Retailers are using ecommerce to enhance their businesses. Statistics Canada has stated that ecommerce sales in 2005 were $39.2 billion Canadian. (Economist Intelligence Unit, 2006) The retail sector has recognized the considerable gains to be made and is responding by offering products online with the option of having customers pick up their products within their retail stores. It is their hope that once the customer is in the store they will make impulsive purchases and this seems to be working as the article from Economist Intelligence units states that numerous retail studies are showing consumers have spent more with retailers that can offer them the opportunity to visit the store to obtain their product. Using this approach allows retailers the means to enhance their existing businesses with ecommerce services.
Information security continues to be the main reason more customers are not shopping online. A survey of 688 people showed that the problem is two-fold. Some of the survey respondents, 42%, stated that fear for the security of their credit cards was the reason they had not made on-line purchases while another 36% stated that they were concerned about private information being distributed on ...
... middle of paper ...
Chain Store Age. (2006). News. Retail Technolgoy Quarterly , 82 (5), 6A-6A.
Clarke, J. (2009). Resilience under attack: Techniques for continuing online business in the face of security compromise. Journal of Business Continuity & Emergency Planning , 3 (3), 222-226.
Economist Intelligence Unit. (2006, July 06). Ecommerce thrives in Canada. Retrieved March 18, 2011, from www.ebusinessforum.com: http://www.ebusinessforum.com/index.asp?layout=printer_friendly&doc_id=8809
Mangiaracina, R., & Perego, A. (2009). Payment systems in the B2C eCommerce: Are they a barrier for the online customer? Journal of Internet Banking & Commerce , 14 (3), 1-16.
Statistics Canada. (2010, September 27). E-commerce: Shopping on the Internet. Retrieved March 25, 2011, from Statistics Canada: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/100927/dq100927a-eng.htm
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Shopping has always been one of my favorite hobbies. The hardest part is choosing which is better at that moment, online shopping or in-store shopping. I personally love to do both, especially when there are sales, because sometimes online may have a better sale than in store and vice versa. In the real world real shoppers will know that Online and in-store shopping differentiates in various ways. However, depending on the situation they both are sometimes convenient ways to shop.... [tags: Online shopping, Retailing, Shopping]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- The Information revolution is changing our daily lives. With the rapid development of computer and internet, online commerce become quite common and plays an important role in the modern world. The online business has booming development in these few years. US online retail sales raised an average of 11% in the first three months of 2009 (“US Online Sales Up,” 2009). The growth of online sales may due to the growing number of consumers who shop online. In the case of Asia, survey reported 77.6% of Internet users have online shopping experiences in 2003 (as cited in To, Liao & Lin, 2007).... [tags: Online Shopping, internet, economy, ]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Before you will begin your online store in India you should think about the Indian shoppers and their needs.To comprehend the requirements and conduct of the buyer you have to test . While testing you comprehend what exactally the client prerequisites and in like manner you can choose the segment and can set the online market then it will be ideal to make online store in India. As indicated by the need a climatic conditions,habits,trends, you can choose classification of the items and administrations.... [tags: Electronic commerce, Online shopping]
703 words (2 pages)
- Shopping had always been people’s necessity. A few centuries ago, people had to go out on the street or market to purchase goods or food with cash in person as consumers and sellers, but where have all the shoppers gone lately. Because of great improvements in technology, online shopping has arisen. Instead of going to the mall or stores and taking hours to look for what is on the shopping list, online shopping became accessible in the recent generation. In 1979, online shopping was invented by Michael Aldrich who was inspired to connecting a domestic television by telephone line to a real-time transaction that he called teleshopping ("Inventor 's Story.").... [tags: Retailing, Shopping mall, Online shopping]
1680 words (4.8 pages)
- Summary Laya (2015) reported in the news that the potential growth for online shopping in Mexico has caught the attention of Amazon. A relatively high degree of urbanization and an increasing number of millennials present Amazon with lucrative opportunities in Mexico. However, Amazon has to innovate technologically to cater to Mexicans specifically as they have not fully changed their shopping habits and have trust issues of online payment. Application of concepts Socio-cultural environment The demographical factors link this article to the socio-cultural environment.... [tags: Electronic commerce, Amazon.com, Online shopping]
901 words (2.6 pages)
- The benefits of online shopping With the increase of internet usage, the internet has impacted and taken over our society today. We use the internet for almost everything including; communication, shopping, world news, and even school. Booking a flight or a hotel via the internet has become the way to go to save money and time. People are able to shop for different hotels and flights without using a travel agency. I remember shopping with my mother, making a grocery list, and clipping coupons. Now, there are websites for just coupons.... [tags: Retailing, Online shopping, Department store]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- Social shopping allows users to easily compare products and offers, which enhances selection. This provides for user cost savings. The online environment offers a platform for users to share their experience. However, there are challenges to e-commerce. Marketers are scrambling to get people involved in their product. It is challenging to stimulate user interests, so they have an exciting experience to share. The goal of e-commerce strategists is to create a “sticky website.” They want users to stay on the site for a long period of time.... [tags: Electronic commerce, Marketing, Online shopping]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Online shopping is strongly beneficial for both consumers and businesses, as it allows ease of service, customization for customers, and can increase sales and reputation of businesses. Giving the consumer the ability to shop in the comfort of their own home, without spending a large amount of time, as they may experience at a Retail location, gives them the sense of freedom while purchasing. This can improve a Company’s reputation, and allow for targeting a larger mass market by appealing to customers.... [tags: Retailing, Online shopping, Shopping]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Online and in-store shopping is different in many ways. However, they both serve as convenient ways to shop. Online shopping has been a convenience for me, but I like in-store shopping as well. I feel the way people choose to shop changes depending on the situation. I have come to realize that many people are shopping online more and more rather than in-store shopping. Shopping online has been very convenient for people whose time is limited and don’t have time to go to the store. If you’re life centers around an online atmosphere such as an online profession or college classes then online shopping can be more convenient.... [tags: Retailing, Online shopping, Shopping, Marketing]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Cathy Huang Mr. Allen and Mr. Buys Junior Humanities Periods 3+4 02/24/2016 Online shopping vs in-store shopping Thesis: Online shopping is better than in-store one and will have more customers in the future. Since the internet came out and developed, online shopping has become important parts of many people. With the rapid development of the Internet in the world, more and more people began to start online shopping due to its convenience, time-saving and benefits. For the definition, Online shopping is an act of purchasing items or services on the Internet and has grown in popularity over years.... [tags: Online shopping, Amazon.com, Electronic commerce]
1592 words (4.5 pages)