I have been to several different types of denominations over the course of my life time. I was raised to go to where the Lord felt was right for me. So, as I was trying to decide what I wanted to write my research paper about the New Salem Association of the Old Regular Baptist stood the most. I find the New Salem Association of the Old Regular Baptist to be very interesting. Their beliefs stand out the most to me. The New Salem Association of the Old Regular Baptist has many different beliefs.
Such as, the New Salem Associations believes that the preacher is called by God, and not chosen by men. Some religions and denominations believe in paying people to preach sermons to them. The New Salem is completely different they are willing to preach to the congregation, and not receive any money from them. They believe that they are paid through God by blessings. The preachers are schooled entirely from God and not from a seminary school (Huff, Carolyn).
The New Salem also believes that when they preach, the words come from God and not man. The other associations of the Old Regular Baptist also believe this to be true as well.
The New Salem Association does not believe in using instruments when they si...
... middle of paper ...
...ing that all of the negative criticism just makes them stronger.
Burnett, John.”Before Churches Had Songbooks,There was
‘Lined-Out’ Gospel’.” October 15, 2013. 12 April 2014.
Huff, Carolyn.”The Old Regular Baptist.” 11 April 2014.
Osborne, David. Rasin’ Cane in Appalachia.Appalachia:
Tafford Publishing, 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What I said was altogether false against my grandfather and Mr. Burroughs, which I did to save my life and to have my liberty; but the Lord, charging it to my conscience, made me in so much horror that I could not contain myself before I denied my confession…”(Godbeer 147). This is a portion of a quote from the Recantation of Margaret Jacobs, (Hutchinson 30-31) who was accused of witchcraft during the infamous Salem Witch Hunt of 1692 that took place in and around Salem, Massachusetts. Nearly seventeen years old at the time, Margaret Jacobs confessed she had participated in the practice of witchcraft along with former Puritan minister, George Burroughs, and her own grandfather, George Jacobs... [tags: Salem witch trials, Witchcraft, Magic, Salem]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Old Testament Final how the Old Testament and New Testament are related. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: One of the ways we know that the Old Testament and the New Testament are related is the both contain the infallible written word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16) (Myers) The affiliation between the Old Testament and the New Testament echoes both the endurance and incoherence amongst the Christian and Israelite.... [tags: New Testament, Bible, Jesus, Old Testament]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Who wrote the Bible. I can assure you that not many people have ever really asked themselves this question and really looked behind it to find out the answer. Several people have probably never wondered who since when they think of the Bible, they think of God. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” I can personally say I have never really thought about who wrote it, since I have always believed it was God himself. For me the Bible is more than just a book, it is a word of God.... [tags: New Testament, Old Testament, Jesus, Bible]
1380 words (3.9 pages)
- Justice a commonly used term throughout history dividing the world into what 's wrong and right.justice is based on honesty, and equality for all. Justice is the fundamental system that keeps control over within our society. Human justice is based solely on god 's laws who categorize the “just” from “unjust”.The bible is used as a set of guidelines given to the world by god for his children to reach their full potential and achieve righteousness. Within the bible the old and new testament are compared and contrasted to show the ideal image of justice and what it takes to achieve while also showing how each testament handles it differently.... [tags: Bible, Old Testament, Jesus, New Testament]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- Forgive the length of this, but I really wanted to get this off my chest after so many years. I’ve been a Christian for my entire life, but I do not consider myself a religious person. I was raised in the Lutheran church so most of my beliefs come from there although I don’t really associate myself with any church anymore. When I was around 17, I began to become skeptical and question my beliefs due to being subjected to logical science most of my life. I can’t ignore logic, as that would be, well, illogical.... [tags: Christianity, New Testament, Old Testament]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction The Bible contains sixty-six books in different styles. In the beginning it tells a story of God’s movement of creation, and the series of stories about the lives of people who overcome battles by using a faith-based journey. With the last sixty-six book of revelation, which is the most difficult book to understand, it describes the details of an eternal place call Hell. To understand substance of the bible you will have to obtain the history, cultural, and the literary background of the bible.... [tags: Bible, Old Testament, Jesus, New Testament]
1976 words (5.6 pages)
- The Holy Bible speaks about the death penalty in both the Old and New Testaments. In the Old Testament the death penalty is certain and instantly applied whenever one commits a crime. This began to change in the New Testament, as crimes could be defined as against the law or worthy of death (Holy Bible: NT), and as Jesus Christ began to minister to all people. There are places in the New Testament that suggest that if people break the law they deserve to be put to death, but in other places God speaks of mercy for those who are innocent or have committed a lesser offenses.... [tags: New Testament, Jesus, Bible, Old Testament]
762 words (2.2 pages)
- Which is better the Old or New Testament. What significance does one have over the other. These are questions which are slightly complicated to answer, but they can in fact yield some interesting answers. For instance, the answer to the first question is really more of a preference, one person may enjoy reading the Old Testament because it has more of a historical factual feeling at times, while another person may enjoy the New Testament because it often offers the feeling that one is reading a story.... [tags: Old Testament, New Testament, Torah, Judaism]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- The Salem Witch Trials, a series of horrifying events that occurred over 300 years ago, comprise one of the darkest chapters of American History. They began as two Salem girls lit the spark for a wildfire of hysteria and confusion that would consume the innocence of Salem Village. A year and twenty needless deaths later, the trials were put to a sudden stop. In addition, many theories behind the horror relate to events still taking place in the world today. Although this American tragedy occurred hundreds of years ago, the underlying reasons are still not fully understood.... [tags: Salem Witch Trials, American History]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Year 1692, Hundreds of people, accused with the conviction of witchcraft, stoned to death, or in confinement with no justice trials. “From June through September of 1692, nineteen men and women, all having been convicted of witchcraft, were carted to Gallows Hill, a barren slope near Salem Village, for hanging” (The Salem Witchcraft Trials of 1692) What caused the mass hysteria and disaster of Salem; for, the answer is unknown. Yet, many events and factors had contributed to the accusations, the punishments, and the confessions of the sentenced.... [tags: Salem witch trials, Witchcraft, Salem]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- Examining the Latino Population in the US through Two Films: Quinceañera and Spanglish
- Why Methamphetamine is Such a Popular Drug
- Effect of Electronic Health Records System Adoption in Heath Care Settings
- Why It Is so Important to Preserve Our Rainforests
- A Brief Biography of Andrew Carnegie
- The Dollar and Sense of Preventive Care