The group approaches their music with the intent to blend their cultures, there is no "'either/or' that asks people to choose between culture and politics ." They utilize both "modern dance [with the blend of] traditional drum beats .” The group goes out of their way to work with others and form a compilation of music that combines attributes of their music. The group demonstrates the ease at which their music was produced, by noting that both types of music are compatible, they are both "dance and dance" oriented. The music gives an implication of "both/and" rather than "either/or" when they explain that their music is a "two way street" as mention by group member Ian Campeau (or stage name: DJ NDN), people who know traditional music can be introduced to electronic, and those who know electronic to traditional. Since electronic music is so broad in its definition, it can be proved that these types of blend do introduce many types of individuals to a different culture. It's evident in groups from foreign countries, especially Europe and Asia, who have music that appear here in North America and we are...
... middle of paper ...
...ad culture that counteracts stereotypical views of natives; the group even released a public statement declaring that their "non-native fans" refrain from wearing "red face [and] headdresses" to their shows . The group is establishing the alternative way of thinking about native culture.
Examining a change is culture is quite fascinating, especially to see in the form of music. A Tribe Called Red is defiantly doing something great for the culture that surrounds them. The nature of modern native culture is quite complex, but through analysis can be understood. I would deem A Tribe Called Red authentic; they have their intent stated, their music unique, and the markers of their heritage to make a blend as well as training in electronic music. The evolution of our culture is occurring and this type of music is ATCR's culture now, and to the many who have heard them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Stanford University Pow Wow Eucalyptus Grove comes alive with the beat of the drums, sending chills of power trickling down your spine. All around you are people, over 30,000 weaving in and out of over 100 booths. Despite the tickle of your nose from the dust kicked up by the passionate dancers in the arena, you are greeted by the smell of foods representative of different tribes. The crowd is colorful in dress, face and purpose; the songs represent and evoke different emotions.... [tags: Descriptive Stanford Essays]
4933 words (14.1 pages)
- The nearby conversation over the phone faded away. Slowly, as I reflected on my thoughts, I anticipated the imminent future where I would be living with a step-mom. Good relationships cannot be willed into existence. I wasn't willing to, nor did I need to adopt another parent. The fact was: I was completely content with my life until my father decided to remarry. It dawned on me that when we would spend time together, it would no longer be as intimate an experience. After all, two is company and three is a crowd.... [tags: step-parents, family, ]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Companies are not unlike species, they must both change with the current environment or risk becoming extinct. Charles Darwin succinctly states this idea, “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change.”1 In the case study, “Other People’s Money,” in the scene presented there is a proxy vote going to take place by the shareholders of the New England Wire and Cable (NWC) Company. But, before the votes are casted both the Chairman of the Board and patriarch Andrew "Jorgy" Jorgenson and the potential majority shareholder Lawrence "Larry the Liquidator" Garfield are afforded the opportunity to deliver speeches to the body of... [tags: New England Wire and Cable]
1921 words (5.5 pages)
- 6. Billy wakes up after his night of morphine induced haze in the POW camp and finds himself irresistibly drawn to two objects hidden in the lining of his coat. He goes back to sleep and wakes up to the sounds of the British building a new latrine. We go into Lazarro’s dark past and violent past and exclaims that he will have all of his enemies killed after the war, including Billy. Billy knows that this is true as he will be shot in 1976. At that time, the United States has split into twenty small nations and Billy will be lecturing in Chicago on the Tralfamadorian’s.... [tags: Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut, Kilgore Trout]
1764 words (5 pages)
- Mega POW A very wealthy king has 8 bags of gold, which he trusts to some of his caretakers. All the bags have equal weight and contain the same amount of gold, all the gold in the kingdom. Although, the king heard a story that a woman received a gold coin. The king knew it had to be his gold so he wanted to find the lightest bag in the 3 weighing, but the mathematician thought it could be done in less, so I need to find out the least amount of weighing it takes to find the lightest bag. Also, the king used a pan balance for all of his weighing.... [tags: essays research papers]
965 words (2.8 pages)
- Crime in New Orleans is treacherously high; it has been the worst year since 2004. The ordeal lies with trying to teach old dogs new tricks instead of doing the unattainable the justice system should focus on children who are still innocent and deserving of a better future. Kids need persistent discipline, but if their parents are sluggish on the matter how are they going to learn right from wrong. P.A.S.T. will help teach kids that the violence is nothing but history. The program will help children in any household setting because the program’s converge doesn’t have much to do with the children’s parents, nor is it optional.... [tags: P.A.S.T., Step Process]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- World of Warcraft (WOW) Introduction According to the World of Warcraft Community Site, World of Warcraft is “a massively multiplayer online game…enabling thousands of players to come together online and battle against the world and each other. Players from across the globe can leave the real world behind and undertake grand quests and heroic exploits in a land of fantastic adventure” (“World of Warcraft Guide“). Although the origins of MMORPGs can be traced to the 1970’s, the release of Ultima Online and Everquest, commonly called UO and EQ respectively, in the late 1990’s brought MMORPGs to a broader PC gaming audience.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2404 words (6.9 pages)
- After the end of the Second World War American cities saw the development of suburban communities. These large planned communities moved a large number of people from the dense urban areas and spread them out on the outskirts of that same city. As the people moved away from the city the business followed as well. The distances that these communities are from the city is dependent on how long people are willing to travel for and by how efficiently an automobile can move individuals from one place to another.... [tags: Urbanization]
2096 words (6 pages)
- Robert Leevarinpanich Mr.Vasquez ELCAP P4 05 April 2016 Step-By-Step For many years, women have strived for gaining equality with men. They have been held back and their opportunities taken away from them because of the fact that they were women. There is also, generalized in western cultures, a stereotype that women are fragile and should be more dedicated to maintaining the home, doing feminine things, that they shouldn 't work, and be discouraged from intellectual thinking. In the Victorian period (1837-1901) aside from women 's suffragette movements the Victorian woman usually upheld this stereotype of a well-behaved wife, more or less a possession then an individual.... [tags: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper]
1413 words (4 pages)
- Awarding Six Medals to the Three Released POWS The military has lost its mind by awarding six medals to the three released P.O.W.s. I do not mean to rag on the three troops -- although one did write a "Thank You" note to his prison guards for his swell Motel 6 treatment, but more to the point is the damage such giveaway policies do to our military awards programs. Remember what Napoleon said about awards: "Give me enough ribbon and I will conquer the world." So that all of you have a complete list of the awards the three "heroes" got, I will list them for you: Purple Heart Army Commendation Medal P.O.W.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
1103 words (3.2 pages)