In "Ocean’s Eleven" Steven Soderbergh did a great job as a director in keeping the audience interested throughout the whole movie time. Path-goal theory of leader effectiveness can be easily applied to the movie. The path-goal theory by Robert House holds that the leader can affect group’s performance, satisfaction and motivation by offering rewards for achieving goals, clarifying paths towards these goals and removing obstacles to performance.
After being released from prison, Danny Ocean (Clooney) finds out that Las Vegas kingpin Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) is seeing his ex-wife Tess (Julia Roberts). Danny sets up a goal to steal millions from Terry and his ex-wife back. Then he shares the “highly lucrative and highly dangerous” plan with old friend Rusty (Brad Pitt) – to knock off the vault of the Bellagio Hotel, which covers the MGM Grand and the Mirage as well, during the night of a big fight to the tune of about $150 million. According to House’s theory what leader can do is affected by situational factors – the environment and subordinates personality. The great situational factor that caused Danny to consider casino robbery was heavyweight boxing championship being held in Las Vegas. Danny and Rusty ( the leader and co-leader ) can't pull this off alone so they find the team ( the followers) they'll need for creating "Ocean's Eleven." Each team member selected has different skills and abilities, and therefore only sticking together they will be able to achieve the common goal. Linus Caldwell (MATT DAMON) is selected as a proficient pickpocket , Basher Tarr (DON CHEADLE) and Livingston Dell (EDDIE JEMISON) are chosen for their expertise in explosives and technica...
... middle of paper ...
... eleven had different plans where to spend the money, so considering it they were all motivated to get the money so they can follow their plans of how to spend it. The only exception in this case is Danny. It appears to me that his true motivation was to get his ex-wife back and revenge the guy who stole her from him. Also, there is some thrill in the job as well- doing something illegal and not being caught. If the plan goes successfully, it would be the largest casino robbery in history.
The theory of motivation is not simply about individual interest in rewards, but also about the associations a person makes towards expected result, and the contribution one feels he can make towards the outcome. To summarize, the ocean’s eleven was a successful plan due to each of team member’s motivation and valuable contribution that they made towards the common goal.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ocean’s Eleven Path-goal Theory In "Ocean’s Eleven" Steven Soderbergh did a great job as a director in keeping the audience interested throughout the whole movie time. Path-goal theory of leader effectiveness can be easily applied to the movie. The path-goal theory by Robert House holds that the leader can affect group’s performance, satisfaction and motivation by offering rewards for achieving goals, clarifying paths towards these goals and removing obstacles to performance. After being released from prison, Danny Ocean (Clooney) finds out that Las Vegas kingpin Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) is seeing his ex-wife Tess (Julia Roberts).... [tags: Movies Film]
1638 words (4.7 pages)
- ... Ocean is now clean shaven, wearing a suit and can now be seen as much more clearly with the high-key lighting showing all of his facial expressions. The colors that were used in the setting gives a welcoming feel and the unnatural/artificial light lightens up the whole scene. Right after that shot, the next shot still has the camera fixed on Ocean walking into a casino floor. This points out that the casino contains a lot of wealthy rich people spending money on slot machines and various other gambling games.... [tags: facial expressions, heist film]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Investigating How Genre and Narrative are Established in Ocean's Eleven and The Bone Collector In order to examine how genre and narrative is established in two crime films, we conducted a close textual analysis of Ocean’s Eleven and The Bone Collector to find out the main conventions. The main conventions of the crime genre are law enforcers, criminals and action sequence. There are also other signifers such as criminals and etc. You can find typical iconography in the crime genre; the most obvious one is a gun.... [tags: Papers]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- ... Violence seems to be a normal everyday thing that happens all around us and it's a normal masculinity for men. This video enlightened me to rethink my own participation in masculinity. Ocean's Eleven I picked the movie Ocean's Eleven, this film was one of my favourites growing up I looked up to these stars and I felt like they were what a real man should be like. It's about a group of con's and ex-cons who work together for a big heist to rob 150 million dollars from a vault in Las Vegas. The main character is Danny Ocean he's fresh out of prison and looking to do a new job.... [tags: media, violence, society]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- Imagine more than half of the population of Kenosha being over-taken by a deluge of water without warning or the ability to escape. On December 26, 2004, an earthquake measuring 9.0 on the Richter scale, occurred in the Indian Ocean off of the Samaritan coast, triggering the deadliest tsunami in recorded history. Before the tsunami, this region of the world was one of the most sought after vacation spots. After the record-breaking destruction, the pristine beach front and inviting residents were forever changed.... [tags: Tsunami Research paper]
2303 words (6.6 pages)
- The Northern Pacific Ocean, there obtained the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. The Gyre is created by a high pressure system off the air, it moves in a clockwise spiral and moves very slow. Ocean gyre is a circular ocean current formed by the Earths wind pattern and created by the rotation of the planet. Then enter an area of the gyre is very calm and stable. The Circular motion of the gyre tends to draw in debris. The motion of the gyre prevents garbage and other objects from escaping.... [tags: environmental degradation]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Missing MH370 Flight The Boeing 777 jet disappeared in the South Indian Ocean on March 8, 2014. There were 239 passengers and crew members onboard of the plane that day. The air searches for the missing flight will end April 14th . They are preparing a robotic submarine to scan and map the oceans floor. The Bluefin is about 21 inches wide and 16 feet long. It weighs 1,650 pounds and can dive to a depth of 14,700 feet. It uses nine battery packs that can last for over 24 hours and has a 4 gigabyte flash drive.... [tags: missing plane, bluefin sub, us navy]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- ... These missions are: 1) Port, Waterway and Coastal Security - Conducts patrols, gathers, and analyzes intelligence, and assesses vulnerabilities in order to deter terrorist attacks; also helps keep a consistent territorial integrity.2) Defense Readiness - Takes part in military operations worldwide, generally in support positions.3)Illegal Immigration Control - Uses ships and aircraft to intercept and detain illegal immigrants who are traveling by water.4)Search and Rescue - Maintains emergency-response stations and a communication system for helping those in distress.5)Aids to Navigation - Manages and monitors U.S.... [tags: ice operation, ocean, illegal activity]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- Steven Soderbergh’s Ocean’s 11 movie is produced with so much wit, brains, dazzle, and virtuosity that hit me like a bucket of ice-cold water. It made me wonder what was gonna happen next. Danny Ocean (George Clooney) is an ex-con and professional thief who is a compulsive charmer. Less than 24 hours after he struts out of prison in his penguin suit from a Jersey pen, the charismatic thief is already rolling out the most intricate casino heist in history with his eleven experts in Vegas—America’s playground.... [tags: Film Movies]
459 words (1.3 pages)
- Marianas Trench is not only the deepest known spot in the ocean; it is also a Vancouver-based rock band. The band consists of guitarist Matt Webb, bassist Mike Ayley, drummer Ian Casselman, and lead singer Josh Ramsay. Marianas Trench has had major success in Canada and is now moving towards the United States of America (USA). Originally, the band Marianas Trench was called Ramsay Fiction. Marianas Trench contributed a song, Alibis, to the spring 2007 soundtrack for ABC Family's sci-fi show Kyle XY.... [tags: Deepest Spot in the Ocean, Water, Sea]
1238 words (3.5 pages)