One of my greatest skills is being able to be compassionate towards others. By placing myself into someone else’s shoes, I find myself being able to better understand where other people are coming from. I am an extremely caring person that will go to great lengths for anyone. I can easily overlook the differences in other people, and this is what helps me get along with almost anyone that I come across. In order to lead people in a positive direction you need to be able to relate to them on a more personal level. It is much easier when people feel comfortable around their leader. I always like to lend a helping hand or even a shoulder to cry on when it is needed. My strengths include integrity, optimism, faith, innovation, and adaptability. These strengths are important to have in leadership positions. Leaders should have a firm hold on their beliefs and morals in order to have a positive impact on people. Keeping my commitments is crucial to me, because I am a woman of my word. I think this is a good trait in leadership, because people need to be able to count on the person that they look up to. Optimism is also something I value. I belie...
... middle of paper ...
...eing a role model or a leader is such an important position. I have learned a lot of things about myself while writing this paper. I have learned that I am not very vocal and bossy towards others. I am the type of person that does not like to be in charge because I do not like the pressure of having to lead other people. However, throughout this paper and class I have learned that I can still be a leader even if I am not in your face about things. I can still make a change and make an impact on people through different ways. This paper taught me a lot about what leadership means to me.
"What is Nursing?." Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2013.
"Why be a Nurse?." Why Be A Nurse. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I believe that leadership is not something that you are born with, but that has to be learned over time. You learn to become a leader from watching other leaders, and also from personal experience. People should become leaders; so that they can help others do their best. They should not become leaders for the title and power that may come with leadership. Being a leader does not mean you get to boss people around by telling them what to do. The purpose of a leader is to guide others by encouraging, showing them the way, and by challenging them to do the best that they can do.... [tags: Leadership Philosophy Essay]
1685 words (4.8 pages)
- There are many ways you can define leadership, the basic definition for leadership is the action of leading a group of people or an organization "Leadership." I feel as if leadership is beyond just that. Leadership is not only about leading people, but inspiring people to better themselves or even being a person they look up to and trust. This is why I feel that leadership has an infinite amount of definitions. Growing up people experience different kind of leaderships. I grew up with the opportunity to experience two different styles of leadership.... [tags: Nursing Essays]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- I believe nursing is more then just a career, it is a lifestyle. Knowledge and skills are the foundation of nursing, however passion, compassion, and leadership are central to diligent nursing. My personal philosophy for nursing is to strive every day to be better then the last, to make a difference in myself and in others, and to never forget what it is like to be human; we all make mistakes and we can all learn from them. The foundation of nursing and nursing practice is demonstrated in the nursing metaparadigm which consists of nursing, person, health, and environment.... [tags: Nursing, Health care, Illness, Health]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- A leader is someone who influences others and convinces them to move towards a certain goal at a certain time. Some people are naturally leaders born with the characteristic to lead, but others require learning leadership and management skills to succeed. A great leader will need emotional intelligence, right personality and the ability to lead. Almost everyone gets the opportunity to lead or manage at some point in their lives, and here is where skills are tested. Leadership and managerial positions are different although at times many people use them interchangeably.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Nursing, Skill]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Annotated Bibliography - Nursing Leadership Priority - Mobility Lorber, M., Treven, S., & Mumel, D. (2016). The Examination of Factors Relating to the Leadership Style of Nursing Leaders in Hospitals. Our Economy (Nase Gospodarstvo), 62(1), 27-36. doi:10.1515/ngoe-2016-0003 Theories are used to explain leadership under various classifications, which are derived from behavior and personality and are used to establish behaviors for determining the style of effective leadership.... [tags: Leadership, Nursing, Health care, Health]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Nursing Shortages and Nurse Turn-Over: Effective Approaches in Leadership and Management Nursing shortages and nurse turn-over is a growing issue among the nursing profession. The main reason for this growing problem seems to be dissatisfaction among nurses with some aspect of their job. Nursing leaders and managers play a vital role in job satisfaction and ultimately nurse retention. Through this paper, I will identify the roles of nursing leaders and managers and examine the different approaches that each take to ensure job satisfaction among their staff and co-workers, as well as how they manage nursing shortages and nurse turn-over.... [tags: nursing profession, health care environment]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Manager and Leader are always in demand in any organization (GCU, 2011). Any organization requires strong and capable managers and leaders to function well. In health care of today or any business, leaders are needed to face the challenges of the 21st century in making sure there is the smooth running of the organization through the inspiration and persuasion of the organizational members. To make the organization a more perfect workable environment, the managers and leaders work so hard in planning the important roles in helping to develop and maintain a perfect functioning workplace.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Goal]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Are you tired of having a horrible nursing leaders. Are you tired of the abuse of power by your leaders. Are you tired of your ideas not being heard by your superiors. Are you tired of your supervisors not lifting a finger to help you with the workload. Are you also tired of your leaders not having the right social skills to manage the unit. Are you tired of all the leaders being man. This woman is the right candidate to be your nursing leader. She is the best to improve the outcomes of your patient’s safety and staff satisfaction.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Patient]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- In block one, we focused on the foundation for great leadership. We first learned about developing a personal leadership philosophy, which I thought was a great experience. As a leader before this course, I did not know exactly why I did the things I did; that was how I led my group. Now learning about the different leadership types, I can say I am more of an X-leader and understand the pros and cons that come with being an X leader. I enjoyed the activities associated with finding my personal leadership philosophy, as I am always wanting to learn about my personality.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership, Skill]
1530 words (4.4 pages)
- In developing this idea of what leadership is, I examined what was most important to me in being a leader. Since leadership is such a broad term, this could not be a process whereby I could generalize leadership for everyone. Rather, the task is to determine who I am as a leader. I asked myself, what is it that shapes the vision. What are the factors that comprise a leader, and what makes these things add up to create something larger than ourselves as leaders. Thoughtful reflections on these things lead me to generate the following definition of leadership: Leadership is about more than simply having followers; it is not a title, and it is not achieved by just following a few p... [tags: definition of leadership]
1068 words (3.1 pages)