Nicotiana attenuata and Pollination Defense
Pollination, or the spreading of pollen by external means is a vital part of the Nicotiana attenuata plant's reproductive system. Pollination allows male gametes to reach another plants stigma thus allowing fertilization, however when pollination is carried out by animals feeding on the plant's nectar, harmful herbivory may also result. This paper will focus on the Nicotiana attenuata plant and its' chemical defenses against pollinating herbivores. More specifically, recent research done on how Nicotiana attenuata can change pollinator in response to herbivory.
What is Nicotiana attenuata?
Nicotiana attenuata is a nicotine plant found in the southwestern part of the United States. These plants are most abundant in recently disturbed or burned areas because it germinates after a fire has struck (Preston, "Positive and Negative Signals" 481). The flowers of this plant are frequently visited by Selasphorus rufus hummingbirds, Manduca sexta hawkmoths, and various species of bee (Baldwin, "Patterns and Consequences of Benzyl Acetone" 2327). During the night the flowers are open and nectar is produced and by midday the flowers of these plants are closed, suggesting nocturnal pollination (Aigner, 1). Each flower has five anthers and the seeding occurs after pollination. Out of the three types mentioned, Manduca sexta is its primary pollinator (Kessler, "Making Sense of Nectar Scents" 840) and the shape and color of the flower is typical of moth pollinated plants (Sime, 1). The nectar produced by these plants is a rich sugar substance that attracts pollinators to itself and is the most desired by these species of pollinators (Alder, 1519). Nicotiana attenuata's nect...
... middle of paper ...
...nantly Self-Fertilizing Native Tobacco." BMC Ecology. 3.6
(2003): 1 - 9. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
Steets, Janette, and Tai-Lynn Ashman. "Herbivory Alters the Expression of a Mixed-Mating
System." American Journal of Botany. 91.7 (2004): 1046–1051. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
Strauss, Sharon. "Floral Characters Link Herbivores, Pollinators, and Plant Fitness.” Ecology.
78.6 (1997): 1640 - 1645. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.
Vandam, Nicolem, Uta Hermenau, et al. "Instar-specific Sensitivity of Specialist Manduca sexta
Larvae to Induced Defences in Their Host Plant Nicotiana attenuata." Ecological
Entomology. 26. (2001): 578 - 586. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
Wünsche, H, S Mitra, et al. "Silencing 7 Herbivory-Regulated Proteins in Nicotiana attenuata
to Understand their Function in Plant-Herbivore Interactions." Functional Ecology. 22.
(2008): 606 - 615. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- About one mouthful in three in our diet directly or indirectly benefits from honey bee pollination (United States Department of Agriculture: Agricultural Research Service). Incase you didn’t know, bees don’t just pollinate flowers and make honey, they pollinate important crops such as apples, almonds, alfalfa, and many more Midwestern crops that are vital in the American agricultural system. The estimated number of bee colonies has been dropping in recent years and that is a major concern considering the vast amount of insect pollinated crops in the Midwest.... [tags: Beekeeping, Pollination, Honey bee, Insect]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- "The Affluenza Defense: Judge Rules Rich Kid’s Rich Kid-ness Makes Him Not Liable for Deadly Drunk Driving Accident" -- Madison Gray, Time.com The relationship between motive and consequence is a complex one, and is made even more debatable when context becomes involved. Throughout our judicial history, the line between responsibility and exemption remains razor-thin in its subjectivity. If a woman murders her husband, but was abused by him for years, why is this considered different from a murder where the perpetrator wasn’t abused.... [tags: The Affluenza Defense]
1956 words (5.6 pages)
- Insanity. When some people think of the word “insanity”, television shows comparable to Law and Order and NCIS may come into mind. Due to some of these shows, one may not fully comprehend what is insanity. In this paper I will discuss what insanity, a brief history of insanity and how it impacts today’s society, furthermore, I will also discuss my personal thoughts on the subject. What is the insanity defense exactly. The insanity defense can be defined as “A defense asserted by an accused in a criminal prosecution to avoid liability for the commission of a crime, whereas at the time of the crime, the person did not appreciate the nature, quality, or wrongdoing of the acts.” In order to und... [tags: Insanity defense, Mental disorder, Crime]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- Performance-Based Logistics grew out of the efforts to comply