessee at age 17. When Oprah became Miss Black Tennessee she was offered a radio broadcasting job and a full scholarship to Tennessee.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an outstanding & determined bright woman. Winfrey is a very advocate person. She has encouraged and inspired many people, but when she was growing up it was rough for her, but after her courageous and outstanding work, she is now a billionaire and helps a lot of charities. Early Life Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29th, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi to a unmarried teenage mother. Her mom and dad are Vernita Lee and Vernon Winfrey, her father is a coal miner, turned into a barber, turned into a city councilman who had been in the armed forces when oprah was born.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954. Her home has been at Santa Barbra, California. She lives there with her partner, Stedman Graham. Oprah is a renowned talk show host, actress, American media proprietor, producer and philanthropist. The Oprah Winfrey show, multi-award winning talk show is what this great philanthropist is best known for. This show was the highest ranked show of its kind, being syndicated nationally in the period 1986-2011 (Winfrey 3). She is currently the CEO and owner of Oprah Winfrey Network.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey Essays]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- As talked about in Outliers, there are many factors that go into creating and building someone out of the norm of society. As Gladwell fraises it, ““Superstar lawyers and math whizzes and software entrepreneurs appear at first blush to lie outside ordinary experience. But they don't. They are products of history and community, of opportunity and legacy. Their success is not exceptional or mysterious. It is grounded in a web of advantages and inheritances, some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky - but all critical to making them who they are.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
832 words (2.4 pages)
- Dominique Dempster CSSEM300- Professional Practice Seminar Professor Barbara Littel November 1, 2017 She is a highly respected woman known to millions of people around the world. After overcoming a horrible childhood in Kosciusko Mississippi, she moved to Nashville, Tennessee where she decided to enroll at the University of Tennessee. Shortly after, her career in television began and once she moved to Baltimore, Maryland, she found her true calling. In 1986, she launched her own show and for 25 years she inspired people all over the world.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Oprah Gail Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954, in Kosciusko, Mississippi. As a child, Oprah spent her early childhood with her grandmother, Hattie Mae Lee while Oprah’s mom, Venita moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Venita wanted to become more stable and would eventually come for Oprah. While Oprah lived with her grandmother, Oprah flourished she learned how to read and write at the age of 3. By the time she started kindergarten at the age of 5, Oprah was moved to the first grade. Unfortunately, at the age of 6, Oprah’s grandmother Hattie Mae Lee became very ill.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1540 words (4.4 pages)
- Oprah Gail Winfrey is one of the most famous women alive, and not only for her riches, but in the way that she has contributed back to society. Oprah has made billions and has given away more than half of those billions to different charities throughout the world. Never having children of her own, Oprah dedicates her life to making the lives of others better. Oprah was born on January 29th, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi to her mother Vernita Lee, a single teenager who works as a maid, and her father Vernon Winfrey, a coal miner, barber, and city councilman.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
958 words (2.7 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is a role model to thousands of people out there. She has made people understand the purpose of life and how to live it in a way that you are happy. She wants people to help and care for unprivileged people. Oprah thinks that education is a right and not a privilege. She wants everybody to have a good education no matter who they are. Oprah has an amazing story. She went through so many failures in her life but yet still carried on. She had such a tough childhood that actually mad her stronger as a person, that shows us today that just because you had rough parts in life where you didn’t want to carry on you can still get through it and get to where you want to be.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- Teriana Moore Essay#1 EH 101- Mr. Goldman August 23, 2017 Profile on Oprah Winfrey My mother always told me to look up to someone who has leadership characteristics and exemplifies a strong God- fearing man or woman. I grew up watching her show while getting my hair done and I always admired her thoughtfulness and selflessness. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Is one of her quotes that resonated with me; her name is recognizable to people of all races and ages: Oprah Winfrey; and she has been my role model in several of ways.... [tags: African American, Oprah Winfrey, Talk show]
810 words (2.3 pages)