In the year 1984 the dot com era began. By the year 1992 communication between people on the internet was possible. Today the internet is dominated by social community websites and is often a source for predators to seek out unsuspecting young victims. Burst, FBI special agent in charge, Counterintelligence and Cyber Divisions said in an article titled The Predator Fear,
“We started keeping statistics in 1996, and we opened 113 cases that year. Through fiscal
year 2007, we've opened 20,200 and arrested almost 10,000 subjects for sexually exploiting children online. So it's a crime problem that has grown exponentially over the years and continues to grow every year. ...”
In my opinion I believe we should protect children and continue to protect as this problem is grow...
... middle of paper ...
...mmunication between child and parent needs to be strong so that the child is comfortable in speaking about an online incident should it occur. As technology continues to move forward and more areas and devices offer internet service, it’s important to manage the risk wisely. Openly speak to your children about the dangers that lurk online. Establish rules and guidelines that need to be followed while surfing the web. Most importantly talk to them about what they do on the internet. Take the famous quote by Louis Pasteur, who said ,” Chance favors the prepared mind”. Reduce your chance of a problem by being pro-active about safe usage of the internet.
Computer History Musuem. Exhibits. 2006. Web. 25 Jan 2012
Peter Burst. The Predator Fear. 1995 – 2011. Web. 25 Jan 2012
Louis J. Freeh. A Parents Guide To Internet Safety. Web. 25 Jan 2012
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Online Learning and Adult Learner Adults are taking a more preferred method of education by taking online classes versus face-to-face traditional classes, which to most is a more affordable means. The balance of family and work is a very important factor when adding college courses to your daily routine. Many challenges stand before the adult learner such as time management, finding correct school, reliable computer and internet, and budget to take classes. What about the instructors are the trained.... [tags: education method, online courses]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction With the rapid pace of online courses’ increasing, enrollment in online courses have rising continuously for several years. “Over 6.1 million students were taking at least one online course during the fall 2010 term” (Allen & Seaman, 2011). Comparing to traditional class, online course offers several advantages to students, which include flexibility, adaptability, accessibility and so forth (Borstorff, 2007). For student who has high level of communication apprehension (CA), the most noticeable benefit the one could gain from online course would be communication via computer mediation, which has been called as computer-mediated communication (CMC).... [tags: education and the internet, online courses]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Safe harbors explicitly protected search engines and social networks from prosecution for users’ actions. (Herman, 73) In DMCA host websites are not responsible for users’ copyright violation behaviors and if host websites move users’ illegal materials online after they received notice they will not be charged. But in SOPA these host websites are responsible for everything on their website. They need to filter information users want to express before publication to prevent copyright infringement.... [tags: online, rights, protect]
1548 words (4.4 pages)
- Everyday millions of kids are bullied online; they are teased and called names that most people wouldn’t have the courage to say face to face. Cyber bullying is a very big deal, especially in our country considering how advanced we are in technology. Kids worldwide get cyber bullied every day, and can never escape it; it may affect you in ways unspeakable and actually is quite frightening. Cyber bullying can be hard to deal with, but it is even harder to prevent. “The use of electronic communication to bully a person typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature” (What is Cyber Bullying).... [tags: bullying, technology, deal, prevent]
535 words (1.5 pages)
- Online dating has become a hot trend in today’s society with numbers of sites and memberships growing everyday. “First, individuals do no have to leave their homes or workplaces to date… Second, the anonymity feature of the internet allows individuals to participate privately in dating without the oversight of others or the fear of stigma. Third, interactive online dating allows customers to experience new forms of interaction… Fourth, online dating sites serve up ‘perfect matches’ quickly,” (Rege 494).... [tags: in search for relationships website]
1814 words (5.2 pages)
- What exactly is SOPA. Not many people are aware of what SOPA is or stands for. SOPA is an acronym that stands for the Stop Online Piracy Act, and the act is aimed at stopping illegal acts of piracy and stolen copyright content by online users. Users caught with any such copyrighted content could be charged with felony and thrown in jail. However, the extent, reach, and threat that the act posses is often debated and suppressed by the online public. This is because many online users fear that the act threatens online activity and restrict their right and access to certain online content, such as Youtube or Deviantart.... [tags: SOPA, illegal file sharing on the internet]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- "Being frightened is an experience you can't buy." We are a society that adores fear. We thrive off of it; creating horror movies, shows like "Fear Factor", and the media in general are only a few examples. At the same time there are people who are afraid to leave their house and are possibly restricted to a single room. So what is fear. What is the purpose of being afraid. Why is it that some people will run and scream when they see a snake while others collect and breed them for their love of these majestic reptiles.... [tags: Psychology]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- The True Online Community What makes a true online community. There are many different types of online communities. There are those that focus on role playing and living a secret life, and there are others that are there to provide a place to vent emotions and to provide helpful information. I tried to join an online classroom that was similar to blackboard in some ways, but it turned out that I could only read articles and not respond to them. The web site was http://cyberdash.net/online1102/.... [tags: Internet Blogs Experience Essays]
1533 words (4.4 pages)
- According to the Oxford Dictionary, a phobia is an extreme or irrational fear towards something. Phobias are normally compared to ‘fears’. Usually fear is a normal part of life, as there are many things in life that seem to cause persons a slight sense of irritability, such as, insects, thieves, or even having operations. It is theorized that most people have a certain level of ‘sensible’ anxiety when faced with the vision of a medical treatment, especially when it might be ‘invasive’. Most humans show a tendency to be squeamish at the sight of blood, for instance.... [tags: phobia, heath, diagnosing ]
635 words (1.8 pages)
- Online shopping is becoming more popular with Canadians. For retailers, the implications are considerable. New strategies for attracting customers are being deployed by retailers that integrate ecommerce into their 'traditional' retail businesses. While retailers are benefitting from ecommerce business they must face on-going issues associated with utilizing ecommerce technology. Technology issues, security concerns and a rapidly growing industry are some of the challenges facing retailers within the ecommerce market.... [tags: Retail, Credit Card, Ecommerce]
707 words (2 pages)