with Section 912c of the 1998’s National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Section 912c called for the use of the best commercial practices, competitive sources, modernizing through spares, program manager oversight, and the expansion of the prime vendor programs. In 2001, the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) mandated the use of PBL to make the supply chain more efficient and improve the readiness of major weapons systems. On May 12, 2003, DoD Directive 5000.01, The Defense Acquisition System, directed Project Managers to “develop and implement performance-based logistics strategies that optimize total system availability while mi... [tags: National Defense authorization Act]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- The pollen is constituted by a multitude of microscopic granules contained in the pollen sacs of the anthers of flowers and has the appearance of a powder, coloured differently depending on the flower. These granules are the male reproductive cells of the plant. This powder is easily carried by the wind and can reach the female organs of the flowers, the pistils. The other way of pollination than that of pollen dispersal is the fertilization of flowers, when it is given by bees and other pollinators.... [tags: powder, bees, ecosystems]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- Defense mechanism, in psychoanalysis, any of a variety of unconscious personality reactions which the ego uses to protect the conscious mind from threatening feelings and perceptions. Sigmund Freud first used defense as a psychoanalytic term (1894), but he did not break the notion into categories, viewing it as a singular phenomenon of repression. His daughter, Anna Freud, expanded on his theories in the 1930s, distinguishing some of the major defense mechanisms recognized today. Primary defense mechanisms include repression and denial, which serve to prevent unacceptable ideas or impulses from entering the conscience.... [tags: Defense Mechanisms]
3474 words (9.9 pages)
- Insects are some of the most important creatures in our world. They play a very large role in many tasks that are vital to human surviva,l like pollinating and effective decomposing. Insects have impacted science, environment, human development, and food supply in a variety of ways. Insect pollination is one of the primary beneficial functions of insects on human development. Insect pollination as we all know, is the process that enables reproduction and fertilization by the transfer of pollen performed by insects.... [tags: plant species, angiosperms, flowering plants]
946 words (2.7 pages)
- With the end of the Cold War, "today's most urgent threat stems not from thousands of ballistic missiles in the Soviet hands, but from a small number of missiles in the hands of these states, states for whom terror and blackmail are a way of life. They seek weapons of mass destruction to intimidate their neighbors, and to keep the United States and other responsible nations from helping allies and friends in strategic parts of the world" (Bush 2001). "These states" refer to rogue states, such as Libya, Iran and North Korea.... [tags: Military Defense]
1285 words (3.7 pages)
- 'A Defense of Abortion' by Judith Jarvis Thomson In the article 'A Defense of Abortion' Judith Jarvis Thomson argues that abortion is morally permissible even if the fetus is considered a person. In this paper I will give a fairly detailed description of Thomson main arguments for abortion. In particular I will take a close look at her famous 'violinist' argument. Following will be objections to the argumentative story focused on the reasoning that one person's right to life outweighs another person's right to autonomy.... [tags: Defense Abortion Articles Essays Thomason ]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Defense Spending When the terrorist attacks occurred on 9/11 it did more than just affect the comfort level of American citizens. It had an all around impact on how this country will be run for years to come. The one economic impact that I will concentrate on is that the attacks, arguably, but directly effected the U.S. GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and how the national budget will be handled from that day forward. Since the attacks a number of civil defense programs have been initiated, which leads to more departments asking for an allowance within the national budget.... [tags: Fiscal Defense Spending Budget Military]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Communications Case Study: Personal Experience at the City of Beverly Hills
- Bhutan and Plastic Bags
- The Yellow Wallpaper and Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been
- Water for Elephants
- Don't Be a Drag, Just Be a Queen
- Transition Planning for Adolescents with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities