Nine Inch Nails versus Johnny Cash
The song “Hurt” written by Trent Reznor and originally performed by his band Nine Inch Nails is a melancholy, haunting song. Nine Inch Nails’ version was recorded in 1994 and rerecorded and released by Johnny Cash in 2002. Each of the performers has a style, which some people would argue is at opposite ends of the spectrum of popular music; one is what is referred to as “Industrial Rock”, the other is country. Indeed, the musical genres are diverse; however, the song “Hurt” transcends the boundaries between old and new, hard and soft, and especially the differences and similarities between these men.
Nine Inch Nails is known for their industrial rock sound which combines synthesizers and percussion to produce sounds that remind you of a steel yard in Pennsylvania. This is probably a testament to the fact that the bands’ lead singer, Trent Reznor was born and raised near those steel yards (“The Nine Inch Nails Wiki,” 2012). Johnny Cash’s version speaks to those familiar with growing up during a rough time or not having much; people considered the down-trodden. Growing up in a religious family in Arkansas seems ingrained in the way Cash performs the song. Johnny lived a hard life on a cotton farm (“Johnny Cash,” 2012).
Reznor and Cash both graduated from high school. Cash set his sights on the United States Air Force while Reznor decided to go to college to study production. Cash was seeing the world in 1950; he was assigned to Germany, specializing in Morse code used to spy on the Soviets. It was Johnny Cash who would be the first radio operator to pick up the news of Joseph Stalin’s death (“Johnny Cash,” 2012). On the other hand, Reznor d...
... middle of paper ...
... song represent each man almost equally in that each man has a difficult, dark past. Each song, while different at first, have many similarities in their result. So if the industrial version by Nine Inch Nails does not appeal to you, maybe the country/gospel version by Johnny Cash is right up your alley.
“Hurt Lyrics.” (2012). Retrieved on March 28, 2012 from http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/johnny-cash-lyrics/hurt-lyrics.html
“Johnny Cash. Biography.” (2012). Retrieved on March 30, 2012 from http://www.biography.com/people/johnny-cash-9240610?page=5
Sharples, K. Johnny Cash, 'Hurt' & Trent Reznor - A review. (2011). Retrieved on March 30, 2012 from http://www.stagepassnews.com/articles/vox/johnnycash_hurt.html
“The Nine Inch Nails Wiki.” (2012). Retrieved on March 30, 2012 from http://www.ninwiki.com/Trent_Reznor#The_Early_Years
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Alternatives for Acrylic Nails Consumers During the past few years the concept of acrylic nails have become a big industry across the world. Occupying an important part especially in females. The obsessive search for beautification has led to the use of cosmetics as a way of encountering that perfect appearance. Although that perfect appearance may result at a high price. Acrylic nails consumers rarely are aware of the consequences of the use of highly harmful chemicals contained by artificial nails.... [tags: history of artificial nails]
1390 words (4 pages)
- William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic "Johnny Mnemonic," is a short story written by William Gibson. It appears in a book of short stories written by Gibson called Burning Chrome in 1986. Gibson is a writer of science fiction and one of the first to write in the new genre called cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is a type of fiction that examines a futuristic world dominated by computer technology, massive cartels, and cyberspace. In other words, its an artificial universe created through the linkup of tens of millions of machines (Gibson 904).... [tags: William Gibson Johnny Mnemonic Essays Papers]
2187 words (6.2 pages)
- A large portion of contemporary film and theatre has been lacking in substance. More often than not, we are presented with a “been there, seen that” scenario. One such exception to this rule is Hedwig and the Angry Inch, a film by John Cameron Mitchell that was released in 2001. Set primarily in post-Cold War America, Hedwig is a film that characteristically breaks convention. Our story follows Hedwig, a forgotten and confused homo…trans…well, human being. Growing up in East Berlin during the Cold War, Hansel Schmidt (John Cameron Mitchell) lives what I would call a horrible childhood in the bleak landscape of communist occupied Germany.... [tags: Gender Studies, Academic Essays]
1986 words (5.7 pages)
