Historical Attractions of New York State
Home to the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederation, New York has an interesting history that predates the arrival of Europeans in the 17th Century. Under the leadership of the elders of the Iroquois Confederation, New York is home to one of the oldest representative democracies seen in the Americas. Also New York is known for giving the Native American game of lacrosse to the world.
In 1609, the Dutch arrived in the area of present-day New York City and set up the colony of New Amsterdam. While the City of New York has long since engulfed this original settlement into its teeming metropolis, remnants of its pioneering spirit can be found in interesting historical museums throughout the state.
As the State of New York developed, it was annexed by the British in 1664 as a crown colony and became one of the most important colonies in British North America. By the time of the American Revolution, New York State had one of the busiest ports in the Western Hemisphere and was the most populous colony in British North America. Because of this fact, almost one-third of all of the battles in the American Revolution were fought within the borders of the state. This means that there are a number of famous military battlefields like Saratoga, Fort Ticonderoga, and Long Island that offer people intere...
... middle of paper ...
...turing world-class musicians or simply a relaxing afternoon feeding the birds, this park offers something that everyone is sure to find pleasurable.
When you look at all of the attractions to be found in New York City and in New York State, it is easy to see why this state is one of the most exciting places to visit in the United States. Regardless of what your interests are, you are definitely going to find something that is absolutely magnificent in New York.
Heather Cross, “Top 10 New York City Tourist Attractions and Landmarks,” About.com
Shawn M. Tomlinson, “New York State Tourist Attractions,” USA Today
“New York State,” Wikipedia
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- : 1. Propose how you would ensure the HR strategy is in alignment with the business strategy. To ensure that the HR strategy in in line with the business strategy I would make sure that HR was working as a unit with the rest of the company and also learning from other communities what Marrits , strategy is in the hotels chain industry not singling it out. HR is an extension of the company itself and by having to promote the excitement of what the job entails of working, at a world famous resort, the company is making sure that the people who are coming into the company are those who are upbeat, have the proper experience with the type of specialty are will to relocate to this part of t... [tags: Human resource management, Human resources]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- In Aldous Huxley's self-created dystopian society, controlled by biotechnology, genetics are edited to perfection and babies are manufactured in bottles through Ectogenesis1. After visiting America in the Roaring Thirties, Huxley admired the confidence, vitality, and "generous extravagance" he found in American life and the American people. However, he began to see the destructive spiral that Totalitarianism had on society, especially with his experiences in Italy under the reign of fascist leader Benito Mussolini (Barron's Educational Series).... [tags: genetics, biotechnology, conditioning]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- By a simple definition, conjugal visits are private visits that are scheduled for an inmate and their spouse or common-law partner for a certain period of time. Duration of those visits varies between countries therefore they could be from several hours to several days. For instance in Canada, inmates are entitled to up to 72 hours conjugal visits every two months, which is equivalent to 3 full days (csc-scc.gc.ca). During the visits both inmate and visitor are required to obey by the rules and responsibilities as listed by Correctional Service Canada.... [tags: Prison, Rape, Human sexuality]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- ... Facebook is more appealing in the 18 – 29 year old age bracket. Twitter is also more appealing in the 18 – 29 year old age bracket, African-Americans, and urban residents. Finally, Instagram is more appealing to African-Americans, Hispanics, urban residents, women, and the 18 – 29 year old age bracket. Strategic Groups within the Industry Strategic groups are defined as a set of firms that emphasize similar strategic dimensions and use similar strategies. The strategic groups within the social media industry are social networking, social blogs, wikis, podcasts, and social bookmarking.... [tags: new sales and marketing channels, revenue]
2780 words (7.9 pages)
- What I learned from the Visits Every school has challenging for the children to achieve their own potential. What is best for the students. The Head Start and Fair Elementary School in Louisville educate their students about value and use of statistics in a contemporary and dynamic matter. They allow every student chance in everyday learning to achieve high standards goals. They learned their student to absorbent mind, prepared environment, use a didactic material, and practice activities. They allow their student to become independence, observation, and hand-on experience.... [tags: Education, Educational psychology]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- Massachusetts offers lemon laws which protect buyers of new and used cars from substantial issues with their cars. Massachusetts is unique in offering a lemon law for used cars, as it is one of six states to do so (Helperin). Massachusetts offers many remedies to buyers who are in possession of a lemon, such as a refund, a replacement, or legal action to force a dealer to replace a lemon. Lemon vehicles are a danger to society because they pose risks to their drivers and other drivers around them.... [tags: Automobile, Vehicle, Vehicles, Lemon law]
2344 words (6.7 pages)
- Introduction: The study I will be conducting is based on uncertainty; the uncertainty individuals have on whether they should visit the doctor even when they know they should. There have been previous studies on this similar topic. For instance, there was a study conducted on a longitudinal Web- based survey that assessed participants’ level of relational uncertainty, degree of intimacy, and the openness of communication about relational uncertainty. In selecting a time frame of 6 weeks, they were informed by previous longitudinal and retrospective studies of relationship development (Theiss & Solomon 2008).... [tags: Relational Uncertainty, Degree of Intimacy]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Adopting. As the benefits of video visits are numerous, there should be efforts on the part of healthcare industry to provide it to their patients. As suggested previously in the article; healthcare providers to demonstrate the benefits of video visits to the community can initiate workshops and pilot projects. Not all pilot projects started become successful. Nevertheless, if the general population can be made aware of the advantages, this technology has to offer then this innovation can be sustained in the end.... [tags: Health care provider, Patient, Health care]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- Prisons are meant to help rehabilitate the way of life for people who have committed crimes. However, the criminal justice system has not proved to be as effective as it should be. Two thirds of people who come out of prison are rearrested within three years (Parker, 2009). I believe this is because the justice system has failed and individuals are not receiving the services for a successful transition into the community. Instead, they remain as criminals. I strongly believe that allowing inmates the right to conjugal visits will help ensure a criminal is rehabilitated and ready to re-enter society.... [tags: Criminal Justice]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Problem Definition Invisalign offers a unique solution to malocclusion—virtually invisible, it is aesthetically more pleasing, comfortable, easier to administer, and easier for patients to maintain better oral hygiene. Despite 75% of Canadian and American orthodontists trained to use the system, there is a low conversion rates in orthodontists who adopt Invisalign. The company has been using a push strategy in an attempt to win over orthodontists—the orthodontists are the gatekeeper to patients and revenue they need to cover the high costs they are incurring as they pursue their growth strategy.... [tags: Orthodontics, Dentistry, Dental braces]
1065 words (3 pages)