According to the articles the term Odysseus was portrayed as a hero just like the poem by Homer the Odyssey. The word Odysseus is mentioned in The New York time as someone seen as an epic hero, a person who has gone beyond trials and tribulation to overcome obstacles. Each article has a different storyline but the meaning behind the name remains the same. In the article The Aegean as Odysseus knew it, the writer actually travelled from Troy trying to get to Ithaca just like Odysseus. The writer wanted to walk into his footstep just to get a glimpse of what Odysseus has been through. The article made references to Odysseus 10 year journey home from the scorched and blood-stained plains of troy. Though Odysseus was heartbroken and was seen crying on the shores of Calypso not once did he lose sight of what was important and that was getting back home to Ithaca. Odysseus took ten years to get back to his land, his wife and son which showed patience and commitment the author only had eleven days to get back home because his wife was not that patient. Similarly, to Odysseus the author encounters obstacles in trying to follow in the footstep of Odysseus in his quest to locate Ithaca, which took him a total of eleven days to step onto the land of King Odysseus. Upon r...
... middle of paper ...
...ysseus is a real person who comes from a place called Ithaca and his story of his difficult journey home will inspire others.
Classical literature is perceived as being significant not just for the historical aspect but that it shows that the past can be a gateway to the present as events can easily be compared based on a writer or readers interpretation. The story of Odysseus of ancient Greece can be compared to modern day society depending on one’s perception. Metaphorically speaking his story can be considered an insight on circumstances, trials and tribulations that we face with the outcome being a feeling of satisfaction or a sense of solace. The term Odysseus was used in different context by each Author nevertheless, the meaning of the term remains the same in each article. That is Odysseus being a hero and the difficulties he encounters on his way back home.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- War and time combined together have the ability to ruin someone’s life. Odysseus, who went through war and then spent years away from his family and home still managed to survive after all the experiences he had throughout these long years. He did this simply to get home to his family in Ithaca, his journey set in ancient Greece. Heroicness, among many other things, is often evident in epic heroes, an archetype that Odysseus fits incredibly well. Odysseus’s journey is filled with Greek gods and goddesses, helping Odysseus on his way home to his son, Telemachos, and his wife, Penelopeia.... [tags: Odyssey, Greek mythology, Odysseus, Athena]
1050 words (3 pages)
- Tran Michelle Tran Ms. Vyse English 2 15 April 2016 Katniss. and Odysseus. Epic Hero Cycle There are many qualities within certain characters that help them in their quests. Though the characters may vary, the journey and the characteristics, in the end, are similar. Katniss and Odysseus both experienced the epic hero cycle and display similar characteristics. In the Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen was a girl whose purpose was to find a way to support her mother and younger sister. That is until she took the place of her sister as a tribute in the Hunger Games, an annual game held by the ruling Capitol as punishment for previous rebellions.... [tags: Hero, Monomyth, The Hero with a Thousand Faces]
2012 words (5.7 pages)
- Picture this: a hero of great legends who travels to the underworld and back to get directions to his home from a blind prophet. It sounds like quite an impossible journey, but that is exactly what makes Odysseus all the more fascinating. The Odyssey, an epic poem orally transmitted by Homer, a Greek poet who wrote The Iliad, had to contain some variety of attributes that Greeks valued in a person. That one embodiment of what the Greeks found intriguing in a character is Odysseus. Odysseus is known as what is called an epic hero.... [tags: Character Analysis]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- Picture this, a hero of great legends who travels to the underworld and back to get directions to his home from a blind prophet. It sounds like quite an impossible journey, but that’s exactly what makes Odysseus all the more interesting. The Odyssey, an epic poem orally transmitted by Homer, a Greek poet, had to contain some sort of attributes that Greeks valued in a person. That one embodiment of what the Greeks found intriguing in a character is Odysseus. Odysseus is known as what is called an epic hero.... [tags: Character Analysis]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- In Homer’s The Odyssey, the character of Odysseus is renowned as a noble epic hero. However, is Odysseus’ reputation truly justified by his intellect and cunning. Is he truly one “who for all craft am noted among men, and my renown reaches to heaven” (80). Or is he, as a mortal man, also susceptible to the temptation of pride and boastfulness. Nevertheless, while Odysseus shows instances of rashness and naivety during his journey, such as lingering in the cyclops’ cave and revealing his name to Polyphemus, he evidently matures as a character and epic hero throughout the journey, such as when he disguises himself when he returns to Ithaca and when he devises a plan to defeat the suitors.... [tags: Odyssey, Homer, Trojan War, Odysseus]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- Odysseus is an Epic Hero In mythology there are numerous epic hero's including Perseus, Odysseus, and Theseus. Some of the qualities of epic hero's are: values honor and glory, usually has a guide, sometimes makes rash decisions and takes unnecessary risks and more. Odysseus has all these Epic hero qualities. In the Myth the Odyssey, Odysseus is the epic hero who has all the epic hero characteristics including: making rash decisions, endangering his men, achieving his goal, accepts and invites problems, values honor and glory.... [tags: Papers]
540 words (1.5 pages)
- People are heroes in different ways for different reasons. American soldiers are heroes because they fight boldly for their country. Corrie Ten Boom is also a hero because she took risks and saved hundreds of Jews. Abraham Lincoln is another example of a hero because he fought for what he thought was right and helped free all slaves. Similarly, Odysseus, the main character in Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey, possesses all of these characteristics and many more, making him a true epic hero. First of all, Odysseus is brave and courageous, giving him the initiative to fulfill his goals.... [tags: essays research papers]
850 words (2.4 pages)
- The Odyssey is an example of Greek history portrayed in literature. As in all Greek literature, the epic hero Odysseus answers a call to action, suffers through great confrontation, and returns with a better understanding of life. Greek stories such as, The Odyssey set the stage for today's modern action movies with epic heroes such as Indiana Jones, Frodo from the Lord of the Rings, and Western cowboys like Roy Rogers and The Lone Ranger. The first characteristic that makes Odysseus an epic hero is that he answers a call to action.... [tags: Poetry]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Is Odysseus An Epic Hero. Is Odysseus, the main character of Homer’s The Odyssey, really an epic hero. An epic hero embodies several heroic traits such as; having superior or super-human strength; being intellectual and courageous; and being a strong and responsible leader. An epic hero struggles and is overwhelmed with difficulties. An epic hero is on a quest of self discovery, war or some sort of goal. In the Odyssey, Odysseus is on a quest to return home to Ithaca after ten years of war in Troy.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Odysseus: Epic Hero. The question has been raised as to whether or not Odysseus, the hero of Homers The Odyssey, is an epic hero. An epic Hero portrays many classic properties, including being very strong and courageous. Odysseus is an epic hero, because he portrays many of these and other traits, such as having a goal that is foremost in his mind, and having descended into the underworld. An epic hero is almost overwhelmed with difficulty, often beyond that which a normal man could withstand. Not only is he confronted occasionally by danger or hopelessness; it is the entire premise of the poem.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
671 words (1.9 pages)