- Johnny Walker Sera walked into Circle K on fifth st. without noticing it had not been remodeled since 1986, and that someone from another, more financially kept city might actually find the convenience store to be disgusting, the dirt being so thick on the windows that you could only see blurry faces on the inside. Inside she saw five people in the store and believed that all of them were staring at her, looking through her like they knew more about herself than she did. The clerk, she thought, had even looked up from her monotonous duties at the cash register to glance her wrinkled leathery face in Sera's direction.... [tags: Johnny Walker Short Story Essays]
1308 words (3.7 pages)
- June Carter Cash helped Johnny cash quit using drugs and also helped him stop drinking. June carter was Johnny cash’s second wife after Vivian liberto and she too was a musician like Johnny cash. “June and john met in 1956 backstage at an Elvis Presley show”. (JOHNNY CASH) They went on touring together and john and June grew fonder of each other. Finally at a show in front of thousands of fans June carter agreed to marry john after he proposed to her on stage. They both lived happily for thirty-five years and they also had a child together named john carter cash.... [tags: music, june carter, drinking, columbia records]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Political Novels of The Jungle and Johnny Got His Gun Introduction: Although writing has been around for thousands of years, the medium of books is a relatively recent phenomenon. In the mid 15th century, German Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press that made multiple, cheap copies of works that were easily available for the masses. With the help of other technological developments including the linotype in the mid-1880’s, the printing process became easier and faster and therefore books became cheaper and more available.... [tags: Politics Junge Johnny Gun Essays Papers]
5117 words (14.6 pages)
- Jeanette Winterson's Written on the Body and Caryl Churchill's Cloud Nine In Jeanette Winterson’s Written on the Body and Caryl Churchill’s Cloud Nine differences between male and female roles in society become distinct. Through these differences, an intricate web of male and female characters seems to be woven, and we can see the clarity between gender roles. With the support of Churchill’s Cloud Nine by Jeffrey Barber, “You see, I am no stranger to love”: Jeanette Winterson and the Extasy of the Word by Celia Shiffer, and “Body Languages: Scientific and Aesthetic Discourses in Jeanette Winterson’s Written on the Body,” the idea of love and gender roles present in Jeanette Winterson’s Wri... [tags: Winterson Churchill Cloud Nine Essays]
3247 words (9.3 pages)
- Artificial nails have been around since the Ming Dynasty of China as a status symbol in the Chinese society. Today artificial nails are used as fashion accessories and extensions to the natural nails. Artificial nails come with a long list of pros and cons that you have to into consideration when taking this route with your natural nails. There a various types of fake nails to choose from with unique cosmetic appeal. But with everything that is appealing comes with a few drawbacks that ranges from the harsh chemicals to create the artificial nails and the infections you can contract from the fake nails.... [tags: fashion accessories and extensions]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- In this day and age of technological advances, women are able to improve their appearance and boost their confidence by going through all sorts of treatments and services. One such service is the application of acrylic nails. Acrylic nails are a great way to cover up the appearance of weak or brittle nails. They are a good option for women that bite their nails and are not able to have long nails. Although acrylic nails come in a variety of designs and look very attractive, they have bad long term effects and cause the nails to become weak for a long time after their removal.... [tags: Beauty]
565 words (1.6 pages)
- June Carter Cash helped Johnny cash quit using drugs and also helped him stop drinking. June carter was Johnny cash’s second wife after Vivian liberto and she too was a musician like Johnny cash. “June and john met in 1956 backstage at an Elvis Presley show”. (JOHNNY CASH) They went on touring together and john and June grew fonder of each other. Finally at a show in front of thousands of fans June carter agreed to marry john after he proposed to her on stage. They both lived happily for thirty-five years and they also had a child together named john carter cash.... [tags: biography, musician]
822 words (2.3 pages)