“An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function” ("Operating System"). The operating system is the central program on any computer. The operating systems is essential because it runs the other programs and applications. “Operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the disk, and controlling peripheral devices such as disk drives and printers” (Beal).
The three types of operating systems which are presently used are Windows, Linux, and UNIX. I will be studying Windows version 8, Linux version Ubuntu 12.04, and UNIX version OS X Mountain Lion. There is a differences between the three operating systems features and there are benefits for selecting one system over the other.
I choose this topic because I wanted to know the different operating systems. Starting in a new career as an Information System Technician, I believe it is vital that I understand the difference between them. Plus the operating systems are always changing so it’s good to stay informed with what is updating.
This paper’s information was obtained from the Johnson College school library, a blog by Jack Wallen, Websites, and an article titled, "Comparative Study of Windows, Linux Ubuntu, and Unix", that I found very useful.
This paper’s body explains the differences of Windows version 8, Linux version Ubuntu 12.04, and UNIX version OS X Mountain Lion.
“Windows 8 is a ...
... middle of paper ...
...d Unix."). Helper functions are new, plus a dock and menu bar make things easier to access applications. The new Messages app is a massive improvement from iChat. With Messages the user can send free unlimited messages to anyone with an iDevice or another Mac.
“UNIX requires purchased support from Apple. Online peer support, forums and dedicated sites also provide support” ("Comparative Study of Windows, Linux Ubuntu, and Unix."). For UNIX Beginner Level Differences (see fig. 1). UNIX has full access to source codes just like Linux. Users can download and install OS X on a computer as long as it meets the minimum specifications to run. For UNIX Access and licensing (see fig. 2). “UNIX is only compatible with particular hardware. For instance, the basic system requirements include a 64 bit processor or better” ("Comparative Study of Windows, Linux Ubuntu, and Unix").
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Operating systems An operating system is software that completes a device this ranges from a phone, to tablet, to a computer and more. This software is the part of the computer that you know is there but you are not able to touch. It acts as a mediator between the hardware of the device and the user. This is what accepts commands from the user and then lets the hardware know what to do or what the user is requesting. Picture you’re in a foreign country that speaks a different language but you have a friend that 's there with you and they speak that language.... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Introduction Apple Computer, after proliferating the momentum into personal computers (PCs) in 1977, starting with the Apple II, has expanded into various product lines of computer, telephone, television, music, and software industries, as well as its latest offering in wearables, the Apple watch. It not only manufactures but also designs its products. Apple consumers have seen the opening of retail stores in over 65 new locations, including Japan. Apple’s operating system is a large advantage but it has had difficulty encouraging intransigent PC users to try it, thus limiting the opportunity to persuade many of its superiority.... [tags: Apple Inc., Operating system, Mac OS X, Macintosh]
1779 words (5.1 pages)
- Expanded Definition of Operating Systems An operating system (OS) is an essential software that manages a computer. It acts as an interface between the computer and the user such that the computer 's hardware and software communicate effectively so as a computer or mobile device can operate properly. If a computer does not have an operating system, it is useless (Denning & Peter 31). The other programs that facilitate a computer to work more efficiently and effectively are known as application programs.... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Linux]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- Operating Systems A computer is useless without an operating system and without it every program would need the full hardware specification to run correctly and perform tasks. An operating system, also known as OS, is a software on the hard drive that allows the hardware of a computer to communicate and operate with the computer software. The OS is the most important software running on a computer because it handles the memory, processes and all of its software and hardware (Operating Systems).... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Our company, Soap-n-Suds, is planning to upgrade the Windows operating systems that we currently use on all 5,000 desktop computers to a more advanced version. At present, we are using an early version of this Microsoft operating system on all desktop computers used by Soap-n-Suds employees. If possible, our company will also strive to update our desktop computers as well as the Microsoft software that will be put on it. The vice-president of information technology has asked us, the hired analysts, to compare and contrast the latest versions of the Windows operating system, the Mac operating system, and the Linux operating system.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Microsoft Windows]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Windows XP / Linux Operating Systems The Linux system has an interesting history as it was originated by a college student as a hobby. According to the web site linux.org (“What is Linux,”2007) Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by a young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in Finland. Linus had an interest in Minix, a small UNIX system, and decided to develop a system that exceeded the Minix standards”.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, File system]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- 1. Microsoft: Microsoft is still the leader in PC operating systems, along with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Vista being the lead operating systems for approximately 90% of the world’s PCs, Google Android and Apple’s iOS. Although they are the leading PC operating system, they have struggled with many of their efforts, including smartphone hardware and software, mobile computing, cloud-based software apps, and its Internet portal. Although, Microsoft’s offering, Bing, has about 2.5% of the search market (Laudon & Laudon 2014).... [tags: Smartphone, IPhone, Operating system, Apple Inc.]
1470 words (4.2 pages)
- The similarities and the differences between Mac operating system (OS X) and Windows 10 operating system. As the internet is becoming faster and faster, an operating system (OS) is needed to manage the data in computers. An Operating system can be considered to be a set of programed codes that are created to control hardware such as computers. In 1985 Windows was established as an operating system and a year earlier Mac OS was established, and they have dominated the market of the computer programs since that time.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Macintosh, Mac OS X]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- The uniqueness of UNIX The features that made UNIX a hit from the start are: Multitasking capability Multi-user capability Portability UNIX programs Library of application software Security 1. Multitasking Capability Many computers do just one thing at a time, as anyone who uses a PC or laptop can attest. Try logging onto your company's network while opening your browser while opening a word processing program. Chances are the processor will freeze for a few seconds while it sorts out the multiple instructions.... [tags: Technology Operating Systems OS]
1557 words (4.4 pages)