In this case, the term “communication” refers to online dating site users’ opportunity to use forms of computer mediated communication (CMC) to interact with potential partners through the dating site before meeting face to face and/or speaking to the potential partner face to face after initial CMC. Methods of communication can vary from site to site. Some sites offer only more in depth forms of communication such as messaging systems and live chat, while others also offer less in depth forms of communication like a “virtual wink” (Finkel, Eastwick, Karney, Reis, & Sprecher, 2012).
Online dating encourages the alteration of the romantic acquaintance process. Before online dating existed, dating consisted of meeting a future partner through friends, family, work, or just a random run-in. Because of this face-to-face contact and conversation, it was...
... middle of paper ...
...of online daters develop the “shopping mindset” while trying to find a potential partner on dating sites and apps. This “shopping mindset” has many crucial features in common with shopping for goods and services. Online daters spend time looking through profiles looking for valuable or attractive traits (Lost in translation, 2015). Because of this daters become overly critical and in turn fluid and spontaneous interaction becomes discouraged which is part of poor communication (Gardner, 2012).
Online dating becomes more popular every day. With over 40 million users, it is one of the most talked about industries today. Even though online dating is very famous, it causes poor communication through the alteration of the romantic acquaintance process, the ease of exaggerating or providing completely false information, and the warped mentality it promotes (Gardner, 2012).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As an adult learner in an online learning environment, a certain amount of readiness skills will be necessary. Various information shall be presented to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of the online learning environment. This paper will identify the difference between the adult online learner and a traditional learner. The purpose of this research paper is to bring together statistics of the functionality of the adult learner within the online environment. The resources Literacy, numeracy, and edified citizenry aptitudes join the groundwork upon which is built the well-rounded adult learner (Tomei, 2010).... [tags: education, online, success]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- The Internet is an immense database that provides users with a tremendous amount of information on research, commerce, and entertainment. Unfortunately, as the internet keeps advancing, online predators continue to become more successful in what they do. The internet is an ideal network for pedophiles to pursue their interests and fixations with young children. It enables them to locate and interact with adolescents more rapidly than ever before. Although the idea of pedophiles luring children in on the internet is a horrifying image, it is happening.... [tags: Online Predators, internet, information techonolog]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- As technology continues to advance in our society, we find ourselves becoming increasingly occupied with the possibilities of the internet. As a result, there are more chances of online interactions than ever before. According to Whitty & Carr (2006), online dating is becoming the source of a vast amount of romantic relationships. Websites have become quite precise in the way they pair potential partners, using research driven models. These sites are simple to access and navigate to the consumer.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse]
1456 words (4.2 pages)
- A 16 year old decided she would send a nude photo to a guy who she was in a relationship with for two years. The guy who she assumed she was in a committed relationship with, decided he would betray her by sending her nude photo to everyone at their local high school. This situation, involving the use of social networking, was first overlooked by school officials, but quickly turned into something much larger. A parent took a look at her teenage son’s cell phone and discovered the provocative photo.... [tags: MySpace, Social network service, Facebook]
1520 words (4.3 pages)
- How excessive Internet use increasingly inflicts negative effects on our society "An estimated 147 million people worldwide accessed the Internet at least once a week from their businesses and home--more than double the 61 million who browsed the Net in 1996, according to a recent report by Computer Industry Almanac." The current estimated statistics show that there are over 63 million home internet users, and with the growing importance of the Internet in everyday life, excessive use and its negative effects are growing.... [tags: essays research papers]
705 words (2 pages)
- People have a lot of options in educating themselves online in today’s time and technology. Online education has improved a lot in the past twenty years. Even though it has had its setbacks, it continues to show promising results. Online education has many benefits with little to no disadvantages. It provides flexibility in scheduling and offers various options in educational online programs. In the past decade, education has evolved into a more technological-driven world. In today’s technological advancements, people have various options to educating themselves online.... [tags: Education, History of education, Higher education]
1359 words (3.9 pages)
- Online education has been progressively increasing and becoming more prevalent throughout modern society. As the technology advances in school systems, the presence of online learning should advance as well. Most Canadian universities already take part in this new era of learning, however not all institutions offer online courses to its full potential. E-learning courses should have an increased presence in Canadian universities because it is cost effective, convenient, and allows youth to advance in technological as well as practical skills.... [tags: Higher education, Education, College]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- The practice of online dating has become an increasingly popular and acceptable method of dating in modern society and looking at this social behavior from the perspective of a functionalist and a symbolic interactionist would involve very different focuses. A functionalist would take a macro or large picture approach to this, looking at how this new phenomenon fits into our society. The focus would be on how this relates to other institutions and how it contributes to stability and balance in society, for if it disrupted the functioning of institutions or society in general, it would not continue to be a plausible form of dating, as the general principle of functionalism is that all of soci... [tags: Sociology, Symbolic interactionism]
1732 words (4.9 pages)
- Chairs in a straight row, chalk squeaking on the chalk board, students gazing out the window daydreaming while their teacher is lecturing on Medieval Times. Is this a scene from 2014 or 1967. With so many new obstacles in students’ home lives and school settings and increasing drop-out rates, what better way to prevent, alleviate, or better yet solve these problems than use what we are increasingly using everyday; the internet. With higher education moving fast in the direction of online learning being second nature, students should also get this same alternative to the traditional educational method in high school as well as they look ahead to the future of their adult careers.... [tags: High school, Education, College]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- Building an Online Community Contents Vision and Mission Statement 3 Tagline 3 Background 3 Portal Outline 4 User Created Content 4 Web Portal Design 5 Discussion Forums 5 File Hosting 6 Search 6 Conclusion 6 Bibliography 7 Vision and Mission Statement The vision of Net Gamers Central is to become the paramount community web portal in the world of online gaming, providing large amounts of useful information as well as integral services to the online community. The Net Gamers Central wishes to cater to the needs of everyone in the online community and to become recognized as the forefront in all gaming news, tools and services.... [tags: Internet Social Networking]
1637 words (4.7 pages)