The event I attended was the Opiate Task Force Meeting and was located at the Cuyahoga Public Health Department in Parma, Ohio on April 26, 2016. I chose this event to help tie in the subject of opiate addiction in Cuyahoga County and the high drug use from East Cleveland in my Windshield survey. I wanted to hear what was happening on the other end, the “helping” portion for the addicts.
The mission of the Opiate Task Force is “To serve the residents of Cuyahoga County by actively working to raise public awareness, promote community action, and provide education related to the dangers and devastating effects of drug abuse.” (Cuyahoga County Opiate Task Force, n.d.). The major vision of the future of Cuyahoga County is to have a healthier community and to stop accidental overdoses by opiate abuse. Partnerships throughout the County are focusing on prevention, treatment, and recovery ( Cuyahoga County Opiate Task Force, n.d).
This event connects to my Windshield survey because my East Cleveland population is in the location of Cuyahoga County. I interviewed my cousin, a recovering heroin addict, and the director of the Lia House, a halfway house for opiate addicted men (Keep It Simple Sobriety Foundation, 2016). I wanted to help tie it all together with the County’s view and resources on how we are going to fix this epidemic, and what has already been done.
The purpose of this meeting was to hear two key speakers Lee Hoffer PhD., MPE and Dr. Tom Gilson speak about the Predictive Modeling for Heroin Use in Cuyahoga County and the current update on Fentanyl/Heroin overdoses. After we hear them speak, the key speaker Vince Caraffi, spoke about his meeting with the Governor, the CNN story that is going to air in 5 months on the Coun...
... middle of paper ...
Britton, T. (2016). Syringe exchange programs in Ohio. Retrieved from: http://www.communitysolutions.com/assets/docs/Major_Reports/Other_Publications/syringe%20exchange%20programs%20in%20ohio_updated03072016.pdf
Cuyahoga County Opiate Task Force. (n.d). Cuyahoga County Opiate Task Force. Retrieved from: http://opiatecollaborative.cuyahogacounty.us/
Keep It Simple Sobriety Foundation. (2016). Cleveland’s therapeutic community for men. Retrieved from: http://kissfoundation.com/
Rxdrugdropbox.org. (2016). Welcome to the rxdrugdropbox.org. Retrieved from: http://rxdrugdropbox.org/
White, C., Ready, J., & Katz, C. M. (2016). Examining how prescription drugs are illegally obtained: Social and ecological predictors. Journal of Drug Issues,46(1), 4-23. doi:http://dx.doi.org.library.capella.edu/10.1177/0022042615608502 --- Read this and add it into the article
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There is no question that opiate abuse – both legal and illegal is on the rise in all demographics. Congress introduced several laws last year and a rash of laws this year in response to the public awareness of the epidemic. The main thrust of most of the bills is promoting community education, substance monitoring systems, and criminal reform. Two laws and a few provisions in others are aimed at developing “best practices,” practitioner education, including making DEA registration renewal contingent upon mandatory courses.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Opioid, Heroin]
1912 words (5.5 pages)
- The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is an open international community with no formal membership, it is composed for network designers, operators, vendors, and researchers. The main goal is study, analyze, and develop the evolution of the Internet architecture as well as the smooth operation of the Internet. It is open to any interested individual. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Mission Statement is documented in RFC 3935 which essentially is to make the Internet work better. The IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) is responsible for the analysis and development of the different protocols used in IP-based networks.... [tags: OSI model, Ethernet, Logical Link Control]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- The source I read was A Time Bomb Inside of You which involves the testimony of three representatives from social service organizations in 1983. The three representatives that provided testimony against Reagan and his administration for their lack of response to AIDS are Virginia M. Apuzzo (Executive Director of National Gay Task Force), Alan Brownstein (Executive Director of National Hemophilia Foundation), and Mel Rosen (Gay Men’s Health Crisis). AIDS was initially thought to be associated with only gay men but other groups were also affected.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, AIDS, Gay]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- Joint Terrorism Task Force What it is A Joint Terrorism Task Force, or JTTF, is an anti-terrorist program formed by various law enforcement agencies that include: Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Homeland Security, U.S Coast Guard Investigative Service, U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S Customs and Border Protection, the Transportation and Security Administration, U.S Secret Service, Department of State Diplomatic Security Service, state and local law service, and specialized agencies such as the railroad police.... [tags: anti-terrorist programs, law enforcement agencies]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- Our task force, Generation-X, is working to solve the invariant problem, retention, affecting many first-generation students here at the University of Florida by improving upon it through our campus resources. One resource in particular that is not commonly taken advantage of is the Counseling and Wellness Center. The Counseling and Wellness center is the main “provider of counseling, mental health, and psychiatric services for UF students” (https://www.counseling.ufl.edu/cwc/Our-mission.aspx).... [tags: University, Student, Anxiety, College]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- In my second interview I would like to introduce Mike Taylor of the Romulus police department task force division. Mike is 25 years old and has no kids, he has a K9 that is his partner and works with him only a daily basis at work. Mike was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida but moved to Romulus to be with his family that lived in the area. Shortly after arriving in Romulus mike started taking criminal justice classes at Wayne State University, About two years later mike graduated from Wayne state and earned his Associate 's degree in criminal justice.... [tags: Police, Crime, Criminal justice]
806 words (2.3 pages)
- Conventional warfare follows the single battle concept, where two or more well defined forces using weapons that target the opposing force. The contiguous battle-space is well defined with a deep, close and rear area allowing the force commander to array forces that can be visually displayed in a linear graphic. This does not hold true in an unconventional warfare, where the rear area may also be the close and deep fight and forces may target the civilian population either through direct, indirect or propaganda attacks.... [tags: Warfare]
1376 words (3.9 pages)
- The Wright County Public Health Task force gathers and identifies community health problems every four years. Furthermore, the Wright County Public Health Task force gathers and discusses data, trends, and observations and identifies the top ten community priorities within Wright County. Community input was gathered and after discussing data, trends, observations, and experience the top ten priorities within the county (Wright County, 2014). Several consideration are accounted for when collecting data within Wright County such as surveys, ethnicity, social, culture, income, employment, poverty, education and quality health insurance (Wright County, 2014).... [tags: Public health, Epidemiology, Health]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- AML Task Force Group II: CDD Module for RELJJ Bank Jagjeet Bhamra Rosa Gutierrez Erica Means Lizbeth Pineda Jacqueline Takyi-Yeboah Roosevelt University At RELJJ Bank, we are committed to customer satisfaction and ensuring that our customers banking activities are both private and safe for all parties involved. The banking institution community has evolved over the last decades thanks to the introduction of the internet and exposure to the national and international banking markets.... [tags: JPMorgan Chase, Bank, Bernard Madoff, Banking]
3096 words (8.8 pages)
- The Force of Hydropulsion Executive Summary For our project, our client, gave us the task of designing and developing a teaching aid that uses hydrogen to power a mechanical device. This task led us to the construction of a hybrid fuel cell/battery-powered model hovercraft. The hovercraft, which we call “Hovercraftica”, uses a battery to power the lift fan and two hydrogen fuel cells to power the fan that provides thrust. Hovercraftica is a self-contained demonstration unit with every aspect of its propulsion onboard.... [tags: Hydrogen Force Physics Essays Papers]
2743 words (7.8 pages)