Online dating sites promote initial interaction between prospective romantic partners. Once the beginner phase has been established, the question now is, when should I meet him/her in person? 65% of online daters in Whitty and Carr 's (2006) study reported arranging face to face meetings within one week of their initial online meeting. This encounter is essential because it provides additional cues that could either increase or shrink online daters ' perceptions of each other (Finkel et al., 2012), and therefore helps daters assess their offline romantic relationship potential (Whitty, 2008). Online daters might be unsure regarding whether it is better to meet prospective partners face to face soon after establishing online contact, or postpone offline encounters until trust is build and intimacy/interest have been established. Hence this study will indicate the effect of timing of face to face meetings prior to commu...
... middle of paper ...
...expectations. Ramirez and Zhang (2007) stated that partners who engaged in early interaction report a more positive POV forecast, a decline in doubt, and an increase in information seeking. Yet, individuals experiencing a late meeting with partner reported a lowered POV forecast, an increase in uncertainty, but a continued increase in information seeking. These two results imply a curvilinear association between the continuous indicator of time spent communicating online prior to meeting face to face, and daters ' POV upon switching to face to face contact.
This study ends at the point of the initial meeting, and consequently do not offer insight into long-term success. However, it provides strong support for advancing early face to face interaction and understanding the effects of online dating interaction on outcomes resulting from initial face to face meetings.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Online Dating Sometime you should take a chance and try new things. Meeting new people, the traditional way is outdated. Now, everybody is trying these online websites. I personally try online dating, and it took me a lot of emails to find that one person that I would give my time to. Yes, I did find someone, but we are better off as friends than lovers. There are so many different types of online sites that you could choose from that fits your daily life. Online dating is the new generation of meeting new people, and most of these sites cost money, have daily communication, and the outcome can be good or bad.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, EHarmony]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Have you ever tried to date someone online before. In America, online dating is becoming popular, 66% of online daters have gone on a date with someone who they met online, and 23% of them have actually met their spouses. In “Online Dating Odds Getting Better”, Katherine P. Harvey describes the improvements of online dating services in matchmaking industry. More people are able to find their mate through online dating. Most of the profits made by dating companies come from online and mobile dating services provide a lot of creative services.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- Tinder is a mobile dating app that has taken over the online dating world and alarmingly beat out its competitors. With its game like layout, which makes the app enjoyable to use, Tinder’s amount of daily users has exponentially increased. Tinder has become popular because humans are attracted to Tinder’s design and logistics which play into real life situations. Tinder sets itself apart from other dating apps because the app acknowledges human nature’s psychology of attraction, banishes the fear of rejection, and pushes its users enough to communicate with other users.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Introduction Online dating has changed the way people look for romantic partners. With websites like match.com, okcupid and even mobile sites like tinder finding a partner is only a few clicks away. These sites make it easy for the users to change small things like height, weight and even make their profession sound better. With the rise of photoshop the the ability to find any photograph on the internet, many online daters are cautious when using the sites. “In a survey of online dating users, over 80% of participants registered concerns that others misrepresent themselves” (Gibbs, Ellison, & Heino, 2006), and, in another large-scale survey, “deception was identified as the biggest perceiv... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Online identity]
1801 words (5.1 pages)
- In the twenty-first century, we use the internet for almost everything that we do. We use search engines such as Bing or Google to find information. Websites like Netflix and Hulu allow us to watch shows and movies without an expensive cable or satellite subscription. Social networks provide a new way to communicate with friends and family. Entire companies are run through the internet. With gas prices rising every day, it has also become increasingly popular to see a lot of jobs turn to telecommuting.... [tags: social issues, netflix, hulu]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Love, Intimacy, and Technology While movies, books, plays, and love songs certainly provide all individuals with a distorted view of both love and intimacy in today’s day and age, It also seems that it does not matter where love is mentioned or in what it is mentioned in people act like starved animals that are in need of a steak dinner. As a result all the information about love and romance and relationships that is available to individuals may provide them with a dreamy and fanciful view of love and intimacy in the digital age.... [tags: Love, Intimacy, and Technology]
1334 words (3.8 pages)
- Technological advances have made it faster and easier to form relationships with other people: social media sites, like Facebook and Tumblr, have allowed communication to be fast and instantaneous. In “Young People Let Digital Apps Dictate Their Identities, Say 2 Scholars” Marc Parry notes, “Apps can also foster deeper relationships. Online communities can support self-disclosure and a feeling of belonging, both important for developing intimacy” (33). In other words, expressing oneself through the use of apps can allow one to communicate their deeper emotions and thoughts, but while it is possible to create deeper relationships with people, there is the possibility that a relationship built... [tags: Communication, Facebook, Social network service]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Dating, the starting point where two individuals look forward to a romance. Romance is the second stage where love begins, which will eventually lead to a marriage. The question is, where can it start. People are often looking for someone to date, but where they begin has many options. Online dating is one of many choices that allow us as people to experience one thing that many desire, a shot at love. As a Aziz Ansari, author of the book Modern Romance, points out, you can meet someone through a friend, or a family member, or even through work or church(pg 81).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- There is no way to eliminate internet dangers completely, but there are ways to significantly reduce them. People continuously lie on their online dating profiles to make themselves more attractive to others. With the security feature of background checks this problem would be eliminated. Jeffrey Marsalis was able to present himself online as a fireman, trauma surgeon, and even an astronaut; this would not be possible if all online dating websites provided background checks on his information (Peters).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Online identity]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- On a Tuesday evening you were off work and decided to download the latest dating app your friends would not stop talking about. You tell yourself you have nothing better to do and had no plans that night, so how bad could it really be. Within 30 minutes you are already matching others, some of which you considered to be out of your league, but you take it as a compliment and message a few people. Things lead to another and you go on a date after talking to a guy for a week. Yes, a week. Online dating has increased in popularity over the past decade and some would argue this is the new and improved way to find your Prince Charming, while others feel there are too many barriers are risks invol... [tags: Online dating service, EHarmony, Online dating]
1644 words (4.7 pages)