According to Jill Peaston, the diverticula normally forms in the weak areas of the lining of the bowel or according to Meerschaert, the colon wall. When one experiences constipation, this causes the colon wall or lining of the intestines to strain. According to Meerscharet, diverticular disease was first discovered in the United States where it is common to have low amounts of fiber in one’s diet. Meerscharet also exclaims that diverticular disease is rare in countries such as Asia and Africa because residents of those countries eat high amounts of fiber in their diets. The amount of fiber that one consumes can determine whether or not they will develop diverticular disease.
Diverticular disease is a common intestinal disease (Tufts University) which Americans have a high risk of getting due to the low amount fiber in their diets. Without enough fiber in one’s diet, there can be difficulty in releasing excrement from the body. Not only does low consumption of fiber lead to di...
... middle of paper ...
...rams for men (Meerscharet).
Below I have provided a seven day meal plan that focuses on foods that are high in fiber and total to 1,500 calories per day.
"Diverticular Disease On The Rise." Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter 16.8 (1998): 6. Agricola. Web. 25 Nov. 2013.
Meerschaert, Carol. "Fill 'Em Up With Fiber." Today's Dietitian 13.12 (2011): 26-28. CINAHL Complete. Web. 25 Nov. 2013.
Peaston, Jill. "Diverticular Disease." Chemist & Druggist 277.6819 (2012): 16-19. CINAHL Complete. Web. 25 Nov. 2013.
"Veggies And Fiber Linked To Lower Diverticulitis Risk." Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter 29.9 (2011): 1-2. CINAHL Complete. Web. 25 Nov. 2013.
Seibert, Andrew, MD. Diverticulticulitis Slideshow: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments of Diverticulitis.(2011)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Most individuals get well by arranging a better diet and the results of this treatment also prevent constipation and the formation of more diverticula. The components of the healthy diet includes fruit, vegetables and grains such as raw apples, peaches, pears, and tangerines, broccoli squash carrots and brussels sprouts, potatoes, baked beans, kidney beans, and lima beans, whole-wheat bread, brown rice, bran flake cereal, and oatmeal (Longstreth). Doctors often advise individuals with diverticulitis to bypass any food that is hard to digest such as: popcorn, corn and seeds, however there is no evidence to coincide with this statement (WebMD).... [tags: prevention and treatment, good nutrition]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- When pockets develop in the wall of the colon, this is called diverticulosis. The pockets that form are called diverticula; the pockets pick up fecal matter as the body’s waste is propelled through the colon. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are classified as diverticular disease. The main difference between diverticulosis and diverticulitis is that there is no inflammation, and with the second there is. Approximately 80 percent of the individuals who have been diagnosed with diverticulosis never advance to the more serious condition, diverticulitis.... [tags: Disease]
594 words (1.7 pages)
- Here is something to think about, your brain. Think about all it does for you, it helps you think, listen, taste and much more. Without it who knows where the human race would be. In today’s society mental health is becoming known as a real disease, as it should be and people are feeling more open to talking about this serious issue. There are a great deal of different aspects that affect mental health issues today. Some are genetics, lifestyle, jobs, friends and family members, self view and nutrition.... [tags: Nutrition, Brain, Food, Norepinephrine]
1514 words (4.3 pages)
- Personal Nutrition Assessment Project I think this project was a great opportunity for me to learn how to educate and guide patient’s in making better nutritional decisions with the help of my using MyFitness Pal. I think MyFitness Pal is an excellent resource for any patient that is interested in improving their nutrition. Nutrition is often neglected by patient 's, therefore, as dental professionals it is important to use the latest technology to attract our patient’s to become more interested in their nutrition.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Eating, Vitamin]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- The Latin phrase “Esse quam videri”, which means “To be, rather than to seem (to be)", has grown to be the foundation of my undergraduate, clinical and professional work since I was introduced to it at Drexel University in 2009. This moto speaks beyond just being true to oneself; it covers a multitude of core values. It represents one’s accountability, knowledge, respectfulness, experience, visions, dreams and goals. Everybody is a nutrition expert, but not everybody is an expert on nutrition. I am looking to enhance my career by advancing my studies and research of nutrition and metabolism for human health and disease.... [tags: Nutrition, Health, Medicine, Nutrient]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Nutrition Therapy for Cardiovascular Disease It is imperative as a nurse to develop an understanding that caring for a patient goes beyond the physical care given and it includes a holistic aspect: caring for the body, mind and soul. This holistic approach can be applied when assessing patients’ nutritional status and helping them implement healthy life choices, while living with a disease and possibly the comorbidities caused by the disease. Specifically, cardiovascular disease (CVD) and the comorbidities associated can be highly preventable with adequate nutrition, regular exercise and management of a healthy weight throughout life.... [tags: health prevention, diseases, disorders]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- Statistics from the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition indicate that “over 78 million U.S. adults and about 12.5 million (16.9%) children and adolescents are obese. Recent reports from the same council project that by 2030, half of all adults (115 million adults) in the United States will be obese.” Current overweight children have a higher percentage of becoming obese adults and will fill this projected estimate. Fast food is one of the leading causes of obesity in the U.S. An old proverb states “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” simply stated, eating healthy keeps one healthy.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Obesity, Hypertension]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- The world of foods and nutrition has changed dramatically in recent years. It used to be eggs, red meat and whole milk, but now many doctors recommend leafy green vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains. The old way has gotten many people into trouble. Heart disease, Cancer, and other problems have become an epidemic. That’s why nutrition is so important. Many children are struggling with weight and many have artery damage. Its hard to turn on a television program without being assaulted by endless commercials for fast food.... [tags: Nutrition]
447 words (1.3 pages)
- Nutrition is an important issue in my life for many reasons. The most important being my major, dental hygiene. I’ve taken a couple nutrition courses already. I also simply care for the fact that what we eat is associated with our health and how long we may live. Before I went to the website I didn’t expect to see many healthy benefits to eating McDonalds so I guess I was prepared. It said that McDonald’s food is linked to serious diseases because of the high fat and low fiber content. I know from my nutrition classes in the past that a low fiber diet is linked obesity, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, colon cancer, and many more things.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Nutrition Paper When I first began this project I thought the 7 day eating log was going to be a waste of time, but now that have completed it I realize that it is actually very beneficial. I never realized how bad I was eating until I took a step back and looked at it. This has greatly impacted me to change my eating habits, and start to chose healthier foods. Something I learned about myself is that I have a lack of will power when it comes to certain types of candy or food. I saw ice cream come up more than once on the list, which isn’t very healthy.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
525 words (1.5 pages)